air intake

dfather99

what is a good entry level air intake, that is both cheap (less a 175 bucks), easy to install and give improvements i can feel, or should i just start up with just a K&N filter if so what width and what size etc. -alcohol-

http://www.jimbennett.net/k__n_installation.htm

Search around on the forums for more about this. A drop-in K&N panel filter is a good step too. There aren't any real replacement intakes for our trucks like there are in the import world. =) The JWT popcharger is another option I hear. Search around for that too.

I put on the K&N cone filter with a machined "holder" that attaches directly to the intake after you remove the Filter Box. After the ECU got used to it (about a week) I now get a nice "pop" off the line I didn't have before with some added juice to the HP. Sorry I can't remember the name of the company, but found them after researching K&N's for pathfinders. Mine is a 95.

Happy hunting.

PS:

about 100 bucks, all included, took about 30 minutes to tear out the box and put this in.

Hey thanks guys for all the help. The fuel line job looks easy enough but i know i would mess up in a heartbeat. turns out ebay has a cheapo cone filter that comes with an adapter for the Pathfinder, so i'll do that and if the filter is a joke at least i still have the adapter. But thanks all for the help i appreciate it and thanks Precise1 for the offer, I might still need it though if this ebay one is a joke. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

precise1 is that offer for the MAF adapter this on the table let me know b/c the once i got off ebay is a dud so i dono what measurements you'll need i mean it should be the same as your pathy if it's a 90-95. thanks -alcohol-

I haven't had any problems with doing it the way it talks about on the MrJim site, using the gold plate out of your stock airbox and sealing it all up with some fuel hose. You should be able to find a adapter that fits though.

If you are going to fab one up, all you need to do is take the measurements yourself, all you'd need is the bolt hole pattern, and the inlet would depend on the size of the filter that you bought.

i just recently put in the K&N replacement airfilter and boy it runs so much better, it used to bog, the acceleration totally sucked, but now, it kicks hiney. and the filter is about 50 bucks and installation is about 10secs. that's the easy route.

One thing I saw and thought about trying was an intake for a Maxima of the same year. It looked like the tube for between the MAF and TB had all the right outputs for vacuum lines and such that our's have. Anyone tried that route?

I have a 99 Maxima and a 93 pathy, I know they are differnet, but I will look into my short ram intake on my max bolting to the pathy. If the vacum lines are similar, it could work. My intake is a frankencar unit w/K&N, and an aluminum mid-pipe.

I have a 99 Maxima and a 93 pathy, I know they are differnet, but I will look into my short ram intake on my max bolting to the pathy. If the vacum lines are similar, it could work. My intake is a frankencar unit w/K&N, and an aluminum mid-pipe.

Cool, let us know. Like I said I almost bought a system for a Maxima off E-bay because it looked like it would work, but didn't want to wind up with a useless intake lying around.

Guest brendone

Search E-Bay for "Pathfinder intake". Lots of cones w/ adapter cheap. I bought the same thing from the dealer for ~$50.

Thinking about switching back to the stock airbox with a drop in K&N. I don't mind the extra growl when I hit the gas, but there's also a squeal that's more apparent with the box off (typical with others that have switched to a cone).

I see at Walmart that Fram has a new thing called "airhog" it seems to be basically a K&N filter, washable, blah blah blah. I think it was $46, I didn't buy it, but it looked pretty nice

Why buy a Fram knock off of a K&N when you can buy a K&N for the same price? :secret:

:shrug:

Maybe someday I will want one, and I will be at walmart, and I won't have to make a special trip to checkers or autozone? both of which I avoid and all costs. I DID have to break down and go there the other day for some fuel line tho dammit cuz I just can't find that at a normal store. Walmart should start carrying that stuff hee hee they USED TO have 1/8" vacuum line on the shelf above the windshield wipers, it was officially for your washer fluid but it was also vacuum line

Its a sad state of affairs when people start calling Walmart a "normal" store. More like a venom sucking giant or pariah according to the local west coast folks. That or a communal post for middle America to unite. :D I'm not overly knocking, as I shop there as well for household things and such. But a comparison of Walmart shopping as "normal" is like calling McDonalds dining a culinary treat. Guess its a midwest thing though.

Yep, nothing like eating some ultra-fat cancer fries while shopping for cheap stuff. I go there for household stuff, but only on like a Tuesday night when the place is at least tolerable. Most of the time its like shopping at a demolition derby/circus.