Replacing the Transfer Case

Iceman2989

You use RTV silicone sealant between the front and back halves of the transfer case (to keep the fluid inside the case), but there is no fluid seal between the transmission and the transfer case, so you don't need any sealant there.

If you're uncertain, go pick up a tube of RTV silicone anyway. It's only a few bucks.

Edited by XPLORx4

Okay, I need some help now.... We've got all the bolts out, but now its starting to leak fluid! I understood that the both the transmission and the transfer case were both internally sealed, and that when disconnected there should be nothing between them.. Its got 14 years of force from those bolts still holding it up, and I'm calling it a night (spent 6 hrs out there today). I tried using some leverage to pry the tcase off the tranny, but its not budging. Double, even triple checked all the bolts so I know that they're all out, but its still hanging up there... But the biggest question/concern is WHY IS IT LEAKING??!?

Do you have a manual or auto tranny? What color is the fluid and what does it smell like? It looks like perhaps the t-case mating surface may be sealed on a manual transmission, but not on the auto transmission. I've been basing my statements on the assumption you had an auto tranny.

Edited by XPLORx4

Ive got a manual transmission, and its a golden-ish color..... I had to run off to work this morning, so I cant go check right this second, so I'll double check when I'm off. If it was transmission fluid, wouldnt it be red-ish? It sure has dumped a ton of fluid all over my parking lot, so I sprinkled stuff all over that and put the oil drip pan underneath before heading off to work.

Well, sorry to steer you in the wrong direction, then. My bad. I thought you had an auto tranny.

It looks like there is a fluid seal between the MT and the t-case. You should drain the tranny (if it hasn't self-drained by the time you get home tonight.)

MT fluid (75W90 GL-4) is golden in color. AT fluid is red.

yup! the transmission is officially drained, and I finally got the transfer case all the way off! Feels great to have that much done at least. Next step is doing it all in reverse! and no worries xplorx4, now I know!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update: I actually DID get this project finished, and its working great again! Took a week's worth of evenings after work to finish it, and my trusty wingman's help in exchange for pizza. So nice to be able to drive again!