Security Lugs, no key

Trogdor636

I've been wanting to take off my spare tire carrier to repaint it, so upon removing my spare tire cover I ran into this. Not one, but 3 security lugs on the spare tire. Peachy. Anybody have any tips or tricks to get them off easy? I made a half hearted effort with some vice grips, and a cheap Harbor Frieght nut breaker, no dice so far.

photo.jpg

find someone with a set of THESE, The best tool ever made for lost/missing lock keys and not harming the wheel when that's a concern. I have a set at work (different brand and the 4 piece set) they VERRY rairly let me down.

Call your local Nissan dealer and see if they can help you remove them. They should have a 'wheel lock master key set". Tell them your delemia, maybe they wont charge you to pop them off.

You did check around the jack and in the tool bag for the key, right?

Another idea i've heard is to just hammer on an impact socket that is a bit too small. The lugnut will deform and you should be able to spin it off, but you likely sacrifice the socket. If you want to be dirty you can probably cut/grind the lugs off, but you will end up doing some damage to the threads. If you are really careful maybe and don't destroy things entirely then maybe you can clean them up enough for spare tire use with the appropriate die. But Nunya has the "right" solution.

Good thing you never got a flat :)

Edited by sewebster

Call your local Nissan dealer and see if they can help you remove them. They should have a 'wheel lock master key set". Tell them your delemia, maybe they wont charge you to pop them off.

You did check around the jack and in the tool bag for the key, right?

My local dealer is satan. Yea, no tool bag came with it. The factory manual has a little piece of paper that says something about the vehicle coming with security lugs though. Which is helpful. Not.

Edited by Trogdor636

Another idea i've heard is to just hammer on an impact socket that is a bit too small. The lugnut will deform and you should be able to spin it off, but you likely sacrifice the socket. If you want to be dirty you can probably cut/grind the lugs off, but you will end up doing some damage to the threads. If you are really careful maybe and don't destroy things entirely then maybe you can clean them up enough for spare tire use with the appropriate die. But Nunya has the "right" solution.

Good thing you never got a flat :)

I have seen that option, which I was ok with if it was one lug, but 3 of them made me :crazy:

I have pondered the cutting process with my grinder, but thats more of a last ditch effort since I am trying to save the threads.

On round keyed lugs like that this is how you remove them. Take a grinder with a cut off wheel in 2 opposite sides of the lug nut cut a flat edge on them so you can put a adjustadle wrench on them with a pry bar on the end of it and remove them.

large vise grips have worked but the lost-lockkey socketset from HF work excellent

I have never seen such a set at my Harbor Frieght. But now that 2 people say it exists, I'm out the door to my local store.

try a store that sells wheels and tires, we used to remove them for people at my old job occasionally. I have the locking lug nut removal set myself. I would try tapping a socket on the lugs.

So I guess I have never seen one because according to the guy at Harbor Frieght, some California law made them remove that and some other "theft" items out of stores in my state. He remembers having them, but couldnt remember when they had to remove them from the shelf. He said they cant even sell those emergency hammer/seatbelt cutter emergency tools because of it. Go figure.

Id go with what Nunya linked, I just had to use those, you hammer them on, and impact them off, work great.

I replaced the security nuts with some regular lugs, as mine were all stripped, and no key of any sort would work with em(and because I think security nuts are worthless, if someone wants what you have bad enough they wont stop till they find a way, given enough time).

I had to take those very lugs off a car.

1/2 drive 19mm thin wall socket, buy the cheapest one of course since this WILL ruin the socket.

Pound it on there good with a hammer, and use a breaker bar to loosen the lug. you'll more than likely need a hammer to get the stocket off the lug once it's off the vehicle.

Turn them off with a chisel. Wear safety glasses because the lug body is hardened so it cant be turned with pliers. I had to remove them from my pathy like this when I got it.

James