Auto shift leaver Locking

nztim

weird issue that I can't seem to resolve that you guys may have had a similar experience. Sometimes the shift lever will lock and need the release button pushed so I can change it out of park. Its a small thing that isn't a huge problem but would be good if some one out there had a resolution...

My Pathy won't go out of park unless the key is 'on,' the brake is pressed, and the button on the shifter is pushed in. I've seen other cars with a 'shift lock' button next to the gear selector, but not on my Pathfinder... does the Terrano have one of those?

Anyway, I can hear a little click from around the shifter when I press the brake, as whatever's holding the stick in place lets go. I'm not sure just what that part is, but it sounds like that's what's going funny on yours.

I think 1991 was the year they did something extra funky with the auto shifter. I saw one in the junkyard and thought what the frick is that?? My girlfriend had one as well, and she had to show the guy at discount tire how to get it out of park. I think that's how it's supposed to operate.

I saw some auto shifters while walking through the jy. The gears on the selector seemed really small and close together. The amount the shifter moved seemed decresed as well. It looked really odd, like silverton was saying. I think they may have been 1991's.

some PF's have a cable that goes from the ignition to the shifter, I remember one time at the junkyard I put my key in the ignition of a PF and almost couldn't get it back out ! Started to get nervous,than realized putting the shifter into park allowed me to turn the ignition key back and I got my key out.

some PF's have a cable that goes from the ignition to the shifter, I remember one time at the junkyard I put my key in the ignition of a PF and almost couldn't get it back out ! Started to get nervous,than realized putting the shifter into park allowed me to turn the ignition key back and I got my key out.

95's are definitely like this.

I have an issue, maybe twice a year, if that, where you can't push the button in. My "shift lock" has been broken since I had to have my selector repalced. It ussually will work after a few minutes of fiddling with it, but it is annoying when it does happen.