GAS MILAGE!

TShep704

im having a very tough time deciding whether or not to get rid of my pathy and look into getting a new car or jeep... i love my pathfinder but HATE the gas milage. i get less that 15... anyone got any solutions to up the gas milage a little bit?

im having a very tough time deciding whether or not to get rid of my pathy and look into getting a new car or jeep... i love my pathfinder but HATE the gas milage. i get less that 15... anyone got any solutions to up the gas milage a little bit?

i hear manually locking hubs will pick up 2-3mpg

• Like 1

^^I've heard the same thing. The R50's front CVs are locked to the front wheels, meaning that even in 2x, you're still spinning the front CVs and diff. Manual hubs allow you to disengage everything. I don't know R50s, but my WD feels like a totally different truck with the hubs locked/unlocked. Apparently this causes trouble with the 'auto' mode on the transfer case, so don't try to use that if the hubs are set open.

Apart from that, just basic tune-up stuff. Make sure the sensors/wires/spark plugs are all good. You're never going to hypermile in a Pathy, but if it's tuned up right you should be able to get more than fifteen out of it.

My gas mileage sucks too!! In the last year / 10,000 miles I have installed: New plugs, cap, rotor and wires, new O2 sensor, changed oil (of course), changed trans fluid, fuel filter, air filter and installed in-cabin air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, installed warn hubs and have them unlocked 99% of the time. I have also had the fuel injectors professionally cleaned, new timing belt, water pump anti-freeze etc... For the record I'm runnin Yokahama Geolanders 31x10.50s at 35 psi. Did I forget anything?

I'm lucky if I get 15mpg! I got 13mpg from this last tank. $65.00! Mostly city driving. On the hi-way, say on road trips, I get about 18 or 19mpg.

That's pretty crappy!

Edited by ScottZ

Manual hubs on your 96 will make a difference. After installing mine I sit at about 16.5 with mostly suburban driving and 19.7ish at 70-80 highways.

A Jeep? Unless it is one of the new little car jeeps (compass, etc) you will more than likely will see the same MPGs.

:my2cents: :my2cents: (extra icon added to compensate for inflation)

wow guys you get some bad gas miles

first of all i would check out the timing

if it's not at 15 BTDC your miles will be really bad

my average is 20 mpg just so you have something to compare to

the 3.3 should be even better

if my front hubs are left locked then it's around 17-18 mpg

Edited by Tungsten

ha i havent seen 17mpg in a long time...

the worst ive got this winter has been 12mpg running 4x4 for at least 1/2 the time and the hubs locked for the whole time. Almost reached 200miles to the tank haha.

now since the weathers warmed up a bit and ive unlocked the hubs, ive been getting about 14-16mpg split 60/40 city/hwy.

my average is 20 mpg just so you have something to compare to

the 3.3 should be even better

The 3.3 isn't any better.

A big SUV with a truck-like drivetrain will never be good on gas. Buy another vehicle for DD needs if mileage is an issue.

I hate the millage too. Really bums me out with the current price of gas. The way I justify (rationalize) it to myself is that whatever I'd save in gas by buying a new vehicle I'd probably end up putting back into the vehicle in maintenance that I know my Pathy won't need.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't...

At least that's what I tell myself.

Thats why I like having my girlfriends cavalier around. She pays the repair bills, I fill the tank when traveling and reap the good mileage :)

My VQ spends more time crawling than it does on any open roads. I probably barely get into top gear on my commute to work

I drive the Honda Accord (29 MPG) for gas mileage around town during the week and then the R50 during the weekends for fun. Yeah these SUV's suck gas but so do the Jeeps. I hear it from these guys that own Jeeps all the time. They get the same gas mileage, around 15-18 around town.

I'm wondering how I get ~17mpg with 100% city driving with my 2001.5. I don't drive like a grandma, either.

Townciilian, Isn't your Pathy 2WD? If so, that would explain it. Even with manual hubs unlocked, 4WD Pathys are always lugging around all that extra weight of the transfer case, front diff, and that lever thingy in the cab etc...

Townciilian, Isn't your Pathy 2WD? If so, that would explain it. Even with manual hubs unlocked, 4WD Pathys are always lugging around all that extra weight of the transfer case, front diff, and that lever thingy in the cab etc...

Yeah, I have a 2WD. I suppose that explains it, I don't know how I didn't think of that :deadhorse:

I have 4WD with the Warn Hubs. Recently serviced the trans. (I was pleasantly surprised of the drain plug, btw...)

I average 16mpg. Freeways - 70-80mph + city, of course. I also have the heavy front bumper. My BFGs are 30x9.5x15.

Tuneup is in the near future....just hit 216k. :itsallgood:

I filled ~2/3 of my tank yesterday & did a quick math check.

I got 12.9 MPG for the gas I used. Mostly city driving, maybe 20 miles highway. Pretty cruddy MPG, but reasonable IMO as I am running studded snow tires.

I might do a better overtime average if I have the time to do so.

I log allmost all of my fillups (date, trip distance, total distance, ppg, total price, station, notes). Handy habit to record the data especially as I write most maintenence in the same log.

Edited by Camelfilter

my car jumps all over the place, sometimes I get 275 to a tank, sometimes 175. Usually in the 225-240 range

My cats are oem and probably near shot, should probably remove/gut/replace those. Stupid laws