Replacing the Transfer Case

Iceman2989

I've posted my problem on here before, but I'll be tackling the project soon now and so I come seeking more advice. My tcase chain is in a million pieces inside my tcase from overuse with little to no oil. I learned that although they're attatched, the tcase and tranny dont share oil... learned it the hard way. Stupid. Anyway, because I don't know the exact extent of damage to the gears and other stuff inside my transfer case, I've decided to just go ahead and replace the whole thing. (plus the chain is 300 bucks, but a whole transfer case at the local JY is only 150)

SO, to tackle this (I've never dealt with something like this before), Does anybody have advice for what to have on hand? I'm not sure what all I'll need as in like grease or silicone or anti-seize stuff for the bolts or anything...

All my grease monkey friends are out of town for summer vacation but when they get back for this next semester in a few weeks is when I'd like to get this rolling, and I want to have most everything ready to go by then.

Thanks in advance for your help!

A tube of silicone to seal the transfer case back to the transmission, enough gear oil for the transfer case and the trans if it's a 5 speed and a big ass jack because that thing is heavy!

James

Disconnecting the electrical plugs always give me problems, although I don't have any solutions for this. A friend is helpful to keep it balanced on the big ass jack to get it to the ground, you can also use a ratchet strap. Don't know about crossmembers and whatnot on your R-50 though.

you can pull the tx10 off the tranny while its on the vehicle. Pull off your t-bar cross member but leave your tranny supported the the tranny cross member.

I actually pulled the tail housing off my new and old t-case when removing and installing to make it less awkward. I did not have a transmission jack and the thing weights 110 lbs.

once bolted and sealed to the tranny I put the tail housing back on.

I had also rebuilt my spare tx10 before I put it on and replaced all the seals... Input, rear output, front output, shift shaft etc...

• 1 month later...

Okay! The time has come! I purchased the new-to-me transfer case the other day, and this week I'll be starting on taking the old one out and replacing it. My1path, how long did it take you to do that work you did? I just wanna unbolt, replace, and rebolt. Any idea how long it should take?

If you are unsure of any electrical connections and there are multiple plugs that are the same size same number of pins just label them with a pc of tape or take a perm marker and put 1 dot on each half of one plug, 2 dots on each half of the next and so on. Usually ( but not always) the plugs are different shapes, sizes and number of pins so mixing them up won't happen, USUALLY.

When I had the trans rebuilt in my 87 hardbody the first time and I picked it up from the tranny shop it wasn't down shifting right, turns out they had 2 plugs mixed up, I swapped them and than it was fine.

I don't think there are many plugs on the transfer case though

Edited by ahardb0dy

good advice for marking the plugs. I noticed that there were three, thats a good way to not mix em up. By taking out the transfer case, I shouldnt need to drain the trans right? They're not internally connected, so it should just be an unbolt, rebolt, fill with fluid, good to to type of project right?

I'm pretty sure you do need to drain the transmission. They aren't internally connected, however the separation between the two is at the matting surface to the transfer case. If you don't drain the transmission fluid you'll have a pretty messy job on your hands.

As far as time goes, just to unbolt, remove and replace, I would say you can do it in a day. Remove rear drive shaft, front drive shaft, drain t-case and tranny oil, unbolt the shift lever, mark and remove your three electrical plugs, unbolt and drop to the floor. Reverse procedure putting the other case in.

Beware of the alignment dowels that will stay with either the t-case or the transmission (pretty sure the t-case has them as well). I did a transmission swap a couple years ago where some of the alignment dowels stayed with the bell housing and some with the engine. These were the opposite dowels that were in the used transmission I was putting in. It made fitment interesting to say the least. Just check before throwing it in place.

Also I don't know if the R-50s have different size tires depending on model, but if your used t-case came out of a model with different size tires from factory, you may want to swap your speedometer sensor over before you put it in.

Edited by pathybuilder

When I swapped crawler gears into my transfer case, I didn't need to drain the tranny fluid. The output of the tranny is a splined shaft that fits onto the front input of the t-case. Both the tranny and t-case are sealed.

1005or_08_+guide_to_common_transfer_cases+nissan_tx10a_transfer_case.jpg

On the other hand, I did have to remove nearly all of the front interior (seats, center console, lower dash parts) to remove the plate over the top of the shifter, in order to access the top 4 bolts.

Edited by XPLORx4

I was going to say I thought the trans and transfer case were both sealed as both use different fluid, but not being 100% sure I didn't. at least with your pic you can see they are sealed.

There must be a difference between R50 and WD21 then, or Auto vs Manual, cause here's a photo of the my transmission / t-case mating surface, definitely not sealed on the 5 speed. They are sealed from each other, and do use different fluids, but the seal is at the mating surface, so you need to drain the oil. I did the crawler gear swap as well. I could reach the mounting bolts, but 2" Body Lift helps.

IMGP0001-1.jpg

Edited by pathybuilder

xplorx4, you had to take out the whole interior to get to the top bolts?? Was there no way else to get to them? If there is, I would love to know.. Hoping to get started on this tomorrow. And Im guessing that the wd21s and the r50s are pretty different from the responses I'm getting... Its a different tcase isnt it? the r50 has the tx10, I know that much, but Ive never dealt with the wd21s at all. please keep chiming in guys, I really appreciate all your $0.02!!

I think the t-cases are the same (TX10), but the transmissions must be different. The WD21 tranny photo above looks nothing like what I remember mine looking like. And I distinctly remember not having to drain fluid or apply sealant or a gasket between the tranny and t-case.

As for getting to those top bolts, maybe there's a way, but I must not have had the right combination of tools, knowledge, or experience to figure it out, so it seemed to me that the only way was to gut the interior. It sure was weird looking down at the ground through the middle of the floor when the t-case was out.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll definitely be trying to get it out without removing everything, that just seems like a pain...haha. Do you by chance have a diagram of all of the bolts that need to come out? I wonder how many there are.

• 2 weeks later...

Started this project Saturday, got both drivelines out and 6 of the 14 bolts! Its just a start, but I dont get days off work very often so itll be up on jackstands for a while... The more we look at it the more we're thinking that we'll have to gut the inside too. There isnt exacly a removal diagram in the repair manual, so its guess and check. Did you have to remove that crossmember (not sure if thats the right word to use) that is supporting the transmission in order to get the transfer case out?

• 2 weeks later...

the napa guy said to use rvt silicone.... was he wrong?

Your question could not have been asked at a better time, i just went under my pathy to find out the same thing. And from the looks of it, Napa was correct.

8125821207_653e700b52_c.jpg

However, finding out what type of RTV to use is a whole different story, if my t-case ever bothers me enough ill redo it. but i would ring your local dealer, see if their parts department has an equivalent or ring the OP of the GENUINE NISSAN PARTS thread, he's a Nissan part counter rep (i know his name,i just know im going to butcher it if i try to spell it)

Hope that helps.

-Kyle