need opinions on SUV for friend

ahardb0dy

My Step daughter's boy friend is in the market for a used SUV, he just sold his 93 Jeep Wrangler and has about $4800 to spend.

His 5 choices he is considering are:

Nissan Xterra

Nissan Pathfinder

Toyota 4runner

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Liberty

I think he would prefer a 4x4, he generally doesn't do heavy 4 wheeling but does go fishing in out of the way spots quite often. We are in central Florida so anything related to cold or ice isn't a concern. Also was asking about fuel economy, knowing of course that none of these are going to be really great on gas, and like I just read in a used classified "if you want good gas mileage buy a sedan" LOL

I read reviews from owners on the xterra and pretty much all of them had nothing but good things to say, same with the 4 runner.

I know 4runners generally cost more than the Nissan's, and as for the Jeeps bad reviews both models, (I'm not a Jeep fan, obviously I like my Nissan's so I am biased)

I was reading reviews limited to the 2002 models but a couple years older he would consider also.

So I'm asking for your opinions on the 5 vehicle choices I have listed,

THANKS ALL.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I haven't owned any of those, but from what I have read I would recommend the exact order that you listed.

Any reason the R50 isn't on there?

Also, if he doesn't really need 4x4, I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting one. It costs more, more maintenance and often lower gas mileage. A 2x4 with a LSD (or even locker) will suffice for the vast majority of people.

B

I guess I should have listed the Pathfinder, I'll change it so I can get opinions on it as well, since this is a pathfinder forum, !!

As I said, my opinion, I don't care for the newer pf's but he might, so I'll include it as a choice.

As a co owner/driver of a VG33 R50, I will say that it is more refined and will still get most people where they want to go, especially with a few easy mods.

If I do another Pathfinder build, it will probably be a VQ powered R50.

Sorry, not insisting it be on the list either, but if a JGC makes it, a R50 should be allowed also... :D

B

With todays gas prices, I'd look for a used Geo Metro for rain driving, and a Honda Ruckus for summer, let other people drive for camping.

Going by that list, I'd go Xterra or 4Runner depending on the year of the 4Runner. I'm not sure when the head gasket issues stopped on those things. Not to say a Jeep isnt a bad choice, I just prefer foreign vehicles.

My Step daughter's boy friend is in the market for a used SUV, he just sold his 93 Jeep Wrangler and has about $4800 to spend.

His 5 choices he is considering are:

Nissan Xterra

Nissan Pathfinder

Toyota 4runner

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Liberty

THANKS ALL.

My work here is done...

out of those, i'd take the caR50. If he wants to really get sodomized with gas prices but wants something unstoppable except for rust, get an FJ60

and the head gasket problem on le 4runner stopped with the introduction of the 96 model.

We could probably discuss this for days! But I'm an import guy, so I would probably choose Nissan or Toyota.. But with 4800 you can probably get more bang for your buck with a Nissan. :my2cents:

Sorry, I added the R50 to the list, even though it doesn't have a frame, ( just kidding, had to throw that dig in there!! LOL)

though I would usually jump in on the caR50 bashing, you can't make that shot when the comparing list has 2 unibody Jeeps in it :lol:

That being said, I would remove Liberty from the list period, I've hated every one of those I've ever driven. I'm assuming somethign a bit newer than a wd21 is the prospective purchase so Pathfinder would = r50, this and Xterra would both pro/con against each other to what suits personal needs better. 4runners ain't too bad but you gotta watch for frame rot on some of them (again assuming were talking about something a little newer than a 3.slow headgasket eating 95). As much as were supposed to hate JGCs, I've driven a couple I've not minded but have driven some complete piles of scrap as well... about an even balance, try to look for one with selectable 4wd, not a 'awd all the time' one in your road tests.

To ad a few to your list,

Explorers: rot watch here as well, 03-04 hae horribad transmission issues (and no dipstick to even check the fluid to boot)

Trailblazer/Envoys: Have some electrical gremlins that can drive you nuts but for a generic-moblie ain't honestly too bad. The Denali/SS ones are fun pavement beaters too

1gen Durangos: just don't

s-series based SUVs: List is a mile long on regular replacement items on maintained easy life trucks, let alone ones that get used.

