2" vs 3" pro's and cons

wd21overland

I've read through the forums and almost all online resources about how to install and 3" and 2" body lift on a pathfinder but just want some input from people that have installed either or.

I know the 2" you have a couple things less you have to do vs the 3" but what exactly dont you have to do with 2".

I will be doing this in the drive way at my house so ease of install would be a plus i have already removed all body bolts and reinstalled them along with the bumper bolts so that wont slow me down( due to a stuck bolt) and i have also removed the bottom fan shroud portion, installed a external tranny cooler with longer lines and power steering lines have already been replaced and extended so everything that has to be extended or removed for the body lift has already been done in preperation minus extending the fuel filler.

The only thing holding me back is that i've read with the 3" you have to cut into the metal around the transfercase shifter in order to get into 4lo which i would prefer not to do since i just bought a new factory rubber shifter seal and dont wont to tear it up.

SO just wanting some insight from people that have done either and what all was needed to be modified inorder to fit one or the other.

The 3" body lift is cheaper oddly so that a plus just wanting to see the main problems with it.

The only thing holding me back is that i've read with the 3" you have to cut into the metal around the transfercase shifter in order to get into 4lo which i would prefer not to do since i just bought a new factory rubber shifter seal and dont wont to tear it up.

No.

Yes, the 3" is cheaper but I bought a 2" from a private party for even less. The 3" are cheaper due to volume of sales, everyone seems to want to go as high as possible... :shrug:

The real question is how high do you need/want to go and why? The only real thing thing a body lift does is raise the CG, give you clearance to access things and raise the wheel wells for large tire clearance. What size tire do you plan to run?

B

The real question is how high do you need/want to go and why? The only real thing thing a body lift does is raise the CG, give you clearance to access things and raise the wheel wells for large tire clearance.

B

technically ain't that ANY lift, be it body or suspension As you can add 3 feet of suspension lift and the bottom of your axle (well rear at least for us) will be in the same spot until you bolt some bigger rubber on?

It's more a question of what fits your needs better though :shrug:

Sorry, I actually had a point too. No matter how much lift you bolt on, you still have the same lowest point (rear axle and technicall some point o our front lower control arms) until you put bigger tires. Lifting wether it be body or suspension help necesitate those bigger tires. Proably still sounds garbled but I know what I mean :lol:

Ahh, I get it now. True, ground clearance doesn't really change without bigger tires, but that isn't the only reason to lift. Some people squeeze on the biggest tires possible without lifting just for this reason. Still, suspension lifting and tuning does the most and may allow enough room for the tires one wants, IMO the body lift should only be used after that if it is not enough.

Of course, this is from someone who has both a body and suspension lift and runs stock sized tires... ;)

B

All is well :aok: suspension adds way more tuning than body, which just adds a little more space.

Proably moot point anyway from someone with both lifts and only 1 extra inch of rubber as well :rofl:

Yes, the 3" is cheaper but I bought a 2" from a private party for even less. The 3" are cheaper due to volume of sales, everyone seems to want to go as high as possible... :shrug:

The real question is how high do you need/want to go and why? The only real thing thing a body lift does is raise the CG, give you clearance to access things and raise the wheel wells for large tire clearance. What size tire do you plan to run?

B

My goal is to run 33"s and more clearance between the body and engine/tranny would come in handy then next time i need to hank the transmission out.

3" BL Sounds great since i do love the look of it being a bit higher just seeing what is the real difference between installing 1 or the other.

I've read that the shifter can be left alone along with the fuel filler but if thats really all there is difference i might just go 3 but really want to see if the 3" stretches stuff a little to far that can cause issues offroad.

I've decided to go with the 3" BL mainly do to the fact that i don't want do the whole i wish i gone bigger if i got the 2".

I have already lengthed all my hoses 3"s minus the fuel filler so i can save some time once i get started so i should just have to extend the fuel filler lines, move the bumpers up and installed the spacers for the safety loops.

I know the Factory directions aren't the best for installing the lift so is there anything else that needs to be extended or moved that i haven't done yet.

Anything i can do now before the kit gets here would be a great time saver.

I know something has to be done with the brake lines in the engine bay i think but cant remember.

Edited by wd21overland

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to go with the 3" BL mainly do to the fact that i don't want do the whole i wish i gone bigger if i got the 2".

I have already lengthed all my hoses 3"s minus the fuel filler so i can save some time once i get started so i should just have to extend the fuel filler lines, move the bumpers up and installed the spacers for the safety loops.

I know the Factory directions aren't the best for installing the lift so is there anything else that needs to be extended or moved that i haven't done yet.

Anything i can do now before the kit gets here would be a great time saver.

I know something has to be done with the brake lines in the engine bay i think but cant remember.

Hi, was wondering if you had this done - pics? I'm in the same boat debating both. I already have a SL (2.5 at front / 3 at rear) Thinking about a 2" BL, as I'm going continue with 31s and change the rims for more BS. Thanks, Dan.