How much weight will factory tire carrier hold

Heloflyboy

All right this one is a little off the wall. I just put 35" tires on my pathfinder. I am a little concerned with the weight of the tire on the tire carrier . I do not want to bend the sheet metal on the body by installing to much weight. Does anyone have experience with this problem? I do not want to be the first to find out. :headwall:

Thanks.

Most people on 33s have a full-size on theirs and alot of people tend to add extra accessories as well(iirc I've heard of some members putting their bodyweight on one without incident) From someone who has added a carrier to a non truck using factory braces, they are pretty stout as well.

I sit on my tire carrier all the time when it's open and even back when I weighed 185LBS it didn't flinch. Hell I've jumped up and down on it, when it was open, as hard as I could before. They're stout.

Edited by Kingman

I have been running 31X10.5 on mine for years, and back in the day I had a rack for bikes on the carrier. The rack combined with the 2 bikes weighed probably 50lbs in addition to the weight of the tire and the only problem I ever had was with the latch letting the carrier swing open in rush hour after returning from a long weekend.

Those carriers are well put together.

I run a 33x10.5 and a 60" Hi-Lift on my stock tire carrier and wheel the hell out of my truck. I also use it as a ladder to get onto the roof and I'm about 200 pounds. I would not run off road with a heavy tire while the carrier is open. I also don't climb on it while it's open. When it's closed the little skid block bracket holds up a good percentage of the weight so there's less stress on the quarter panel mounting. Since you wheel your truck I suggest bending the lead edge of the bracket that lands on the plastic skid block up slightly so when the truck is flexed out and the body shell has a bit of tweak the bracket doesn't slam into the plastic straight-on and break it when you close the carrier. Another option would be to weld a short piece of 1/2" round stock across the lead edge of that support deal so it raises the carrier up more smoothly when things aren't quite lined up. I've broken a couple of the plastic skid blocks but haven't gotten around to modifying my carrier so it doesn't happen again. :suicide:

• Like 1

Thanks Mr 510. That is about what I am looking for. Just was not sure if it would hold the weight of 35"tire when wheeling hard. I feel better now I will go out and weld a piece of 1/2 round on there for more support.

Thanks

Another option would be to weld a short piece of 1/2" round stock across the lead edge of that support deal so it raises the carrier up more smoothly when things aren't quite lined up. I've broken a couple of the plastic skid blocks but haven't gotten around to modifying my carrier so it doesn't happen again. :suicide:

I've been meaning to do this to one of my spare brackets since you mentioned it to me like a year ago, should probably look for one of them to do it...

I've been meaning to do this to one of my spare brackets since you mentioned it to me like a year ago, should probably look for one of them to do it...

You actually need to weld the piece to the support that sticks down on the carrier, the plastic rub block is on the bracket that mounts to the body. As soon as I can get my Pathy into my driveway where the welder reaches I'll modify mine and post up some pics.

:scratchhead: I am assuming you mean Steeevo Steve, which I don't know about anyone else but I would never take away from what he's made and acomplished or where he's shown his truck has gone.

Yea all your fault...not readying the sarcasm through the text....what the hell man?

Nah wouldn't ever take anything away from Steve...he's a cool guy...disappointed I won't have the chance to wheel and have a beer with him at Moab this year

• 6 months later...

A lot of people have that size mounted so no, you shouldn't have any issue. 1" spacing is not much so it shouldn't matter either. I have a 31" tire on a steel rim mounted and plan to add a 20 liter can and hi-lift jack as well.

B

I sit on my tire carrier all the time when it's open and even back when I weighed 185LBS it didn't flinch. Hell I've jumped up and down on it, when it was open, as hard as I could before. They're stout.

X2 here

A lot of people have that size mounted so no, you shouldn't have any issue. 1" spacing is not much so it shouldn't matter either. I have a 31" tire on a steel rim mounted and plan to add a 20 liter can and hi-lift jack as well.

B

I have a 20 liter can to add also, and its holder is very heavy. Maybe this weekend I will mount, it will be very helpful, I plan to do a 23 day trip to Patagonia in about a month, and there are roads where we will run 200 or more miles with no gas station - and even if we find one, it doesn't mean there will be gas.