Looking for new wheels, recommendations?

iPath

Try painting them with plasti-dip.

20$ and you can see if you will like the color combo or not.

-That's what I will be doing.

Ive been thinking about doing that, but with these wheels:

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY62370U.jpg

Anyone have a picture of these ones either plasti-dipped or painted black?

Those wheels are the same as on my 04. Mine are in horrible condition due to the salt and calcium on the roads here.

I'm going to paint mine with Duplicolor graphite. theres a couple good youtubes on it.

Those wheels are the same as on my 04. Mine are in horrible condition due to the salt and calcium on the roads here.

I'm going to paint mine with Duplicolor graphite. theres a couple good youtubes on it.

Post pictures if you do! I haven't been able to find a picture of these wheels painted, I was thinking the same thing.

I just finished Plasti Dipping my 5 spoke rims (same as linked to above). Plasti Dip flat black was ~6$ a can at Home Depot.

They came out really nice IMO. I started yesterday, finished today.

Very easy to do, I didn't mask anything, but these are my summer wheels and are currently off the truck.I cleaned & dried my wheels. Then used tire shine on the rubber. I did use a cut off glove finger to "mask" the valve. I ended up using almost 2 cans for 4 wheels.

I took some pictures, and will post them up probably tommorow after I do my winter/ summer wheel change over.

Pictures are finaly here.

I know other folks here have done this as well, but here is mine.

Pre and Post "dipped" (wierd upside down pic...):

plastidipvsnonplastidip.jpg

My un-"dipped" wheels next to my winter wheels:

oemrimspredipped.jpg

All "dipped" (wierd upside down pic...):

plastidiprims.jpg

Pasenger side:

dippedpsideon.jpg

Drivers side rear "dipped" front still had winter wheel:

dippedrearwinterfront.jpg

Summary:

So far so good! I really like how they turned out!

It's allmost like a new truck to me. Very easy to do, and pretty cheap. I bought 5 cans thinking I would need 4 and got an extra in case one of the sprayers was bad. I ended up only using 1 ~3/4 cans. So this project costs less than 12$. NICE! Kind of time consuming only that you need to wait between aplications. I'm admittedley impatient, so time will tell how well the dip has set (or not).

I will likely dip the sliders as there is just a fine rust beginning. I likely will not be dipping any of the trim, but may change my mind...

Edited by Camelfilter

• 3 months later...

over at les schwab they have a some sweet wheels the ones I bought from them last year are there Allied 51 Daytona and they were only like 70 a piece and they look way good with my car. yeah they are pinstripped with blue and red but with the color of the vehicle you dont even notice the blue pin

Photo060.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good looking rides posted so far. How would a pathfinder look with wheels like these? Otherwise I liked the black rims a RWD QX4 had on this site.. lifted and with a roofrack but other than that I can't remember whose it was.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/Racer001/New%20FJ/Mods/Exterior/2012-06-12_13-00-03_916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alloys are always better than steelies unless they are really poorly made alloys.

I digress. I picked the "steelies" because 1) they were cheap and, 2) they can be repaired if they get abused on the trails. There are places around me that repair bent rims. You can not repair busted Alloys.

There's actually a guy local to me who can repair busted alloys, but trick dependent (and my mood) I like some steel action. And the are generally more affordable to boot

THinking about doing this with mine. How has it held up over the few months?

The plasti dip is holding up very well. To me they look like I just did them, no chips or peels. I've used a pressure washer car wash twice with the Plasti dipped rims as well.

I now have dipped my passenger side rear fender flare, and the exposed side of my drivers windshield wiper arm. I keep forgetting to do the passenger side wiper arm (it's maybe a 15 minutes job).

I digress. I picked the "steelies" because 1) they were cheap and, 2) they can be repaired if they get abused on the trails. There are places around me that repair bent rims. You can not repair busted Alloys.

You can at least buy a few sets for cheap. Never would I repair a damaged rim. The bead will not ever seal properly again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking something black would look best with the dark maroon color.

http://i.imgur.com/q55Wx.jpg

suggestions?

Does anyone have a pic of the 03/04 rims in black? I've been debating painting mine (until I get the rims I want w/ better backspacing) and am wondering if its worth the time and effort. I'd love to see a finished product....