Rust Paint that lasts...

WOT

For my whole life Ive pretty much just painted rusty metal parts with tremclad or rustoleum type spray rust paints. The kind of spray paint that takes forever to dry. And it kinda work, but rusts does eventually come through or the paint just goes away I dont know.

Im looking for a REAL rust paint.

I have a half sheet of thick metal chicken wire Im trying to turn into a very thin roof rack to tie camping gear to for the summer, the sheet is rusted entirely, sat outside almost 6 weeks and its rust is pretty bad and built up, but it is THICK chicken wire so there is plenty of good metal under there.

I want to paint straight over this rust, maybe I would beat the sheet with a wire wheel but all the rust definetely isnt going to be gone.

Roll it on, spray it on whatever. I just want to be able to use the rack for the year and not get any clothes/bags/tents/girls or anything I put it on get rusty.

Im probably going to end up having to order the stuff online. But I want the best bang for the buck stuff that is going to WORK

I am open to anything so I wont even mention the products Ive looked into so far

Wow. Rust is a serious downer.

I haven't really experimented with those "rust-proofers" too much, but I didn't think it was such a big deal.

When you say the rust comes back, how long does it take? You think it will not work even for the year?

I just thought of something. Can't you somehow spray it with some sort of plastic coating? PVC in a can or something? I don't even know if that exists, but if you coat it in plastic then you would be fine.

I had surface rust on my rocker panels, used Herculiner DIY bedliner.. Not exactly a "rust paint", but it definitely did the trick.. I can't see any moisture getting though that kind of stuff.. Maybe a spray type bedliner would work too?

My link

Edited by erathge

ive used rustoleum its never rusted back and works great AS A PRIMER that the key you need to coat it in another sealing paint, that my opinion and experience. follow the instructions "to the key" and you should have a great product end result. the biggest key is to "knock down" the "loose rust" IE:wire wheel the whole thing and then hit it with rustoelum and then hit it with a sealing enamel or some sort like that ive used it on floor boards, hoods and the whole body of my 620 datsun and the rust hasnt reared it ugly head yet. :aok:

This isnt surface rust guys, ths is deep embedded rust

I have researchged por15, it does seems like a great option that would work, just probably the most expensive

Was hoping there were similar products

This isnt surface rust guys, ths is deep embedded rust

I have researchged por15, it does seems like a great option that would work, just probably the most expensive

Was hoping there were similar products

Yeah, it's not cheap by any means. You would likely want to use all the prep products too. Marine Clean and Metal Ready. The Metal Ready basically turn the rust into Zinc Phosphate and gives a good surface for the POR-15 to bond too. You would also need a top coat as POR-15 itself is sensitive to UV light. With this your costs are likely even more than you thought they would be.

I think that if you could sandblast it, then hit it with Rustoelum and an Enamel top coat as 620 Datsun said, it would likely be fine and last.

I use rust converter, it's not cheap and it's toxic as hell, but it's supposed to kill the actual rust. Then you wash it off and spray over it. So long as the loose stuff is off, it should work... there's a fair amount of the stuff on my '59 Triumph project car. So long as the prep work is good, the paint should stick.

Colar palace rust reformer is okay. I used it and a lot of others on my trucks. I used to use the 3m stuff but it would disapeer over winter and leave the same old surface rust. On my one rusty truck I currently run colar palace with a top coat of the 3m stuff and it has not rusted since.

Rustoleuim hammered while not a rust convertor is a very good rust cover, my frame horns on my one ford are covered with the stuff and it has not cracked, failed or started to rust blister.

Ha, Por-15 the choice of half-ass body shops every where. FYI 3m brush on rust reformer is better then this.

I'm gonna disagree. I used some por-15 on a Datsun 510 wagon I had and the stuff worked quite well.

I've used POR-15 with awesome results compared to any other rust paint.

Pretty stupid body shops to be using a paint that is $150/gallon here...

I just tried some Rust Check rust converter on my rims(changed from silver to black paint). I guess I'll know how it works after a summer of muddin'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna disagree. I used some por-15 on a Datsun 510 wagon I had and the stuff worked quite well.

Yep, bed liner would have been better.

I've used POR-15 with awesome results compared to any other rust paint.

Pretty stupid body shops to be using a paint that is $150/gallon here...

150 bucks is cheap compaired too welding new metal on a frame. It is ok at hiding rust, thats all. And it scratchs very, very easy compaired too even the cheapest bed liner.

(tangent) I heard POR-15 was created by accident when sombody was trying to make cork board adheasive and it turned out to be a better paint/rust preventer than adheasive. Neat! (/tangent)