Retrofitting Power Windows

William

So many upgrade projects. I know :rolleyes:

I am planning to upgrade my MANUAL windows into POWER ones.

Has anyone done it?

Is there a walk-through or guide on how to do it (with pics hopefully)?

Can the existing "DOOR ARMREST" be used to hold the power controls:

PowerWindowControls.jpg

William

anything is possible with enough time skill and money but the simple way will be to get door panels/armrests/etc from a doner that already has power windows. Wouldn't be a bad idea to find a doner anyway to get wiring harnesses and whatnot from to simplify the process. It will give you a good idea how the factory stuff is mounted too, nothing like a hands on visual aid :aok:

I personally wouldn't bother with power window swap. Manuals work rock solid and don't have issues with bad switches and dying motors. I wish my pathfinder had manual windows. That being said, its all factory parts, so find a junkyard car with the parts you need and buy the complete setup.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both power and manual. Ask yourself if you really need those power windows. If you go through ticket booths all the time then it's probably better to have power windows. If you are just doing it as a random upgrade then stay manual.

I personally wouldn't bother with power window swap. Manuals work rock solid and don't have issues with bad switches and dying motors. I wish my pathfinder had manual windows. That being said, its all factory parts, so find a junkyard car with the parts you need and buy the complete setup.

that is option #2, but wheres the fun in not aggravating yourself :lol: (and what its worth, couple of my crank window HB's I had, had the exact same problem at about 80% of the way up the window would tweak and the winder bind... but that was a window track issue, not the winding mech.)

Before going much further, pull the trim off of your doors, look inside, and ask yourself: how much time do I want to spend reaching around in there? I tried to fix a power window on my friend's Pontiac a while ago, and while the trim came off easily enough, the panel was so small inside that I could barely get my arm in there, much less see. I ended up drilling a hole through the window slider mechanism and putting a screw in it to keep the window up. Hopefully the Pathy doors are a little more spacious inside, and you're better at this than I am.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it might be easier to just pick up a set of p/w doors from a wrecking yard. If not, like Tungsten said, you should still pick up the trim from p/w doors, unless you have plans for the hole where the crank won't be anymore. I'd like to assume that the doors themselves are the same, with different bolt-in mechanisms, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That said, good luck, and post pics if you figure it out. :)

You can remove the entire power window regulator with motor in about 10 minutes it isn't that hard.

Lower the window until the 2 bolts that hold the glass to the plastic clips are accessible

remove the bolts

push the window back up manually and support it somehow, I used wooden wedges between the glass and the rubber trim

remove the bolts for the regulator, 2 upper 2 lower

remove the bolts for the electric motor

unplug the motor

remove regulator assembly

The window set up is very easy, and you shouldn't have to even run any wires, all the plugs and junk should already be in your doors. check first of course, but Nissan was very adament about "one wiring harness fits all"

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. I got these two front pathfinder doors that are perfect. They have power windows, power locks, and I think they have premium speakers.

Can you do this swap with power locks, too? I think that would be easier than windows, no?

Depends on if the solenoids and locks are a single unit. If not, it shouldn't be too difficult. Assuming the wires are there, you're good to go, except that it probably won't have the lock timer and the sensor for the keyfob. Those could be J/Y picked though.

I believe my doors were not pre-wired by NISSAN for the Power Windows. The rubber

sleeve seems only to run the Speaker cables back to the radio.

So in addition to the Power Window Regular + Motor what else do I need?

PowerWindowRegulatorwithMotor.jpg

William

Edited by William

I believe my doors were not pre-wired by NISSAN for the Power Windows. The rubber

sleeve seems only to run the Speaker cables back to the radio.

So in addition to the Power Window Regular + Motor what else do I need?

PowerWindowRegulatorwithMotor.jpg

William

You quoted your own post?? :scratchhead:

Personally, I'd buy some complete doors with the options you want, paint them to match and hang them on your Pathy. Voila, done...

B

But what about the interior fabric/finish on the door trim. It will be hard

to match Junkyard/Scrap door interior with the rest of the stuff in my car :wacko:

William

Bedliner everything like Kingman did... :D

B

:aok: my kinda solution! That or go full on contrast of colors! What color interior are you worried about matching? (I ask as my 88 has door panels of a 90-92 leather interior truck, the greys match perfectly. I would expect the blue or rapist-red to do the same :shrug: )