HID Projectors! ----INSTALLED /w PICS

edicer2

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but "I think it looks stupid" is something that doesnt need to be posted. If you dont agree with what the OP did, state what you dont like/agree with, and move on.

ok let me elaborate why i think it looks bad even though it works good

1. the head lights stick out past the grill (that was already covered)

2. the reflectors inside are now useless, might look better blacked out

3. the housings are cheap clear plastic and are prone to yellowing

4. that bug shield on the hood just makes it even more ugly

:suicide:

• Like 2

ok let me elaborate why i think it looks bad even though it works good

1. the head lights stick out past the grill (that was already covered)

2. the reflectors inside are now useless, might look better blacked out

3. the housings are cheap clear plastic and are prone to yellowing

4. that bug shield on the hood just makes it even more ugly

:suicide:

1. yup covered not much i could of done

2. I agree i thought about it but i wanted to make sure they worked first before i wrecked them might do that later down the road so thanks for the good idea (btw even new cars with projectors have a chrome reflector in them)

3. i have had these for 3 years and no color yet its about keeping them clean! :-)

4. yeah the bug guard doesnt match now that i painted everything but it worked to good to be removed...helps alot with snow and water it goes up and over the windshield ( yes i tested and had it off for a week it actually did make a huge difference and im not just saying that)

Edited by edicer2

I think the improvement in light output far outways the somewhat strange appearance of the headlights sticking out a little. If you had never owned a WD21 you probably wouldn't even notice it. I say good job :clap:

Is there anyway you could space the grille out slightly to make the headlights not look like they are sticking out so far? I may look into doing that to give the lights in my grille some more clearance

If you wanted to make this flush, it probably wouldn't be that horrible to chop up the back of the housings. Figure out how much of it needs to come back, and how big it needs to be, then cut out that size circle around the plug end, glue the pipe to the housing, cut to size, and install the plug on the end. Like frenching a tail light, but in reverse. :)

Or... I haven't had my front end apart in a while, but, couldn't you just tighten the adjustment screws a little more? There's the one spot that's a ball swivel, but if you pushed that mount back a bit... might be easier than hacking the housing.

so this projection assembly goes inside the housing and sticks out the rear slightly so a nut can be screwed on right? I wonder if a sealed beam conversion type headlight has more room than the PF style headlight does??

If you guys are really worried about the looks you can swap to a hardbody grill and try to get a pair of these to fit somehow. I know people use these on z31 and i am pretty sure its the same as the hardbody one.

http://www.norcalmr2.com/store/

I really like it. Its nice and clean, most importantly it works as it should. Been thinking of doing this on the R50

yeah it should work in the r50 headlight if you can find some with a clear front dont use the ones that like crystal or w/e they call it with the light defection pattern on them.

If you wanted to make this flush, it probably wouldn't be that horrible to chop up the back of the housings. Figure out how much of it needs to come back, and how big it needs to be, then cut out that size circle around the plug end, glue the pipe to the housing, cut to size, and install the plug on the end. Like frenching a tail light, but in reverse. :)

Or... I haven't had my front end apart in a while, but, couldn't you just tighten the adjustment screws a little more? There's the one spot that's a ball swivel, but if you pushed that mount back a bit... might be easier than hacking the housing.

I thought about that and you defiantly could of but this is my dd and didnt have time to have my car down for a few days while i try to get the headlights right. These are kind of heavy and fat so the pipe thing might work the other part is making sure its secure and not going to be all bouncy when you hit bumps. it might also look weird inside the houseing unless you are planing on painting the chrome part. As of right now i like that i can just convert it back to the original style if need be.

You might be right about the adjustment screws though you might be able tighten it all the way and get the top in and relocate the bottom so its in more i havent looked at it much ha i just needed headlights again. There are defiantly ways to improve the whole install thats for sure. I didnt really plan it out very well i kind of just bought them and improvised as i went i did the whole thing from start to finish in 4 hours so not much thought was put into it.

so this projection assembly goes inside the housing and sticks out the rear slightly so a nut can be screwed on right? I wonder if a sealed beam conversion type headlight has more room than the PF style headlight does??

yeah it goes inside but it is too big to fit inside the regular housing with out doing what i did or cutting the back and trying to secure it that way. it actually doesnt stick out to far at all in the back and the nut was tiny so its actually smaller then oem and you dont used the big twist knobs like you do with the regular lights anymore if that makes sense. The sealed beam housings will have the reflectors in the glass and that is not good with projectors you need it to be clear in the front with no light deflection pattern. I also dont think you can pop the sealed beam ones apart can you?

