Knocking

linkinpark

I had a quick question. My 98 every winter has had a knocking when it is cold out but only for less than ten seconds. I just figured the pump was going out but have not ever changed it. Well just this last week it has changed. Now its a continuous knocking. Almost like a rod bearing. But it does seem to be as consistent as a rod bearing. It seems to fade and come back a little. If the oil pump went out would it make a knocking noise???

I use quakerstate 10-30. Synthetic. With a K&N oil filter. Only maybe 2k miles on this change. I just went outside and checked again because there is no ambient noise right now and it might be top end noise. I really need a scope.

K&N oil filters are nothing more than Mobil 1 filters with the weird nut thing on the bottom for a socket insert. If you can get M1 filters for cheaper than K&N, go with those. If you have Advance Auto Parts in Oregon, you can order online and use discount codes to get em pretty damn cheap. They are good filters, though! Stick with them. At first I thought your noise might be related to the oil filter (some have lousy anti-drainback valves which can cause noise or rattle on start up sometimes, but then again isn't the oil filter vertical on the 3.3L?).

How cold are winters in Oregon? Perhaps 10W-30 is not the ideal weight for wintertime.

It hasn't even gotten below 40 yet. My oil is fine. I am not starting to thing that it is a top end problem and my oil pump is not pumping enough. I do have 190K on the motor.

it's most likely the lifters

try adding some lucas oil stabilizer to quiet them down

Ugh, if you do this get STP (blue bottle) which actually has some additives, ZDDP for one, instead of being useless 140wt gear oil with nothing added to it which just dilutes the additive pack in the oil. I think both will thicken up the oil about a grade anyway. Or maybe just run some 15W40 HDEO, but I'd hate to run that in the winter. Probably better than adding gorilla snot to the oil, though.

Edited by Towncivilian

Last winter my truck ran without much issue on 10w30, provided I let it warm up for a minute or so (it was pretty cold). If you're doing an oil change for winter anyway, 5w might be a good idea. Mine ticks a little on cold starts, but that's just the lifters before the oil gets up there, which I understand is pretty common. Is it a tick or a knock?

Check the computer if you can, if it's knocking, it may be throwing codes.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Last winter my truck ran without much issue on 10w30, provided I let it warm up for a minute or so (it was pretty cold). If you're doing an oil change for winter anyway, 5w might be a good idea. Mine ticks a little on cold starts, but that's just the lifters before the oil gets up there, which I understand is pretty common. Is it a tick or a knock?

Check the computer if you can, if it's knocking, it may be throwing codes.

Yup i have the same ticking at start ups after sitting all night or after work ,but its not doing it all the time.Some start ups are quite and nice and if it does tick than it only last for 2-3 seconds. I use castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 but try to use 5w30 for winter and i have 127,000 kms on it. I also spoke to the service advisor at Nissan and he said its very common with R50'S as they get older and there is no need for any concern unless the ticking does not fade away.Oh by the way its the lifters that ticks at start ups.

Try 0w30. It will flow faster than 10w or 5w, and will help get oil up to the lifters sooner, especially in the winter. I run 0w30 year-round. Mobil-1 is available from Walmart. Alternatively, try some high detergent Rotella Diesel Engine Oil to dissolve sludge deposits that may be clogging your oil galleries. Its available in 10w30 and 5w40. Mix both 1:1 or so to get to about 5w30. Rotella is also readily available at Walmart.

Make sure you have a good filter with a functioning anti-drainback valve. I've purchased quality filters that had defective anti-drain valves that cause the startup tick, since the oil pump needs to refill the filter before it can pressurize anything else. I only use Wix/Napa Gold/Purolator PureOne filters as they have silicone anti-drain valves, and good filtration properties. Everything else seems to have such spotty quality I just don't bother anymore.

As an aside, I had a dodge with a 4.7l v8 that had what was commonly referred to as "lifter tick" at startup. I put a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner (not a typo) in the gas, and the startup tick disappeared. Noisy injectors ended up being the issue, and might be worth a try as well.

So here is what seems to be the actual problem. The oil pump. It has gone out or is just malfunctioning. I will start up and have the lifter tick for about 5 seconds then go away like normal. Then after a few minutes my oil like comes on and the ticking comes back but gets really bad. I'm not driving it till I replace the pump. But there is no other answer than that. That I can think would cause this. Pretty sure I have an oil leak coming from behind the pump somewhere anyway.