Xterra reviews?

Sgtplatt

I've been looking for a decent suv. I can't afford a newer jeep, can't afford an avalanche, but the xterra seems perfect and affordable.

I was looking at the 2005, has to be automatic, and under 70000 miles. Anybody here own one and capable of letting me know something about them?? Mostly used for commuting, snow driving, and home depot/dump runs. And maybe the occasional run on the trail if the pathy breaks or gets too stuck..

Len

Yeah, the 2000-2004 is very similar in configuration and design to the WD21 Pathfinders. They're good trucks, if a little slow, and thirsty. But overall they're very reliable.

The 2005+ Xterras have proven to be reliable as well, but with a few more issues, some of which could be quite serious. If you're looking used, make sure there's no engine noise, sounding like a rattle. This is typically the timing chain guides are worn due to oil starvation. The repairs for which is very expensive.

Other than that, the automatic versions had some issues with rads leaking internally into the transmission cooler (or vice versa) and coolant would end up in the transmission, essentially killing it. The solution here is an external transmission cooler, bypassing the stock one. Just be sure to check the transmission fluid of any perspective purchase, and make sure the transmission shifts properly.

Otherwise, they have WAY more power than a WD21, better mileage, and would be more than capable of filling the needs you've outlined.

What's wrong with the WD21 you have now? I see an Xterra as a bit of a downgrade in a few departments. The old Pathfinders may be slower but I can guarantee they have better fuel economy when they run right. Check out my fuel economy log if you are interested in what a WD21 is capable of getting. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tungsten11/pathfinder

If you have trouble getting a WD21 without any rot on it, the 2000-2004 Xterra is your next best choice. The 2005+ ones seem to have only gone down again in quality but you do get even more power at no expense of fuel economy.

I'd like to see how many of us claim to get that mileage out of our WD21's.

Otherwise, they have WAY more power than a WD21, better mileage, and would be more than capable of filling the needs you've outlined.

I'll trust the guy that owns and wheels a Xterra for more power and better gas mileage.

Plus the aftermarket for Xterras is more plentiful.

What's wrong with the WD21 you have now? I see an Xterra as a bit of a downgrade in a few departments. The old Pathfinders may be slower but I can guarantee they have better fuel economy when they run right. Check out my fuel economy log if you are interested in what a WD21 is capable of getting. http://www.fuelly.co...en11/pathfinder

If you have trouble getting a WD21 without any rot on it, the 2000-2004 Xterra is your next best choice. The 2005+ ones seem to have only gone down again in quality but you do get even more power at no expense of fuel economy.

His WD21, I believe, is SAS'd and, I'm also assuming, used to belong to Packie88. Not exactly daily driver friendly.

You can make a SAS friendly for daily use. If not, another WD21 or a WD22 (00-04 Xterra) would be two good choices. An early R50 would be a great choice too as long as it doesn't have rotten strut towers.

My dad has 2012 xterra, and while it doesn't have that many miles on it yet, we've noticed the construction, especially interior is not as good as the older ones. It does have a lot of power though, but I find the leaf sprung rear end will hop around a lot on the highway. It gets marginally better mileage than my wd21. Traction control is annoying as you can't shut it off unless you're in 4lo. Though this might not be an issue if its just a DD.

Having owned an '06 I can say it would be perfect for what you want to do. I wouldn't buy one as a wheeler, but they have plenty of grunt, tow well, are comfortable and reliable.

As mentioned, the timing chain guides were a recall item, you can hear them go out, sounds like a super charger or ground noise. RPM dependent whine. Also the tranny cooler tends to make a milkshake with the radiator, but there are documented remedies.

The diffs are weaker (R180 front c200 rear or a D44 variant in manuals and offroad package) but if you are not using it on the trail they are plenty strong.

Plus's: amazing engine, rack and pinion steering which is effortless. Lots of interior space, room for an inflatable queen mattress in the cargo area. Just remember your maintenance items will be spendy.

They are coil on plug, the hubs are not serviceable as they are one unit. Yet,for a modern vehicle, they are easy to work on. Hope this helps.

My buddy has an '01 with 250K miles on it. Original engine and trans with paperwork from almost new. Hasn't needed much... it runs perfectly amazing and the trans is still nice and firm. It's pretty beat up but seems to be a pretty tough cookie.

My pathfinder is in near garbage shape. Other than brakes, exhaust, shocks, frame rot, power steering blowing all under hood, rear axle pinion seal, hiem joints a little worn out, filthy interior, lack of sway bars, messed up head lights, missing glove box, one black fender, etc..., it's in decent shape. I think the pathfinder is a little better for around town playing then open highway cruising. Plus, I nd to pull a trailer occasionally, and this is a smidge too tall.

I like the ride height and interior space of the xterra, which is why I was looking. Plus, when I get the pathy stuck, or it breaks down, a Xterra would be more capable than most other mid SUVs out there to bring rescue eqiupment.

