Grill mounting clips

dirtx

I'm sorry for such a dumb question, but how do you reuse the plastic clips that hold the front grill on? I installed a trans cooler today, and broke most of them. Old brittle plastic i guess. It looks like you have to put them on the grill first, then twist into raidiator support. Am I wrong? Just cant figgure it out!! I need to get new ones. For now i installed a keeper with some sheetmetal screws. It rattles now. Thanks for any help Oh its a 1994 SE.

Those things are annoying. I have like two left while the rest are zip ties. You can't really put zip ties into the corners because of how the sheet metal is welded.

I use with my aftermarket grille the plastic license plate clips (but smaller) and regular screws. The stock grille clips I usually put the square part into the grille first and than turn them by hand until they lock in, than push them into the rectangle holes in the radiator support.

THANKS, GOOD INFO. i DONT FEEL SO BAD NOW, i'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. mAYBE i'LL CUTSOME SMALL RUBER SQUARES AND INSTALL BETWEEN THE GRILL AND BODYAND (TO KEEP IT FROM RATTLEING) AND KEEP THE SCREWS. AND i'LL ZIP TIE THE END ONES. tHANKS AGAIN.

Yep. Frustrating little jerks. I have 3 that I robbed from a junk yard pathy, but if I have to remove my grille again, I doubt I will be able to utilize them a second time... brittle little fellahs.

I like the idea aHardbody had regarding the license plate parts. I may try that...

that whats I first thought of. But i only had two and they were too big. I think if i can find smaller ones that shoud be the hot ticket.

Square inserts with bolts and washers actually sounds like an awesome idea.

Lol you people are funny. ive had the grills off all three of my trucks. many many times. never broke a one of them clips! rofl. i just use pliers to twist them back into the grill and then snapp it onto the front of the pathy. :D many times. ive had the one on my truck now off three or 4 times.

Climate affects how they age. If you live in an area with extreme changes in climate, those plastic things become severely brittle and snap right in half when you twist.

If I still lived in WA I would be right there with ya man... Here it goes from insanely hot and humid to cold and dry...constantly. Same reason that the mounting clips for the rear side louvers turned to dust...

I just dealt with these yesterday. I used needle nose pliars. Grabbed them by the "pointy end" with the pliars and forced them into the grille. Then I gently twisted them with the pliars until they clicked back into place. Got all 4 back in intact! :jig:

I've never had a problem just putting the square end into the grille and turning the other end by hand, than pushing the grille with clip installed into the rad support. It's always good to pick up extras as I said if you are at a junkyard.