Question!

GApathfinder

Hey errbody =) Just got back from a quick trail ride with a few buddies in the pathy. I noticed a button on the shifter knob that said over-drive. I turned it on, out of curiosity and didn't really know what it did.

Could someone tell me what that button does?

Sorry for sounding like a neeewwbb, just trying to figure everything out on the car.

OH. one more question. DO I have to come to a full stop when switching from 2 to 4H? I have always just stopped at the entrance of the trails and put it in 4, just being safe. I know to do all the shift ti neutral to go to 4L and all that, but not about the 2 to 4.

Again, sorry for the newby question.

I'm not an automatic transmission expert, but presumably overdrive enables another gear that has a gear ratio less than one, i.e. the drive shaft spins faster than the engine. Presumably you want to leave this switch in the on position most of the time, unless you are in a situation where you don't want to use your highest gear (maybe going up and down hills or something).

There is a pinned topic called "shifting on the fly" in the garage section that discusses your stopping to shift into 4wd question :)

Yeah I looked there and read the whole thing before I posted this. But, I just needed complete clarification.

Just bustin' your balls. I had to re-read it when I first picked up my Pathy. :FartExplode-vi:

figured out the whol OD thing, which apparently saves gas....

I only use that little gem when I'm trucking up long hills or pulling the boat to the lake.

I did noticed when driving with it on, the revs go up more with less pressure to the pedal. Maybe that's when it's off.... when the light on the dash is on, that means it's off right? lol I sound like a total retard...

I use the overdrive on my 95 when cruising (above 50). I think I read somewhere that it does something with the torque converter? I only use it if I'm going above fifty, otherwise it bogs in stop-and-go and won't engine brake. Example: I'm going fifty, overdrive engaged, and approaching my turnoff. I let off the gas, and it coasts. I disengage overdrive, engine RPM jumps, and the truck slows dramatically. If I time it right, I barely need to touch the brakes to make the turn.

I don't use it off-road, in snow, or pretty much anywhere except the highway. Then again, I'm slightly paranoid about cooking my trans (no cooler yet).

yes the button turns it off. The only times you need to turn it off is if you are towing something more than 50% of the rated towing capacity. I always turn it off in town when you are constantly speeding up and down. It make one less shift it has to go through over and over again. Also it will shift into over drive at low speeds and lug the motor burning more gas. It wont hurt anything if you never turn it off in town, my wife doesn't even know about that button on her quest van and she is up to 150K so far with no troubles.

James

Alright cool, thanks guys.

So, say if I were to go back and forth to school everyday, or just be driving around off the highways, I should just turn it off, but if I were to go into Atlanta, taking the highway, I should turn it on. (final clarrification, lol)

Alright cool, thanks guys.

So, say if I were to go back and forth to school everyday, or just be driving around off the highways, I should just turn it off, but if I were to go into Atlanta, taking the highway, I should turn it on. (final clarrification, lol)

You got it! :)

If you are going up a hill and you know you are in 3rd gear turning off OD will lock the torque converter in 3rd. this lowers the RPMs and reduces the heat/parasitic loss from spinning an unlocked converter.

The reason it doesn't lock on its own is because it thinks its going to shift into OD soon and does not lock when shifting.

Overdrive is beast for highways (better fuel economy because it gears your A/T up, Bringing the Rpms down!) Ive heard from the grape vine that is not as economical to use for Intown driving, Apparently it wears the tran out faster when in overdrive and trying to go from a full stop to moving, Like i said thats just down the grape vine.

You can shift from 2 WD into 4H at any speed. (so handy in the winter and you want to get from Highway to Campground trail) =P