Maybe Sell, what would you do?

I have a 2002 in good condition with 48,400 miles on her. I have taken meticulous care of her but am at a crossroads. Do I sell her now when I still can get a good resale value or do I keep her forever?

I have had the suspension redone MD front and HD read KYB all around, recall fixed front drivers side was minimal, swirl valves done, new plugs, all fluids changed 500 miles ago, and I mean all, and the tires have about 3000 miles on them. All new sound system, CB, etc.

The problem is I really don't know what to get, Im thinking 4 runner 2010 maybe 2009. Other than that I just think it makes sense to get something a little newer before things start to go wrong.

Any input would be helpful, especially models to look at. Thanks

I think you mean power valves, not swirl valves.

48.4k miles on a 2002 Pathy is crazy and yours sounds like it's in pristine condition. Why not keep it? There isn't much that can go wrong especially if you keep up with maintenance as you have been.

My 2001 has 148,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong. I've replaced all the fluids religiously, still on the original clutch (5-spd manual), and only have replaced a couple of VTC sensors, an O2 sensor, and the release bearing. The engine doesn't even burn oil.

The engine will outlast the car, and if the body rusts through, I'll drop the engine into a new vehicle and keep it going! I'll probably end up keeping this car forever.

I firmly believe in driving vehicles until the wheels come off. It's the only way to justify the purchase price.

The exception is if you can't tolerate any breakdowns, either because you have a job requiring driving, children, or an inconsiderate wife. Then, trade up while it's worth something.

• Like 1

, or an inconsiderate wife.

Isn't that who you give the jalopy to? :lol:

Sounds like you maintain your truck (kudos to you :aok: ) and thts low miles around here, (not that mileage means anything to me personally other than a way to keep track of repairs). I personally buy stuff that's dead, give it new life, then kill it a couple more times before finally letting it rust in pieces. I don't however understand the perception of value of cars, yes it's 12 years old, who cares? Do you like the truck? Do you know what your getting into and how well a used vechile you'll be looking into has been previously loved/maintained/etc?

My outlook also revolves around the ability to keep stuff around longer too though so my .02 may be moot point to some people

• Like 1

My dad always goes on about the resale value (usually, "you'll put more into it than it's worth"). I figure, unless I'm going to sell it, who cares what someone else would give me for it?

And I'd rather have a vehicle I'm familiar with (under the hood and behind the wheel), that I can work on, that doesn't have a warranty to worry about voiding... and that I actually own. Plus, no car payments! (Except replacing parts... :lol: )

And I'd rather have a vehicle I'm familiar with (under the hood and behind the wheel), that I can work on, that doesn't have a warranty to worry about voiding... and that I actually own. Plus, no car payments! (Except replacing parts... :lol: )

Bingo!

The truck should run for another 20 years unless it rots out.

Although, I do believe it would be another five years at least before you start getting problems from old age (genrally battory cables, window motors, etc.)

I can understand your point in thinking a newer truck would have less problems due to its age.

My mind is telling me to keep the truck until the end, but my heart still wants something newer. I'm the only driver so no issues with a breakdown.

The one area that I think would be an improvement with a newer truck would be safety. The airbag systems and crash technology has come a long way since 2002.

The only truck I have really been thinking about is a 4runner, or the new models of the Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. I Like the F150 but don't have a need for the pickup aspect.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

My mind is telling me to keep the truck until the end, but my heart still wants something newer.

If you're just ready for a different, late-model vehicle, then by all means trade it in now before you put more miles on it! You only drove it 4800 miles a year! That's outstanding!

I like the new 4Runners, but they are expensive! The JGC looks pretty good, too.

If you want a 4Runner, get one from the previous generation. The post 2010 ones are really not much different and the older ones gave you more features like auto-start.