I would be interested if anybody knows who might have built this pathy tho, I heard it was built in mass, but couldn't get through inspection, so was sold to a guy in ct, where we don't have inspection laws.

Len

Really, in CT?

B

I'm not 100% certain, obviously. But it just REALLY looks like it, and I seem to recall the same issues with Packie88's truck. I could be way off...

I've been looking for a decent suv. I can't afford a newer jeep, can't afford an avalanche, but the xterra seems perfect and affordable.

I was looking at the 2005, has to be automatic, and under 70000 miles. Anybody here own one and capable of letting me know something about them?? Mostly used for commuting, snow driving, and home depot/dump runs. And maybe the occasional run on the trail if the pathy breaks or gets too stuck..

Len

Most of the pro's and con's have been mentioned...I've had mine for the last 3 years 250,000 kms with some heart ache with repairs. The only thing I have not seen mentioned yet are the Cat's that tend to go pretty fast and that's an expensive repair if you can't find some in the salvage yard.

When you go check them out bring an OBD2 reader and you will know if you should make an offer or head for the hills. If you want to ask me any specific questions feel free to message me. I can give you a check list of things to look at since all '05 are off of warranty so any without an auxiliary transmission cooler you are taking a costly risk. Nissan gave me the shaft since my mileage was over their recall limit when my transmission died.

Since its 2005 you are looking at check out - theNewX.org - you can see the good the bad and the ugly. If you want to see my truck my profile name is Pav there.

Best way to describe the 2005 X - Poor Man's Porsche Cayenne

I'm pretty sure this isn't packie88s pathfinder. Mine has diff bumpers, his looks like it has trimmed rear quarters, mine are stock. Also, his profile says 5.13s, mine are 5.38s.

Thanks for lead on previous owner.

I was only thinking of a 2005 xterra, because I figured newer would be better. But after reading a bit, I'm kinda leaning back towards the 2004 era.

Len

• Like 1

I have an 00' Xterra so I guess I am allowed to take part in this thread now.

As far as most first year models go, they usually tend to have a group of problems that come with them. My X has 160,xxx miles on it currently and she runs amazing. The power difference is noticible when going from a WD21 to a WD22. They are pretty well set up for longs trips and what not. By this I mean, the interior is set up pretty well for placing things in pockets and holders within easy reach. The one problem I have always had is that the back seats don't fold down like the pathfinder. You need to remove the entire seat cushion then fold the seats flat. (kind of a pain in the ass wen trying to find space for the cushions after) The only problem that needs addressing currently is my fan clutch? Or so my dad's friend says. The fan wont turn on while she is hot and it is causing her to overheat when you shut the engine immediately after driving and don't turn off the ac also when using the ac in local traffic. Other than that, you will be changing to Drum brakes in the back (They have been working just has good as the pathfinder) and alot more plastic on the exterior. The only problem I personally had with my drum brakes were a piston in the brake blew. My dad and I had to change the piston and then bleed the brakes. I have seen some guys throw a WD21 rear axle on their X's to give them disk brakes. You will also be introduced to the not so fun world of leave springs. I personally don't like leaf springs. I like my coil springs like on the Pathfinder. For a normal DD they do not hinder any abilities you would need on the road anyways so it shouldn't be an issue. The steering with these vehicles, I'm not sure if they fixed it over the years, is extremely stiff compared to my WD21 steering which I can turn with my finger. So be wary of that. Other than that the WD22's are pretty great. They heat up much much faster than my WD21 in the cold. My X has more power to play with (still not enough, thinking about going supercharged). They get pretty okay mileage. About the same as my WD21 which gets 17 mpg, 20 if my dad drives apparently. I doubt I ever got more than 17mpg's out of my X but I love her.

How do the 2000-2004 pathfinders fair up compared to an xterra?? They look lower and smaller.

99.5 Pathy owner here, who has wheeled with an Xterra club for years -- the R50 is definitely lower. I believe it is a bit longer and wider... but not by much, ditto for the interior space.

That said, I can drag my Pathy anywhere the Xterras go, and I've pissed off more than one X owner by showing them up. :) (How I love that!!)

If you're thinking about wheeling an R50, you'll definitely want to invest in protection (skids and sliders). I have to look at my lines a tad different than the X's and sometimes I need a bit more skinnypedal to make it through (er... drag myself over stuff). Been wheeling the Pathy since 2005 (Holy crap? Where did the time go!), and she's still in good shape. Some may push you away because it's a unibody, as opposed to a body on frame like the WD21/22 - but that hasn't slowed me down. Only difference as far as I have been concerned, is that I am limited for a lift (only have the 2" AC lift), but it's gotten me by just fine.

>> AFAIK, Packie88's truck is still in WA, his parents still had it, last I heard. That was a few months ago.