Loss of power after road trip...

NissanNismoZ

so I'm not sure what's going oon here and looking to maybe get a few ideas..

so we went on a trip that included long interstates and a detour through a steep mountain pass. I had to follow my cousin in her sports car..and try to keep up so I wouldn't get lost.. well..I floored Pathy quite a few times to keep speed up the mountains..meaning around 5k rpm for an.extended period of time. keep in mind it kept cool the entire time, never going over halfway on the temp. but after all that I'm starting to notice.it has a lot less power, sounds a lot deeper and louder, but yet..everything looks sound..

my idea is it may be a blown exhaust gasket?

I mean it is louder and deeper than.before..but would that cause a power loss? or maybe the elevation change messed it up?

its due for an oil change..being its been 3100 since the last, which is farther than it usually goes.

any ideas?? Thanks!

Give the exhaust gaskets a check... one easy way I've heard to do this is to duct tape a shop vac or something to the exhaust pipe. Then you crawl underneath to see where it's whistling (or use an incense stick or a cigar or something to see where the air's going), and find the busted gasket/rust hole/whatever.

Mine was loads quieter after its new exhaust, and did seem to pick up a little power. Probably couldn't hurt to unhook the ground strap, let the computer reset, but I doubt that's it... seems like it'd only be confused while you were in the mountains.

So you don't floor it on a day to day basis? I run the hell out of mine often keeps it loose. Lol!

If the exhaust just started leaking the higher noise level could make you think you are pushing it harder than you used to and it doesn't seem to accelerate at the same rate that it did when it was quiet. I experienced this when I put a aftermarket intake on my titan. I drove it easier because it sounded like I was running it a lot harder than before with the increased noise under normal driving.

Just a theory though from my experiences.

James

You know, i didnt think of that. The noise could make me think it has less power..Also..i've noticed the past few days how the pedal now has a...'sweet' spot? Usually noticable when cold.. Like if i barely push it itll really go, push a little harder..it acts like i let off..then push a little harder itll act like i just jumped on it. TPS possibly?

Could a TPS cause my power loss?

Thank you. :)

I just want to get this straightened out before i go and spend money on a bunch of parts...

air and fuel filter i have also had to clean my maf element also had the air tube from the maf sensor to the intake crack and yes a leaky exhaust will loose power especially noticeable from the cat to the engine

That's where it is. It's the gasket i just replaced last year! :/

It must have blown out under all the stress of the mountain climbing.

It's the gasket that usually burns a hole through the floor under the drivers foot...

Thank you.