Edited by edicer2

BAD NEWS.....so pretty much the kit failed today. I was not able to fix the one projector that had the bad cut off line no matter what i did and the halos and the evil eyes all died and quit working.

I think i am just going to have to take it all apart and revert back to the ****** original setup unfortunately.

I guess i talked up a good product to soon. I would personaly keep it if i could get the one projectors cut off line to work correctly because the projetor part does work great yet.Sorry i talked up a product so early next time i will have to test it out longer.

^ this is exactly what I warned people about before, them not being reliable

if you want a decent setup on the budget, try some PIAA XtremeWhite bulbs relayed to the battery with Nissan relays

i did that setup and it works amazing at night

• Like 1

^ this is exactly what I warned people about before, them not being reliable

if you want a decent setup on the budget, try some PIAA XtremeWhite bulbs relayed to the battery with Nissan relays

i did that setup and it works amazing at night

I'm not paying 60 dollars for headlight bulbs.

• Like 1

they're $15 each if you know where to get them

another possibility is doing a sealed beam conversion with the hardbody grill but that will require a bit more effort and you have to see for yourself if you like the way it looks

you can still keep the projectors but i would put them below the bumper or into the bumper somewhere and that way you don't have ridiculous headlights and still have the option to use projectors since you have the ballasts and stuff

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

yeah i thought about getting the hardbody grill because they have direct bolt on headlights with projectors that would replace the ones in the headboard grill but i wasnt a fan of them. I would keep these if the passenger side projector didnt have a broken cut off. I was looking on their page and noticed these havea high and low beam. Well the low beam has the great cut off like the drivers side and the side with the bad cut off looks like the picture of the projectors on high beam mode. so i think its stuck on high beam or something dumb like that and i am not sure how to make it go to low beam.

my low beam on the drivers side looks like the one on the right and my low beam on the passenger side looks like the one on the left which looks its suppose to be a high beam

h-l.jpg

so i think its suck on high beam....if i could get it unstuck i would keep them.

Edited by edicer2

yeah i thought so too it hasn't worked correctly from the beginning though. I have completely rewired it and it seems to keep sticking in high beam im not sure. when i turn the high beam on the lights turn off which doesn't make sense since they are bixexon and are wired to the high beams and low beams but my passenger low beam looks just ,ike that high beam so i think thats what the problem is.

Edited by edicer2

I got it!!! So i found out it was stuck on high beam. So i looked at the wire harness that came with the kit and found which wires connected to the projector then i cut that part off the orginal harness. I then connected it to the projector and striped the ends that i had cut and extended the wires. I then hooked up one to pos and one to neg on the battery really really quick. The projector went click click click and then popped to low beam. So i just drove and i didnt get flashed or anything it works great and the cut off is nice and low again!

That looks much better. :aok:

If I was to do HIDs, I wouldn't use Bi-Xenon. Probably only the low beam style HID lights and I would put them in place of fog lights so I don't have to bastardize the headlights.

• Like 1

Thanks! yeah thats all i have them wired to right now anyways my high beams have always caused me to many problems (even when they were regualr bulbs) and they are so bright on low beam i would never need the highs.

• 1 month later...

Thanks! yeah thats all i have them wired to right now anyways my high beams have always caused me to many problems (even when they were regualr bulbs) and they are so bright on low beam i would never need the highs.

Hi Edicer2,

Loved your HID setup. The light output is quite impressive. I plan to do something similar

myself and hope you can help me out. I need the following dimensions "A", "B", "C" and "D"

please:

Dimensions2.jpg

Dimensions1.jpg

Note: I will need "A" and "B" dimensions without the gap ;)

William

Hi William I will try and measure that for you might he hard now with the grill and brush guard back on there. C and D are the same size as the OEM headlights but ill measure them anyways I will also get the measurements for A and B