Poll on new suv

well the pathy starting to show her age. Im looking to getting another suv. if you could get another suv but not the same pathy you have now what would you go with. im trying to weigh the pros and cons of the few im looking at.

08-09 Pathfinder

08-09 maybe 10 Jeep Grand Cherokee or commander or Wrangler 4dr(although highly underpowered)

Toyota FJ

08 09 4 runner

any other suggestions.

Does anyone have any experiences with these and if so what are your pros and cons.

The 4runners are so nice!! But the question is, what are your plans? Keeping it stock? Slight mods? Little to no off-road? These will narrow your search results.

Jose

Personally I'm going to go with a FJ when the financials stabilize. Worked with a guy who had one and it went anywhere, was the 6 speed and he could get 27 mpg on the highway. Yes it had stock non-aggressive tires on it so I'm sure that helped the gas but it was nice. The cherokee, pathfinder and 4runner seem better for luxury and room if you plan on hauling anything around without a trailer. so like 180x said, depends on what you plan on doing. Off road frequently - FJ or wrangler, otherwise the other three would be a good fit.

My mom has an FJ. I have no clue how he got 27MPGs... That is amazing! As far as the actual vehicle goes, they're tanks. They'll go where you put them. There's a fairly big aftermarket for them if I'm not mistaken. They're nice on the inside, but more of a rugged nice. They have a plastic floor coating which makes clean up incredibly easy and is great for the winter. As for power, they have that too, but nothing overwhelming.

And to think I almost got that handed down to me...

Which a reason why I didn't was because they are ERY hard to see out of, which a lot of blind spots. Just keep that in mind.

Materials quality is bottom of the barrel on the FJs but they are pretty cool when done up right. Although most of the time I think they're one of the most cantankerous and hideous things on the road.

Wheeler - do you want total off-road capabilities and a massive amount of aftermarket support, with some sacrifice to comfort? Wrangler. Want to go off road, have decent aftermarket support, and still have the comfort of a larger completely enclosed vehicle? Fj Cruiser.

Luxury - you can get almost anything with nice trim packaging. Do you have an opposition to Fords? Checked out the new Explorers lately? They're niiicee.

I guess what im looking for:

ability to do well offroad. I dont go wheeling alot or much like that but for when i go camping etc. as far as aftermarket im not too worried about that either I know that the wrangler has a huge aftermarket and i saw the fj has a fair amount too. however i probably would be doing much as far as lift and tires becase right now i live at the beach so not much wheeling territory. Luxury things i like just because thats what i have in my pathy. but mainly i just want leather. so dunno if that helps or not.

Well leather takes the Wrangler and FJ off the list.

Off road action? Pathfinder, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee. I believe you'll get a lot more options and an overall nicer equipped rig with a Grand Cherokee. Loaded 4Runners and Pathfinders are pretty pricey, unless that isn't a concern.

But if I wanted all of the luxury options and some off road abilities, I'd go with an '04 Pathfinder Platinum Edition. So nice.

Edited by Kingman

Is the Wrangler Unlimited (this is just the 4-door version right?) a respectable off-road vehicle in general? Or do you have to stick with the short Jeep (which has obvious advantages, but no storage space)?

if youre mostly dd'ing/mall crawling, the wrangler could get to be annoying with the amount of noise due to the removeable sheet metal that passes as doors. BOnus is you have a solid front axle off road.

Personally id go with a pathfinder or 4runner, but if I had my druthers id take a 100 series land cruiser if I had to get an SUV that wasn't an R50

Would anyone else consider a new xterra? The new engines are supposed to have a good output and they have more space and visibility that the FJ.

The FJ is really great but I test drove one and I could not see anything that was not in a straight line. I would not like to imagine riding in the wild with so little visibility.

I honestly like the 4 door wranglers, but I'd proably sell the doors and roof :lol:

Go drive em all around, you would be amazed the blindspots some trucks have... and don't forget domestics.

The Xterra is hands down the better vehicle for off roading, atleast more so than an FJ IMO.. Have 2 friends that own an FJ(2007 & 2006), constant problems for one of em, 4WD wont engage, and the tranny is slipping.

My dad has an Xterra(2006), that is truly a tank, the only complaint he has is the rear wheels dont like to keep traction without bags of sand over the rear axle. It has a ton of power, and they are the same type of 'rugged' nice that FJ's are. Every single recall(which to be honest have been a few) that HAS happened to his vehicle was handled by Nissan with no questions asked even when he was over the stated mileage it should be covered.

As for a nicer vehicle Id also suggest to get the newer pathy that others have been suggesting, although 4Runners look pretty nice as well..

If I wanted a vehicle like you are stating though, Id go Xterra and not think twice, they can be equipped with more creature comforts.

Edited by feyded

i'd strongly suggest against the FJ. when they came out, i thought they were pretty cool and appeared to be able to handle a lot. once i got into one, i immediately hated it. the blind spots never end and my opinion of it never got better from there.

From what I've heard, the FJ's go through a lot of windshields as well... they're nearly vertical, so there's little room for deflection.

My dad had an Xterra (don't remember what year, probably the first) for a while, and while it was a good truck in general, it was gutless. Pretty sure they fixed that for the next model year though.

My dad has a blue '07 FJ (2WD) and I hate driving it. Can't see anything that's not right ahead of you, as mentioned above. I think it gets the same mileage as my R50 (16-17mpg), but I have never driven it for any extended period of time nor offroad so my anecdote is mostly useless.

My dad had an Xterra (don't remember what year, probably the first) for a while, and while it was a good truck in general, it was gutless. Pretty sure they fixed that for the next model year though.

they are wd22 chassis code for a reason! :rofl: