Project Black Beauty

smoke

Well I have been doing my research on here for a few years and watched a lot of you guys do your upgrades and custom works. Im going to start my own project....called Black Beauty She will be getting Old Man Emu coils HD in the front and MD in the rear(I made sure that they were the right part numbers). She will also be getting the slightly used 4 link system from my previous R50. Custom front and rear bumpers along with a custome roof rack.

The only question I have for you guys as it sits right now is the rear schocks. What brand is best suited? Rancho 5000's, Rancho 9000's, ARB's Nitro, or Bilistien 5000 series?

Will update with pictures of stock to what she will become.

If this needs to be move mods feel free

Edited by smoke

Stock caR50

1996 LE 4x4

R5020.jpg

Builds to come:

-swap wheels and tires from last R50___DONE

-missing link____DONE

-rebuild of 4 link rear suspension

-KYB GR-2 Struts____DONE

-OME HD front coils___DONE...pain in the ass had to use 3 coil compressors at same time

-OME MD rear coils___DONE

-custom front and rear bumpers

-custom roof rack and lighting system

-install of electronics and warning lights (led amber and led take downs from police lightbar)

-WARN hubs

-Steel 15x8 cragers with AT or MT--offroad and/winter time

-Stock 15" rims with highway tread normal all season 50k mile plus

Edited by smoke

I like the fact that I dont have to get out and switch hubs on....I have been in several situations where I need 4x4 right then and there...Driving down the highway and top a hill and theres 10 car pile up, slame the breaks and put in 4x4 hit median about 50mph down ditch and out other side turn around and render aid to victims...Car sliding sideways down hill on ice and embankment on right. I went for the embankment up and over 5 seconds later the car taht was sliding down the hill hit the minivan that was behind me. There are pro's and con's of having unlockable hubs. In my opinion I like the fact i can throw the lever anytime and have 4x4... Will have to see how the cv boots react to the diffrent angles also.

Use Warn hubs, leave them locked in the winter. Same as having the stock setup.

X2, that's the way to go. Use the benefits when you won't need 4wd, lock em down when you think you have the possibility :aok:

X2, that's the way to go. Use the benefits when you won't need 4wd, lock em down when you think you have the possibility :aok:

X3, even if you NEVER unlock them, if you break a CV joint or drive axle on the trail, you can unlock and drive home. Think of it as an insurance policy. There's really no reason not to have them.

I like the fact that I dont have to get out and switch hubs on....I have been in several situations where I need 4x4 right then and there...Driving down the highway and top a hill and theres 10 car pile up, slame the breaks and put in 4x4 hit median about 50mph down ditch and out other side turn around and render aid to victims...Car sliding sideways down hill on ice and embankment on right. I went for the embankment up and over 5 seconds later the car taht was sliding down the hill hit the minivan that was behind me. There are pro's and con's of having unlockable hubs. In my opinion I like the fact i can throw the lever anytime and have 4x4... Will have to see how the cv boots react to the diffrent angles also.

I feel the same way . Here in Toronto the winter can be brutal at times and love the fact of throwing into 4x4 in the Pathy without stepping out in the mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Living in MT, I would leave my hubs locked all winter. Once summer hit though, they never needed to be locked unless offroad.

Thanx for the replys on the shocks and hubs....I beleave I will be intalling a set soon....maybe get some for XMAS...

On a side note..I got the suspension installed and missing link on. The drive is a 1000% times better. Now its time for me to get cleaned up and some sleep. Will post what pix I remembered to take when Im back among the living...lol

It has been one hellofa week for me....worked doubles the last 5 days in a row...But here are the pix of the install and post install. It took me about 4 hours to do the entire install. With the right tools....lol The ride is 1000% better than the used stock springs. I suggest these to anyone...I may be gettin a few customers from my job that Own R50's to let me install same on theres...we shall see.

Old and used strut/springs on left and new strut/spring on right

0921112352.jpg

Pix of passenger side installed

0921112353.jpg

Front

0922111520a.jpg

Rear

0922111520b.jpg

Overall

0922111520.jpg

Looks good, have the same planned for the Q when it cools off a bit here.

Did you take before & after measurements for actual height?

Tires are fast becoming a priority here so we are going to have to deal with them pre-suspension.

Sorry I forgot to add that on here....

pre-install

235/75/15

stock suspension

post lift

265/70/15

ARB HD front add 3.5"

ARB MD rear add 4.2"

From puttin it back to stock hight and swaping in the larger tires gave it the added lift, but it was almost 1.25" above stock hight even with stock 235/75/15 tires.

• 2 months later...

Builds to come:

-swap wheels and tires from last R50___DONE

-missing link____DONE

-rebuild of 4 link rear suspension___Poly split bushings in lower control arms....took all of 10 min to install bushings, 4 hours of cutting out old control arms...

-KYB GR-2 Struts____DONE

-OME HD front coils___DONE...pain in the ass had to use 3 coil compressors at same time

-OME MD rear coils___DONE

-custom front and rear bumpers

-custom roof rack and lighting system

-install of electronics and warning lights (led amber and led take downs from TOMAR police lightbar for rearbackup lights)

-WARN hubs

-Steel 15x8 cragers with AT or MT--offroad and/winter time

-Stock 15" rims with highway tread normal all season 50k mile plus

More to come.....

• 11 months later...

Well it's been a while since I have updated here...

16" steel rims(from a half ton Chevy) 265/70/16 snow tires

e6ete5up.jpg

After hitting 2 deer out of about 15 that decided to cross the highway all at once....ury4e7u4.jpg

shattered the plastic bumper, my newest set of IPF lights(868's) and the windshield washer liquid box( in need of one ASAP)....

Now that the front end is badly hurt I decide to build a new one from steel laying around... 2y8uja4e.jpg

emytazyb.jpg

etagutyq.jpg

1/2" plate steel for mounting...elongated down frame for extra stability and strength... also with a plate bolted to the bottom of the radiator frame and then welded to the other mount plates.

yzynabeb.jpg

C-channel beam welded in place 7"x2"x3/8"...will have cut outs for a new set of IPF lights and turn signals with marker lights that I scanned from my old Nissan 720...

this is the style I'm going for when finishes will look something similar to this.... I also believe he is a member here

eva4a9am.jpg

You got that right I pity the fool who steps/pulls out in front of me in the future...lol and she takes form... to take up the space between the steel and body I got a 3"wide by 1/4" thick flat steel... need to go to Canadian Tire and get some more grinding and cutting disks and paint.... plain black rustolium should do the trick.

agytese4.jpg

9enybypa.jpg

a4adusy6.jpg

got everything to light up YAY!!!

u8esyne5.jpg

was looking at the lights and how to set them up...what do ya guys/gals think??

ytu4uqa5.jpg

the hella black magic for the high beam spots and the IPF 968 will have the gold tinted lenses put back in on it's own switch..

got some of the top skins on the bumper

usy8a6y5.jpg

all that is left is to trim and weld the side prices at the tires and mount and wire up the other lights...

only bad thing is I killed another grinder tonight.... these mastercraft grinders are real POS... on a very very tight budget so I may just wait till I get to where I'm going to finish the bumper... all the important parts are there... lights and turn signals...

Was going to do a receiver mount style winch... but time constraints I chose not to worry about that right now... I do have to put in some tow mounts figured I drill holes for shackles and call it done...

But this is my first real full fabrication of a bumper and the next one will be nicer...lol