Installing Heated Seats

AdamM

First post for a new owner!

Hey everyone. Bought my first Pathfinder off a co-work in December, been doing odds and ends to get things fixed and have been using the site to help me along the way and thanks so much everyone for that.

Previous owner of my truck was a chain smoker, so the interior stank pretty bad. As an easy and relatively cheap solution, I managed to pick up a super clean leather interior with heated seats (including the switches for the seats) for $100. Seats are installed, and now I want to connect the heater components.

From what I have searched on the forum, the truck should be wired up to connect the seats, but I may be missing the heated seat timer? Anyone know where this is located? Can anyone confirm or deny that a 93 cloth interior truck is wired up to connect the seats? If it is, it wasn't obvious when I pulled the seats out, though I did not check the wiring harness to see if there was any connectors that I could unwrap from the truck.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. My seats are freezing cold right now in the mornings and would love to get them hooked up as the weather gets even colder as we have a mild weekend ahead.

Cheers,

Adam

I have a 94, but when I took out my seats to clean under them each seat had a plug that was out in the open. Didn't have to unwrap anything from the harness. The plug matched up with a junkyard heated seat, from eyeballing it anyway. In your fuse panel there is a spot (top left corner I THINK) for the fuse.

I have a 94, but when I took out my seats to clean under them each seat had a plug that was out in the open. Didn't have to unwrap anything from the harness. The plug matched up with a junkyard heated seat, from eyeballing it anyway. In your fuse panel there is a spot (top left corner I THINK) for the fuse.

Thanks for the response, I saw that fuse location, I'm guessing to access the connectors for the switch on the console that I will have to pull the console off?

Cheers

Adam

I think the seat heat controls are on the center console, so yeah, that'll have to come out. There should be two (or more, depending on what options yours came with) blanking plates on there. Mine's got everything but, and the front two spots are blanked. You can pop out the plates, pop in the factory switches, and iirc they'll plug right into the harness. They might be tucked in/under the carpet or other wiring, so dig around a little. The console's a bit of a pain to get out, but one or both seats are also out, it'll go a lot easier.

No idea on the timer, though, unless that's part of the switches. You could check the online Factory Service Manual wiring diagrams.

Full interior replacement's not a bad idea. Smells seem to like WD interiors. I spilled some pine-scented kerosene (long story) on the cargo area carpet once, tried to spot-treat, took it out, pressure washed it, vacuumed it dry... and a year later it still smells. Oh well, better than cigarette smoke, anyway. :)

• Like 1

One wiring harness fits all really does apply to these vehicles, but it doesn't apply for extra components.

For example, my truck has all the plugs for all the sensors and switches for Cruise control, but I would have to add a lot of junk to have cruise control. The wiring is all there though.

I suppose this isn't 100% true though. What about those certain model Pathfinders that have those tweeters in the window pillars from the factory?

Anyways, just have a look around for some plugs. There are usually a few. The seats have (or should) have heat, and a full range of movements. Look around, but don't go tearing your truck apart. If there is such a thing as the timer and what not, then I would think you would have to connect the seats, and then wire the seats to the timer and switches. This could all be one big wire, but it might have also been separated into two wire bundles or something. Just experiment on a Pathfinder in the junkyard.

A friend and I did the exact same thing on his truck. He put heated leather seats in. Chevy doesn't exactly follow the same ideology with wiring harnesses. If you need to re-position the seat, or give it a little bit of power, you should be able to plug in some of those 7.2v battery packs for R/C cars and things like that.

• Like 1

If you need to re-position the seat, or give it a little bit of power, you should be able to plug in some of those 7.2v battery packs for R/C cars and things like that.

... is there some option for power seats I've never heard of?

No. The 1995 FSM and my 1993 owner's manual that reeks of cigarettes do not mention anything about power seats.

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks everyone. I sure hope there isn't an extra timer for the seats...would be great if its built into the switches...I guess I'll find out this weekend. Supposed to be mild, I'm thinking I will take a look and see if I can find the plugs for the switches and the seats and see if I can get the heat.

