Engineer gets sucked through a jet engine

Kingman

Understandable, delete if you want - no hard feelings here. It's been floating around a few other forums without deletion. :shrug:

No staff commented so I assume there is no issue. I'm not being a hard arse (I think you get the point) and it's not all up to me. :shrug:

While gory, It is amazing how well those Ti fan blades held up, as the mass human is waayy bigger then a bird impact.

This is sadly more common then one would think aswell.

Actually, I suspect the difference is the velocity.

Lets say a 7kg (15 lb) bird flying across a plane's path was sucked in @ 89 m/s (200 mph), it hits with 27,700 joules of energy.

An 80 kg mass (176 lbs) traveling at 22 m/s (50 mph) hits with 19,400 joules. The bird has 43% more energy...

There is another factor to the velocity; assuming the same engine RPM, the faster speed of the object the larger 'slice' each blade will have to take. Aprox 40 blades at 10,000RPM (arbitrary) means 6667 slices per second. Consider each mass is 1 meter long (simplification); the bird is fed in @ .011ths of a second requiring 73 slices while the other mass enters in .045ths requiring 300 slices.

This means a thickness of 13um (.0005") verses 3.3um (.00013") per slice, a much heavier load!

Over simplified, yes, but relatively accurate, yes.

Other than the skull, pelvis and maybe some joint/bone ends, everything else should be pushed through such a blender without any issue. The big pieces might have done some damage, but I suspect the majority of the damage to the blades and what was tossed out of the cowling was metallic. Keys, buttons, pocket knife, change, etc... Shear strength comes into play here; notice the fabric on the exit side? I doubt that was the cause... :shrug:

B

i ain't clickin it right now (intrigued, just not in a full paying atention way currently) But if it's somethign gruesome at least there was a fair warning and it's linked, not just embedded

The real scary thing is that these things happen more often than they should. This is not the first time and definitely not the last. Any one that's smart should learn from this that if you stand close to a jet engine, you will look like a hamburger on the other end.

The real scary thing is that these things happen more often than they should. This is not the first time and definitely not the last. Any one that's smart should learn from this that if you stand close to a jet engine, you will look like a hamburger on the other end.

While true usually, I remember a Navy crewman who got sucked into the intake of an A-6 Intruder and survived. Granted his helmet killed the turbine before he went through completely.