How to reinsert grille and replace front end bushings

1994SEV6

I took off my grille the other day for..I don't even know why. It was a little odd getting it out. I had to pull the top out, then like pull up on the bottom or something? Well, I can't get it back in. My grille is perfect (I think). Good chrome paint (not that I like chrome) and not cracked or chipped at all. I tried putting it back in, but I can't seem to get it. I don't want to break it trying to get it in since they are hard to come by in good condition. Are there any tricks? Like put the top in, then click the bottom in? Do the left side and then the right side? something like that?

Also..I've had both my front wheels off while doing my transmission these past few days. I've been looking and a lot of my bushings are absolutely demolished. As best as it goes, they are cracking. Most of them are absolutely smashed and are bursting out. I even have metal on metal in some places. I'll get some pictures in here later. I just wanted to know where I should get bushings from (rockauto or is there a better place?), what kind? Polyurethane or something else? How hard/how long would this kind of thing take?

Grill: take out the side marker lights. there's 'pins' on the bottom of the grill that line up with 'tabs' on the rad support, a little lower than the bumper, line them up by putting the bottom of the grill in first sliding the 'pins' into the 'tabs' with the top of the grill still away from the truck a little (at an angle like this = |/ ) once in place push the top in flush and zip tie where the broken clips once were (or if you amazingly still have the clips, they will 'snap' into the holes on the rad support). re-install side marker lights. I'll look through my photobucket stuff to see if I got any pics I can make helpful

I like my energy suspension bushing pieces. I personally put my order in through Steeevo here and his Rugged Rocks site and had a good experience, as most people will say here as well when dealing with him. There was one guy who had his order fall through the cracks though sadly and probably has some distaste over it.

IMG_20111111_163908.jpg

pink arrows are round about where the wd21 grills have the pins, green and pink on a d21/HB

ahh thanks. Yeah, those clips you were talking about are long gone. That always bugged me. It sat a teeny tiny bit to the left, so there was a small gap between the grille and the right blinker, that's why I took it out. I probably should have just left it LOL. Anyway, thanks. I'll be sure to do that tomorrow

yes, i can also recomend energy suspensions. i have their tension rod and front sway bar bushings. real nice stuff, i recomend you get some of their grease also. poly bushings tend to squeek i guess, and the grease they have is really good. no squeeking yet from mine anyways...

and they seem like really great people, they really try and make sure your happy, and will give you any info you need. which is nice, because some companies dont seem to give a sh** at all. i wonder if some companies even care to sell anything...

What I usually do with the grille clips when re-installing the grille is to line up the square part of the clip in the square hole in the grille mount, than using your fingers turn the clip until it locks in place, once you have them all in just push the grille with the clips into the rectangle holes in the metal. Easy this way.

If you are doing the tension rods more often than not people also need the sleaves, there is one on each side. they are often either rusted to bits or you have to destroy them to get them off.

They are cheap at your local dealer.

might need the 4 washers for the control rods two for the same reason.

both are hard to see any damage until you remove them.

Edited by Alkorahil

What I usually do with the grille clips when re-installing the grille is to line up the square part of the clip in the square hole in the grille mount, than using your fingers turn the clip until it locks in place, once you have them all in just push the grille with the clips into the rectangle holes in the metal. Easy this way.

that's the way to do it :)

tension rod? I'm not sure what one of those is. I tried googling it and I got mixed results. It seems that every part of my front suspension would be adequately called a tension rod :huh:

I think it might be that thing that runs to the front part of the steering knuckle? It looks kind of like a socket wrench and goes down into the..whatever that's called. I always that was a tie rod? Google pictures and throwing the term "sleeve" around definitely makes me think tie rod. Am I wrong?

Thanks everybody! I got my grille in eventually LOL. Boy, that took a few times. I think it's even more off-center than before I started. I'll definitely be getting some bushings sooner rather than later. Mine are horrible. Imagine if you had a donut. Then you took your palm and smashed it down on one side. That side would flatten, and it would split the donut. That's how some of my bushings are. Looks like this might run me a good bit of money.