As far as replacing the full interior to get rid of the smell, it was an instant fix, there still was a bit of smell in the headliner, but with an air freshener in the truck, you really couldn't tell it was a smokers vehicle and even now it smells pretty good

Thanks again everyone, will post back after I'm done.

Adam

No. The 1995 FSM and my 1993 owner's manual that reeks of cigarettes do not mention anything about power seats.

WUT? No power seats? That doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry for assuming, but I've never seen leather seats without the power function, much less HEATED leather seats.

I was just giving experience on my friends truck.

WUT? No power seats? That doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry for assuming, but I've never seen leather seats without the power function, much less HEATED leather seats.

My seats are manual leather...with heat soon I hope...

My seats are manual leather...with heat soon I hope...

wow. I would love to have leather seats.

Personally, I don't like the heated function. It's nice, but for me it' a nuisance. you turn it on. it's nice. ohh it's too hot. you turn it off. you turn it on...too hot. That's just my experience with heated seats.

Besides that, why would I want my ass to be warm? Your (idk about yours personally) butt is probably one of the warmest place. It has the most flesh and a lot of blood flow. Now..if they made a way to heat my hands and feet then fskc yeah

wow. I would love to have leather seats.

Personally, I don't like the heated function. It's nice, but for me it' a nuisance. you turn it on. it's nice. ohh it's too hot. you turn it off. you turn it on...too hot. That's just my experience with heated seats.

Besides that, why would I want my ass to be warm? Your (idk about yours personally) butt is probably one of the warmest place. It has the most flesh and a lot of blood flow. Now..if they made a way to heat my hands and feet then fskc yeah

Trust me, when its -20C (-4F) those seats are like sitting on a block of ice...heat is a requirement for leather in Toronto winters. :)

Adam

Trust me, when its -20C (-4F) those seats are like sitting on a block of ice...heat is a requirement for leather in Toronto winters. :)

Adam

yeah. thats probably true. I've only sat in leather seats three or four times. I wouldn't pay extra at the dealer for leather, but I would buy some on the cheap to replace my cloth seats anytime.

When I pulled my seat it had a cable to it but I didnt have a cable for the control under the center consol.

Dang....I really hope I have better luck tomorrow...

Adam

this is NOT an s10 forum, they don't compare at ALL and please remember this.

some of those cold mornings or long snowy wet winter nights I'm working I wouldn't mind sitting down into a pre-toasty seat myself but I would have to go full wiring style as I know for a fact my 88 has nothing there (and I hate leather seats), but there should be on yours since there was an option for it by then.

• Like 1

my 94 has leather heated seats but no power, and when its cold I'd rather climb into the 88 with non heated cloth seats

same here. cloth seats don't really change anything. If it's cold..so what? If it's hot, it makes a little bit of difference, but nothing like leather sticking to your skin.

Cloth heated seats are fantastic in the winter. You get in and your ass is already warm before the hot air starts blowing. Luckily, for those of us without the heated seats option, the VG engine will already produce heat much faster than 90% of the vehicles out there. So while they are nice and I would love to have them, it's not really that big of a deal for me.

Cloth heated seats are fantastic in the winter. You get in and your ass is already warm before the hot air starts blowing. Luckily, for those of us without the heated seats option, the VG engine will already produce heat much faster than 90% of the vehicles out there. So while they are nice and I would love to have them, it's not really that big of a deal for me.

Very true it seems out of all the vehicles i've owned my pathy will start blowing warm air before i get a few block away lol heck even my wifes 06 pathy takes much longer then my 92 lol.

Worst was her 04 neon it was just getting warm when i got to work so was useless most of the time lol and that only had 34k miles on it so doubtful anything was wrong with it to cause it to take so long.

the VG engine will already produce heat much faster than 90% of the vehicles out there.

so true!! The heat is amazing. I start it up, and within 3 minutes I'm on fire.

I think this is because Nissans have superior cooling. So they very effectively remove heat from the engine and channel it properly.

I just had my seats out yesterday. 93 xe that came with cloth seats. swapped in some leathers (non power) and i noticed the harness plug was right there to be plugged in on both sides. not sure about the one in the dash but there area few loose harnesses when iw as doing my stereo that i had to move out of the way, maybe it's one of them.

by the way, where is the location of the factory heated seat switch ?