Turn signal lights that don't Leak *UPDATED* PICS*

msavides

Well After the factory ones were cracked and leaking water. into them. I bought some cheap clear turn signals off ebay. First puddle I hit fills them with water.

I know they have a vent port on them and they will always fill up. However I plugged that vent and the lenses don't seal worth a crap. The molded plastic is not even straight..

Is there an option for better quality lenses that seal. Perhaps even a completely sealed LED option.

I found these but I am not sure if they will fit. I wrote to them asking for dimensions.

http://www.parts4eur...roducts_id=1078

Edited by msavides

yea that is for a pair. Mine had mud in them so the crappy seal was not even filtering the water.

I read that all ARB bumpers use the same turn signal cutouts. IS it just coincidence that pathfinder turn signals are the same and that is why Arb does not include them with pathfinder bumpers.

I will wait until I get a reply back on the size before I order them .

This is a problem with most Nissan turn signals, my S12 and the M30 use the same size turn signals. Why make new tooling when they work, right? I'd love too have a screw in LED option for my S12! Keep us posted, please!

Or one could grab some of the oval LED amber turn signals that come with the rubber grommet and then either pop rivet, weld or zip screw a piece of plate steel over the exisiting housing holes (after removing the housing), then mount the new LED oval's in the newly mounted plate...

I picked up a couple pair of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130692697883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6886wt_1396

I figured I could stack 2 of them to fill the space. It will be a little gap on each end as they only measure about 6.5 inches. Still a little cheaper than the ones above. I will have to work out how to mount them though.

BTW These are going in my arb bumper so when I mount them it will be a different setup than the stock bumper. I will update with pics and how I end up doing it.

Ok i did the install

First of all let me clarify. I purchased one pair from this seller

http://www.ebay.com/...ht_10203wt_1163

then I found what looked like the same item from this seller

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_6886wt_1396

Let me tell you this the ones that I paid $15 more for are much better quality. The lenses are sealed the wire is better quality and the lights are a nice bright color. The screws that mount do not go all the way into the case so it stays water tight.

The cheaper ones. The lenses just snap off are not sealed, the wire is cheap and flimsy, The light is not as bright and slightly yellow, and they put loose nuts on the inside so when you remove the bracket the nuts fall off inside the case with no way to put the screws back in.

I spent the better part of the day making brackets for for the lights to mount inside the arb bumper. I used 1/2 square tube stock to make a frame around the outside of the lights to fill in the gaps from the side and the bottom of the lights. I then put a thin piece of metal between the 2 lights so that they both had something to rest into. I then used a piece of metal to bolt the 2 lights behind the metal strip the lights rested on. this secured the lights in the frame.I then put nut rivets in the arb brackets and use angle brackets to come around the back side of the arb brackets. I then bolted them into the arb light brackets from the back so no screw holes are seen from the front. Not modifications were made to the arb bumper (besides installing the nut rivets).

I sealed up the cheap ones since I had to take them apart to get the 2 nuts that were rattling around in the case and threatening to short out the lights. I also sealed up the holes where the screws went through with RTV Grey. I sealed up the grommet where the wire was coming out of as it was a loose fit and also not water tight. I then glued the lens on so it would not leak.

I will post up pics when I get home tonight as I forgot to take pics as I was building it. I will aslo try and get pics of the back inside the arb bumper so you can see how it is mounted. They do stick out of the bumper quite a bit and that is my only concern.

Pics

xhnv_f2f_u5vaf.jpg

xhnv_707_u5vaf.jpg

xhnv_085_u5vaf.jpg

Video Link of the turn signal and DRL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIQuXR61vo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by msavides

Wow, looks amazing man!

One question though...

In the video it appears that the turn signal portion is WHITE where as just the parking light is amber? Or was it just the fact that the camera couldn't pick up the hue due to the extreme brightness produced by the LED's?

The DRL is white. when the turn signal is on it blinks from white to amber. The white light was washing out the amber and the camera was too slow to detect the change in color accurately.

here is a better Video of the operation of the turn signal, hazards, and DRL

The camera cannot pick up the color difference between the upper and lower light. But the lower light is dimmer and more yellow than the upper light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bprip2N_y5M&feature=youtu.be

There are 3 wires on the lights.

Black = ground

Yellow = Turn signal

Red = Ignition power

The Black and yellow can be connected to the turn signal connector. I believe Green and Black. Black is ground Green is turn signal. The red you will have to find a source that has Power when the ignition is on. If you want to you can connect them to the driving lights (corners) if you want to be able to turn them off while driving. (first click on the headlight switch)

Very easy.