Humming fuel pump, sign of trouble?

WokeUpDead

I noticed a quiet, constant hum coming from the back of my 1995 Pathfinder, it can only be the fuel pump. It's so quiet that I hear it only when idling at rest, but it's defiinitely there.

Is this a sign of impending fuel pump failure, or could it be something as simple as it being a little bit loose? Can I check if the fuel pump is on/in the tank nice and tight without taking the tank down?

I don't notice any change in performance, but I had this car for only a few weeks, so maybe it has been like this since I owned it. It's also possible that it makes that humming noise only when the tank is almost empty as it is now, I'll fill up tomorrow and write an update.

You should never run a tank dry. The fuel pump uses the fuel to lubricate its moving parts so if you run it dry your run the risk of burning it out and having to replace the pump. I think there is a maintenance hatch in the cargo area of wd21 pathfinders.

If your fuel filter looks ancient or you don't know when it's been last changed, change it! A partially restricted or clogged filter can put more strain on the fuel pump. Though I don't think this has anything to do with the humming, it's a good idea regardless.

X2

And +1 on the fuel filter as well!!

X3 X2

I can hear my 88 for about 30 seconds which if I remember is the right length of time, with no power from the alt the relay shuts off

The fuel pump in my truck sounded like a tire with a leak, allllll the time, it's definitely normal especially if you're running low on fuel. The tank in a WD21 is a HUGE cavern, so the noise of the pump reverberates on the tank and makes it seem louder than it really is.

The fuel pump in my truck sounded like a tire with a leak, allllll the time, it's definitely normal especially if you're running low on fuel. The tank in a WD21 is a HUGE cavern, so the noise of the pump reverberates on the tank and makes it seem louder than it really is.

I think that's it, don't notice it with a fuller tank. Thanks guys.

Mine hums. Not super loud, I've never noticed it when the engine's going, but when I turn the key to 'on' without starting the thing I hear a brief hum from the back as it pressurizes the lines.

I would have to agree with the lines are "pressurizing", I've removed about everything from the inside of my truck that is

not bolted down . So when you turn the key over to the "on position" I can hear my lines pressurizing"; before I crank it over .

this may not apply to you cause I dropped the main fuel tank and added a 1/4 fuel tank for weight reasons.