Radiator and condenser for r50

fleurys

Hi Guys... I will be soon changing my AC condenser and Radiator. The original ones are full of stuff I can't remove anymore and most of the behives are crushed. So I don't need to say that on hot summer days, when offroading, it takes not long before the truck starts to overheat... and doing 4 days of offroad running the heater full blast while having 30+ Celcius days was NOT funny ! :thumbsdown::lmao: At least it made my trail buddies laugh a couple of days !

So has anyone replaced theirs with either all aluminum (radiator) (if they exists) ? any brand to recommend ? I know nothing about radiator or condenser companies as this is the first time for me to change any of the two.

Like always , I'm looking to keep the truck so I want oem or better parts.

Thanks for the inputs.

Steve.

I haven't replaced the condenser before, but I have replaced the radiator. I wasn't able to find a replacement with aluminum tanks that was narrow enough to accommodate the fan shroud and clear the steering box, so I just got a like-OEM replacement from my local auto parts store. I think it cost around $90, but I don't remember the brand; it has worked just fine since I installed in in 2007.

I got the spectra premium radiator for my dads r50 from rock auto. It looked very well made and installed/functioned just like factory. They used to make all metal rad's for the wd21's (my new wd21 has one) but I haven't seen one in a while.

We found and installed the radiator listed below.

All aluminum, it did great through a nice hot AZ summer.

The radiator that arrived is made in China.

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part=1999+INFINITI+QX4++%2D+3%2E3+liter+V6+RADIATOR+All+Aluminum+Replacement&part_id=6323&aaia_id=1355778

I TIG weld AL reasonably often and the construction looks good.

Packaging was decent and the test fit was spot on.

01Package.jpg

02Packing.jpg

03LooksFine.jpg

04TestFit.jpg

05TestFitFan.jpg

The two locations at the top for the shroud are not tapped for the screws that hold the shroud on.

Not a big deal, go slow, use lube, just like tapping threads, it would bite to break one off in there.

06NotTapped.jpg

07TestFitShroud.jpg

IF only that all aluminum rad was good for the 3.5 aswell!!!

Dam I would love an all aluminum, my factory china replacement rad I got last year has already started to blow the top section of the tank off

Build quality looks tits on that aluminum

Edited by WOT

www.radiatorbarn.com

I've replaced a Jeep radiator and a Maxima radiator & condensor from these guys and have nothing but positive things to say: fast shipping, direct replacements, all metal, no problems.

too bad they don't have any that fit my pathfinder....! ( I just did my search on their site.. :-(

That is wierd steve, shows one that fits a 2000 r50. I thought the rad was the same regardless of motor.

does not seems to be the same because I did a search and compare for part numbers between a 99 and a 01 at spectra premium (the one you proposed) and they're not the same...

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/ProduitsVehicules/vehicule/1356791 (here for 99)

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/ProduitsVehicules/vehicule/1432945 (here for 01)

*edit** : funilly enough I compared the pictures of both and they are identical... but then again, I cant rely on pictures from a web site really :-(

Edited by fleurys

Interesting. Owning a 1999.5 model I always tell parts stores that I need "x" part for a '00 Pathfinder. I have yet to find one that didn't fit to my old '99 (including the radiator I just installed last weekend).

Interesting. Owning a 1999.5 model I always tell parts stores that I need "x" part for a '00 Pathfinder. I have yet to find one that didn't fit to my old '99 (including the radiator I just installed last weekend).

2001+ R50s use the VQ35DE engine, so there is no problem fitting 1996-2000 VG33 parts in your 1999.5.

• 3 years later...

I'm about to order a new AC condensor from autopartswarehouse. Any chance anyone has a DIY on how to replace this? My search has not turned up any results, but figured I'd ask.

Typically work on the ac system isn't really a diy kind of thing. When replacing the condenser you'll be opening up the system, and to do that safely and responsibly, the system needs to be evacuated first (this is done with an expensive machine that captures all the Freon). Afterwards, the system will need to be recharged, which can be done diy, but unless you have the proper knowledge and equipment, this is best left to a professional.

Ack, thanks. My system is drained as it has a leak and hasn't held refrigerant for longer than 24hrs....last summer when I recharged it.

But you are right, I will let the dealer deal with this as I have no tried 2 online sources to buy a condenser from now and both times they came back saying item out of stock.

Yes I might but it would be free. I'll check out the parts this weekend. No charge but can you telling about shipping?

KDJ