bad starter

ahardb0dy

So the new/reman starter I bought and installed in my PF in February sometimes doesn't engage the flywheel, most of the time the truck will start fine but sometimes it just spins, so I just called the store where I bought it to ask them about returning it. I told the guy what it is doing and said if you put it on the test machine it will probably work fine but it doesn't start the engine every time. He told me they probably wouldn't be able to replace it if it tests OK. I asked for the manager and he said he would be back in 20 minutes so I'll call back to speak to him. This sucks.

Called main office and was transferred over to dept that handles store issues, lady I spoke too said she would forward my question to regional office and they would contact me. Manager from local store called me and I told him what was going on, he said he would exchange the starter for me no problem. I asked about possibly getting a a different starter and he said he could get me a brand new starter from Bosch and I could pay the difference which would be aprox $100. Have to wait for my wife to get home to see what she says, she handles all our finances, LOL

I told the manager this starter is a pain to remove and re-install and I wasn't going to remove it, bring it in and have them test it just for them to say it is ok, even though I know it is not, glad I got some where with this.

You need a different parts store, I can take mine out and say send me a new one (well now that I actually have a new one in my truck compared to my usual supply of saved ones from junk/past trucks) :lol:

I bought it from Advance Auto Parts. And of course I can't find the receipt but the nice thing is they store it on their computer under your phone number, so I called the store and asked them to look it up and they have it.

Anyone have any experience with Bosch starters?

I bought it from Advance Auto Parts. And of course I can't find the receipt but the nice thing is they store it on their computer under your phone number, so I called the store and asked them to look it up and they have it.

Anyone have any experience with Bosch starters?

After 3 different remans on my first Hardbody, I put in a Bosch. My dad owns the truck now, and the starter hasnt been replaced in 15 years.

After 3 different remans on my first Hardbody, I put in a Bosch. My dad owns the truck now, and the starter hasnt been replaced in 15 years.

sounds like what I went thru in my 87 hardbody way back, first starter was local reman, lasted 3 days !! second one was local reman, lasted 1 week !! third one was beck- arnley reman and was in the truck years later when I traded it in !!

I told the manager it's nice paying less and having a lifetime warranty but I don't want to have to replace the starter every 6 months !!

well with the harbody body sitting higher on the frame than the pathfinder plus the 3" body lift i had, it wasn't as bad replacing the starter compared to on the pathfinder, you get real good and fast replacing it after 3 times !!

• 2 weeks later...

New Bosch is the way to go for starters. The only other alternative to that is a reman from the dealership. I put a reman Nissan one in mine a while back and it still works great but that was before I found out about the Bosch starters. That location is horrible to get to unless you either remove the motor mount or the exhaust manifold.

I don't understand the starter placement complaints :shrug: I pulled the one out of ToolShed, with the tire on the ground/flat and just had to remove the oil filter... just need some patience and coffee.

Bosch is usually decent quality stuff, you should be happy :aok:

so today did some running around and at my last stop, PF decided it wasn't going to start, had to flag down someone going into the store where I was to crank the key while I tapped on the starter and if finally started, than the gear ( I guess) got stuck and I could hear it half way home ( a couple minutes), than the gear must have retracted and it was ok. Got home shut truck off and it started right up. Going to call the manager at Advance tomorrow to see if he can order the Bosch starter plus me paying the difference with out me bringing in my old one, at least if he says ok I can drive the truck until the new starter comes in.

I've never had to remove the motor mount or exhaust manifold to get the starter out but it is definitely one of the jobs I do not look forward to doing. With a body lift it would be a lot easier. Last time I did the drop the idler arm and removed the starter from the front but that wasn't that easy either, kept on getting hung up on the tranny lines !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

I don't understand the starter placement complaints :shrug: I pulled the one out of ToolShed, with the tire on the ground/flat and just had to remove the oil filter... just need some patience and coffee.

Bosch is usually decent quality stuff, you should be happy :aok:

I'll have to agree with Nunya. I pulled the starter from my 87 5 speed in maybe 5 minutes when I was dropping the transmission. Today I pulled the starter from my parts truck, a 94 auto. It took longer to get the oil filter off and the bolts loosened than pulling the starter out the front. I had to jack it up and pull the tire though because it was sitting on 3 flats. Putting it back would be hard without taking at least the tire off though.