I'll ad more thought's/ to my list as I feel the urge to/think about stuff/remember things/eat a nicely cooked kangaroo leg

I agree. An R50 would probably be more than plenty for what he needs.

IDK why, but in my area, R50s are almost cheaper than WD21s. You can get an absolutely perfect R50 with ~140k miles for $2500.

Down there, the strut housing rust problem doesn't really exist. For a daily driver, it would be great. Maybe get a 4x2 version with a stick?

The thing with Toyota vs. Nissan is negligible. IF the Toyota competing model is better, it's only marginally. The Toyota Tacoma MIGHT be better than the Frontier, and the 4runner MIGHT be better than the Pathfinder, but they will BOTH get you to 200k miles no problem. They are BOTH extremely reliable. But the difference is a $2500 R50 or a $4500 4runner.

We've all seen things about the R50 on the forums. Strut rot problems, not really having a frame, etc. Not really that big of a deal for a daily driver in Florida. We haven't heard much about the Xterra on these forums, but it's pretty damn close to the WD21, so you can't go wrong there. Based on my craigslist search, it might be a little hard to find an Xterra for under $4800. They only started making them in 2000, so they are newer and more expensive.

The Jeep Liberty..eh. IDK. I have nothing against Jeeps but it seems heavy and cumbersome. It's only been made since 2001 to it might be a bit expensive. IDK about Jeep Grand Cherokees, but the plain Cherokees are pretty good sometimes. I wouldn't mind having one.

Jeep is always a bad choice. It's like choosing the hooker you know is diseased.

Like this guys mom

>:D

OP- looks like the majority vote is caR50. You know what you must do :ph33r:

Of those choices, either Nissan or Toyota. Does he want something that size specific? Would he try anything smaller. I would suggest a Suzuki Grand Vitara/XL-7. I know several friends with them that have a decent amount of mileage on them and they have extremely reliable, and for the most part, easy to work on(I did work on them for a while also). Plus it may give him a few more MPGs than the others listed.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I think my friend is going to buy this xterra, he took me and his dad to see it last night and it looks really good, lot's of money was spent on this truck, plus last night after searching for about an hour I found the original owner who has write up's posted on some of the stuff he did, some with schematics too,

this is the xterra:

33o1x1f.jpg

259xs08.jpg

25h1h1i.jpg

fz6jr9.jpg

333wg8i.jpg

rbk2fs.jpg

25kkjdw.jpg

1zd8b3r.jpg

1494746.jpg

sy341i.jpg

Wow, that's actually really nice.

I was looking at the picture. Every single picture made my eyebrows go up more. "..wow" "..wow!" "wow" "whoa" "wow!!!" "is that stock?!"

Those 3 little switches next to the shifter, are those from Nissan or some aftermarket thing? Those are cool.

oops NVM. they said "air locker". I don't think Nissan did that.

Edited by 1994SEV6

The truck has a suspension lift, no idea what brand, from what I saw in the 20 minutes I looked it over (at night with a flash light in the rain !! ), it has tubular UCA's and rear shackles, no idea if it has any add-a-leafs in the spring pack. Bilstein shocks with what looks like air valves sticking out of the side of them, SS brake lines, SS lines going to the ARB air lockers front and rear, has a BIG compressor under the hood has to be about 5-6 in diameter, 3/4 horse I think. 2 air tanks behind the front bumper which is a Calmini, and the side steps are also air tanks, rear tire carrier is Calmini which is actually the whole center section of the bumper. Dual batteries installed in the rear with an isolator. The truck used to have a winch but not on it now. tires are worn Super Swamper TSL-SX's 32/11.50's wheels have very little offset on the outside possibly 7's or 8's. Oh and mile marker hubs.

Here is a link to the original owners site that I found showing some of the work that was done, click on the "mods" button:

http://personal.mco.bellsouth.net/w/a/warmongr/

Still don't know what my buddy is doing, thought he was going to snap this one right up but so far he hasn't and truck is still for sale

Edited by ahardb0dy