R50 wheels painted

dynomax

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my recently painted wheels...

My wheels clearcoat was undermined by years of salt and sand, so being cheap, I painted them rather than buy new ones. Monday when they have cured a bit I will finally mount my Duratrac's. Ever so happy to remove the Mickey Thompson baja ATZ!!!

Pre-Condition, cleaned up a bit, and weights removed.

IMG_0733.jpg

Primed and Painted. I used duplicolor primer, and 4 coats (2 cans total) of duplicolor Graphite wheel paint.

IMG_0739.jpg

Clearcoated, 3 coats (2 cans)

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I am going to mount the duratracs white letters out, after some debate.

There are a few runs, being the first set of wheels I've painted, and had a bit of an issue with the clear, that is a known duplicolor clear issue. I sprayed the first one, and about half way, it started turning white. So I went to the computer, and apparently the white goes away as it cures, and UV helps it, so I put them in the sun for a few hours, and it is basically gone, all except on the last one I did, and the sun was setting, so maybe a little more sun tanning tomorrow will fix it!

All in all, for around $40, I think they look pretty good, the wheels were originaly polished face, and painted about the same grey color inside the spokes, now they are all graphite.

I have somewhere around 4-6 hours in to them, including drinks :)

Edited by dynomax
  • Like 1

Those look great! I love the color. I have the exact same wheels. So you painted with the color, and the the clearcoat on top of that after it dried? Or was it one of those deals where the clearcoat was buit in?

Those look great! I love the color. I have the exact same wheels. So you painted with the color, and the the clearcoat on top of that after it dried? Or was it one of those deals where the clearcoat was buit in?

Nope, I degreased, sanded very well (used emory and steel wool in valve stem and lug nut holes) cleaned again for dust, primed twice.

The next day I sprayed the duplicolor paint, 4 coats, 3 light, and a heavy final coat, and waited 10 mins between all coats.

Waited 1 - 1.5 hrs, and did 2 coats of clear 3 medium coats.

I got a little scared on the primer when it turned a bit white, but after reading about it that is normal temporary side effect of the duplicolor that went away after about 1 hour in the sun.

Little update... heres the duratracs mounted on the painted wheels. Centre caps were left alone, they are slightly lighter.

Sorry about the lack of mud, they just got mounted! Hunting season is right around the corner!

IMGP5130.jpg

IMGP5132.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is by far my favorite color/ texture for refinishing orig aluminum wheels that I have seen thus far.

Yep I think Ill do this on my 97 - probably wait until I put my new tires on (then mask) to avoid dings at the tire shop

nice job!

Your rims are identicle to mine and I do not like them...at all. But that is just me. I don't like the lego's either. I'm keeping the steel rims from the wreck of the ol' 98..rust and all. I put the White Wall Wrangler to the inside though..but that's just me again and great minds think opposite..

• 2 months later...