James

Those bolts are not much fun to get to. I think there are two of them. If you are going to remove the oil filter you might as well change the oil at that time too. :lol:

Maybe you could wiggle it out with the oil filter out of the way. Good to know! :aok:

I did mine at the same time with the headers so it was easy. From what I have heard people have had to pull the motor mount. Maybe they have big hands? :shrug:

my starter came up with the gear first up, and slide right between the frame and the manifold. without the oil filter. just changed it and the oil. 5k+

miles on the oil anyway...

I just can't win with this starter problem !!!

Just spoke to the manager at the Advance auto parts store and asked if he can order the Bosch starter with me paying the difference and than if I could bring my starter in when the new one comes in, he never answered my question but told me we have a problem, ( must know my last name because things like this always happen to me !!), anyway he says the company he would get the starter from does not have any ! So I ask if it would be possible to just get a refund, he said because he can't get me what I want he will refund the money. So I told him it will be a few days because I need to have a new starter before I can pull the bad one.

So off to rockauto.com I go, they have the Bosch starter for $122, I place it in my cart and get a popup saying the part was removed because they don't have them either !!

I do a search online and Amazon is showing they have it and cheaper too at $101, place it in my cart to see shipping, free shipping 5-8 delivery time, Estimated delivery: July 27, 2012 - Aug. 9, 2012 !!

So any other ideas besides OEM which I can't afford? Are OEM starters new or reman? I see on one of the online Nissan dealer parts sites they charge a core, I thought if a part was new there is no core charge??

any idea how the Bosch reman starters are? I won't put a local rebuilt unit back in any of my vehicles again, went through this same problem with my hardbody really getting tired of it

Edited by ahardb0dy

After searching for the new Bosch starter only place I could find with reasonable price and quick availability was E-bay, spoke to Bosch customer service to see if the store was authorized dealer and they have no record of this company so not taking the chance. Think I'm going to go with a Beck-arnley reman starter. The one I had in my 87 hardbody lasted long time and was still going strong when I traded the truck in. Rockauto has it for $152.33 including the core charge and shipping, and I'll get $50 back for the core (soon as I find one) plus another $95 or so from Advance when I return the crap one I have now. Will update after I get it and install it.

Hopefully won't have to mess with the starter again for a long time !!

still undecided on which way I want to go, if I do the above I would need to get another starter to use as a core, so new question:

Anyone have any experience with New Napa starters? If I go new which I wanted to do with the Bosch I won't need the core,

Thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

update, found a company in Conn. that has access to 2 of these new Bosch starters so I just ordered one, good deal I think they had a 10% off code for the fourth of July Holiday so got it for $104 delivered brand new. Hope this will be the last I have to deal with the starter !!!

Good luck man, my 95 was eating starters like crazy last winter and I currently have a Bosch and have had good luck so far.

The bolts are easy enough to get to (14mm?) a couple of extensions and then slide it forward and spin up/down/side to side, tilt, turn and if you have A/Twiggle past the lines (fun).

Someone posted a while back that they took theirs out from the top after removing oil filter, but I just go through the front.

Have at it!

I agree with nunya. I have had no issues getting to and removing my starter...

I've never had to remove the motor mount or exhaust manifold to get the starter out but it is definitely one of the jobs I do not look forward to doing. With a body lift it would be a lot easier. Last time I did the drop the idler arm and removed the starter from the front but that wasn't that easy either, kept on getting hung up on the tranny lines !!

This is probably why I have no issues with mine....

Those bolts are not much fun to get to. I think there are two of them. If you are going to remove the oil filter you might as well change the oil at that time too. :lol:

Maybe you could wiggle it out with the oil filter out of the way. Good to know! :aok:

I did mine at the same time with the headers so it was easy. From what I have heard people have had to pull the motor mount. Maybe they have big hands? :shrug:

I have big hands too!!

At AZ we sell primarily remanufactured starters, but occasionally we stock brand new units, Duralast Gold branded starters. Some of the remans have bosch markins and stickers, but who knows how well they hold up. On days I work I see a pretty steady flow of reman parts coming back in for swap outs.

I don't think removing the 2 bolts is a problem at all, I use a 24" extension with a swivel on the socket end and get right on them. The first time I removed the starter I some how got it out from the top. One time I grabbed the inner fender and pulled it out about a 1/2" to try to get a little more clearance. I know in my old hardbody the trick was to unbolt it, spin it around so the gear end was facing front and than it came right out thru the fender, but as I said that was with a 3" body lift.