True dual exhaust?

MadMax2

A cat won't start any fires if you're ride is running properly. The only way it will start a fire is if that thing is glowing red hot from running rich. If it's doing that it's going to be junk in no time anyway. I'm on my 2nd year with mine and have had no issues at all. I've had these on an old Malibu I owned that was running rich and sure enough they lasted about 2 days before the insides started to come apart. However once I got it running properly even with the cats damaged inside I still passed smog and they never glowed like that again.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of people that claim they cause fires have never seen this happen. I'd love to see one that isn't glowing red hot cause a fire anymore than your cross over pipe would.

Oh and by the way if you plan on moving to PA you better make sure they don't have Safety inspection like they do here in NY. If they do you'll won't be driving your truck in it's current condition without spending a pretty penny to pass inspection.

• Like 1

To be honest here I never had a problem with my Magnaflow catalytic converter either because my engine runs properly and I think it's the less expensive ceramic core too. However I would not run one if I didn't have to pass smog. Just another part to keep an eye on. The good part about running it though is it acts as a sound filter that removes high pitched raspy noises and doesn't make you smell so bad in traffic.

• Like 1

A cat won't start any fires if you're ride is running properly. The only way it will start a fire is if that thing is glowing red hot from running rich. If it's doing that it's going to be junk in no time anyway. I'm on my 2nd year with mine and have had no issues at all. I've had these on an old Malibu I owned that was running rich and sure enough they lasted about 2 days before the insides started to come apart. However once I got it running properly even with the cats damaged inside I still passed smog and they never glowed like that again.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of people that claim they cause fires have never seen this happen. I'd love to see one that isn't glowing red hot cause a fire anymore than your cross over pipe would.

Oh and by the way if you plan on moving to PA you better make sure they don't have Safety inspection like they do here in NY. If they do you'll won't be driving your truck in it's current condition without spending a pretty penny to pass inspection.

Have you done state inspections up there? I talked to a few people in PA about it, they really just look for frame damage due to rust, brakes in proper order, and visually safe in the rural counties , simular to Texas. I know for sure I will be replacing my windshield, cleaning up the leakage all over, rebuilding the front suspension, better tires, ect. I will install a magnaflow converter if I have to but I don't know if they will make me. If they say something I'll install a hallow converter I have.

One of my inspections here in Texas (rural area) I pulled in turned on my headlights and hazards, gave my insurance card. The guy didn't get off the stool in front of the computer, he then told me I had a turn signal burnt out and gave me a bulb and screw driver after walking over and putting on my new sticker.

I used to do state inspections all the time at my last job, my favorite ones are the 1997-1999 over 8500lb gross weight vehicles. Our systems won't let you run a dynometer test or a 2 speed idle test when you enter 1997 or newer as the year, and if your over 8500lbs federal government did not require obd2 until 2000 or 2001, so your supposed to use an adapter from obd1 to obd2 plug and if your check engine light for obd1 isn't on you pass, obd1 has no idea if your converter is there or working lol. Other things that are funny is the wipers cannot have a tear more than 1/2'', but your wipers don't have to function to pass. Windshields that are cracked pass, but its illegal to drive in Texas with one and you can be ticketed, Just as crazy as Colorado, if you don't have snow chains you can be ticketed, even if its summer.

Edited by MadMax2

I don't know what PA looks for but NY looks for:

Windshield. Brakes (including your e-brake). All lights have to work and be DOT approved (No cracks or chips in any lenses). The visually check for the cat, o2 sensor, pvc valve, they visually check your intake boot and your vacuum lines. They check your belts and hoses. They check for any suspension, steering issues, and drive line issues. Check your fuel and brake lines for any old brittle hoses. They check to make sure your wipers are good and work. They check your horn and seat belts. They check your tires and lug nuts.

Any issues with any of these things and you fail. Sure you might find every shop is different on what they my be picky about. None the less if they pass you and they shouldn't they will loose their license to do safety inspections and have to pay a 10 or 20 thousand dollar fine.

Again this is NY in a non smog testing city. PA will have different laws but given that they still have rust issues in that state I'd assume they check the suspension and steering really well.

Edited by The_Magicians_Eye

I myself wasn't ready for those safety inspections. We don't have them in AZ. It's up the to cops to ticket you if you're driving something unsafe or illegal. I had to replace both head lights and a corner light. Oh and they didn't like my LED turn signals so I had to go buy DOT approved turn signals. I also had to adjust my parking brake too before I could pass.

Yeah, those strut rod bushings look seriously sketchy!

I heard that one of the summer fires we had around here a few years ago was started by the PUD guys driving out on an overgrown service road to check the power lines. From what I head it was from dragging the catalytic through the grass. Of course I head this third-hand...

And out here you only have to get an inspection (lights etc) if you're re-titling a vehicle IIRC, otherwise it's just a matter of paying for a new set of tabs.

Yeah we require a visual of all of those thing's too... but nobody does it unless they are trying to make money. I've had friends go to inspection stations after doing work on them asking me why I didn't do my job, I would show up to the inspectors station with the car there ask them where the "Dry rotted" belts they would grab a dim light and shine it down... you couldn't even see the belts... I pulled out my c4 led stream light and asked them to look again, piratically brand new green stripe gates belts. He then apologized... what a scam artist. In Texas they can fail you if the inspector feels the vehicle is unsafe even if it is not on the checklist, its their back up clause but most inspectors don't remember/or know it. You can get DOT led turn signals from most major truck stops btw.

My 93 has a passenger front corner lamp that needs to be replaced, windshield, front brakes, corner lens, possibly drivers seat belt. front suspension rebuilt, tires. Maybe a converter if they are picky. My Pathfinder was in Colorado for a few years then migrated to Texas, so its just about rust free as they get on the underside.

While newer catalytic converters are more efficient than ever, especially Magnaflow, they are not fail proof. Running rich will kill them really fast and you cannot avoid running rich because you will run rich every time the engine has to warm up so the converter takes a huge blow every time. If you wheel on trails where there is grass and such you can risk setting everything on fire with a hot catalytic converter especially when it starts to get plugged. The only real drawback of not running a catalytic converter is the smell from the exhaust but you shouldn't be sniffing that anyway.

If you must run a catalytic converter, as a rule of thumb the metallic core converters are superior to ceramic core converters in both durability and efficiency but running either is fine.

In short, catalytic converters have some really good benefits and some really nasty drawbacks. If you can avoid using one, do so.

And then there is the experienced and educated opinion which may differ.

B

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

Maybe only in California...

I am speaking from actual experience with catalytic converters and inspections. FYI B, the inlet/outlet size does not affect emissions so you can upgrade yours to a bigger one as long as it's CARB compliant.

• 5 months later...

Draggin up an old post, I may be inheriting my in-law's Pathy, was curious what you guys were doing exhaust-wise, looks like pretty much the same reccomendations as the z-car crowd - single for the street.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is the aforementioned x-pipe. This is yet another V8 thing that does not apply to V6's. It comes down to exhaust pulses, the sixes have the luxury of pulses every other bank, whereas the V8's have a stacked pulse - "180 degree" V8 headers are the ultimate fix for this. Long story short, IMO an x-pipe on a true dual V6 has a greater potential of hurting performance rather than helping.

Posting videos and having Tears for Fears in the background takes away 200 man points.

Just saying. LOL

My 93 has after market flowmaster duals on it...as a matter of fact, they are coming off on Wed and going to a stock set up. I am the second owner (well 3rd really) and I am not a fan of duals for my use. I need it to be quiet as this is my daily and racnch truck...so when I am trying to move around in the woods, I need it to be more quiet.

• 4 weeks later...