I think this is the end

Fukinitupagain

I'm sad to say that this might be the end of my R50. The transmission is dumping tranny fluid out & is all messed up. It could just be a seal or a hose but the problem is in order to do even that fix the tranny would have to come out, since I do not have the facilities I have to go to my mechanic & I know just to pull out & put the tranny back in will be around the $800-1000 mark. If it's just a seal I'd be looking at about $1000-1200 all the way around (being that the seal only cost $15 but tranny fluid & a new filter & such will up it a bit), & then theres no guarantee that its just a seal thats gone bad. If its that the transmission is going bad & the leak continues b/c of the pressure build up then I'll have to either rebuild or replace the tranny on top of the monies already spent (and being, as I said before, that I have no garage or facilities I'd have to "out-source" the work again), which means... this is probably it for the R50. Its hard for me to justify dumping so much money into it with only a 50/50 chance of it working right. I'm going to sit on it for a couple of days but being that I work 40 hrs a week as a janitor & pay for college on my own theres not a whole lot of liquid cash at my disposal.

Park it and buy/borrow a bicycle/ride the bus. Save the money from gas/suspended insurance/beer/fun toward the repair. Consider selling something for quick cash to raise $$$. Be honest with yourself. Do you really need everything you have? Try http://www.car-part.com to see if you can find a good used unit locally. Do have any friends that have/rent a house where you could work in the garage? Worst case scenario is to have your whole box removed/rebuilt/reinstalled professionally should be about $2500 USD. Consider what a replacement vehicle will cost, and anything cheap is going to have its own problems too.

Good luck, man. I remember working my way through college. Worst years of my life. I don't miss being a starving student at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE

weigh out what you will be able to buy for what you got scrapped together plus the sale of the truck compared to the repair itself would be my only suggestion. Gotta do what you gotta do though... best of luck whichever way you try to swing it :beer:

could always gooing tons of silicone everywhere :lol:

I have a '94 F-250, thats my work truck that I'm using as my daily driver. But I might just turn the truck into my daily driver & be done with the R50. I've had it for 11 years now. Bought it bone stock with 19K miles on it & have since gotten another 206K miles.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure I pay a lot for it (I know it has been wheeled hard), but what did happen with it? I know you really liked it.

We all make $/situation choices so don't think that isn't understood.

B

• 2 weeks later...

i would get a used one on Craigslist or car-part.com like mentioned above; also go on craigslist and find a mechanic who sounds like they know what they are talking about and see if you can strike a deal. or maybe a friend with facilities and tools?

Hey what state are you in I might be interested in buying the poor dear.

The camen are already circling.

As too the op, its entirly your choice, dont let others try and push you towards fixing if thats not what you want.

Best of luck.