Steering wheel "Natural" position changes as I drive throughout the day

brerben

This is the strangest problem I've had with my Pathfinder.

I start driving in my Pathfinder down the road, and my steering wheel is nice and centered (as opposed to mis-aligned vehicles where the steering wheel is turned several degrees to the left or right).

However, everything changes when I come to a stop light. When the light turns green and I start going, all of a sudden the steering wheel is horribly off-centered (I have to turn the steering wheel as much as 45 degrees to the left or right just to drive straight). There is no steering resistance when this happens; it's simply as if the steering wheel was taken off, turned 45 degrees, and put back on.

I had an alignment done a few months ago. What could this be??? Perhaps something wrong with the power steering system?

When this happens, is the off-center direction always to one direction, or does it sometimes go left or right? You will probably need to check the steering rack bushings and check for looseness/play in the rack or other steering components. Also check your tie-rods, ball joints, and A-arm bushings (front and rear).

That... sounds like something to sort out ASAP.

I'd check under it first and make sure that the grease monkeys who aligned it put all the screws back in.

My uneducated guess is that something is really loose somewhere, and when the truck tilts forward at the stoplight (from braking), or when you get on the gas again, something shifts around. Does it clunk at all when it does this? I've heard of the rear end shifting around a bit and making the car veer if the rear suspension bushings are hosed, but IIRC that was just when it hit bumps. Also, maybe check the bolt on the steering arm?

My trucks steering wheel recently went 20* to left to get it to go straight.... sucks, looks funny, Im gonna hope my alignment when I put my new tires fixes it

When this happens, is the off-center direction always to one direction, or does it sometimes go left or right? You will probably need to check the steering rack bushings and check for looseness/play in the rack or other steering components. Also check your tie-rods, ball joints, and A-arm bushings (front and rear).

It usually slides itself 45 degrees counter-clockwise, then as I drive throughout the day it goes back to center (more or less, sometimes 10 degrees to the right). So to answer your question, it is mostly between 45 degrees counter clockwise and centered up.

I will have all this checked when I bring it to the shop. Of the things you mentioned (tie-rods, ball joints, and A-arm bushings), which one would be the easiest/cheapest to replace?

That... sounds like something to sort out ASAP.

I'd check under it first and make sure that the grease monkeys who aligned it put all the screws back in.

My uneducated guess is that something is really loose somewhere, and when the truck tilts forward at the stoplight (from braking), or when you get on the gas again, something shifts around. Does it clunk at all when it does this? I've heard of the rear end shifting around a bit and making the car veer if the rear suspension bushings are hosed, but IIRC that was just when it hit bumps. Also, maybe check the bolt on the steering arm?

It makes a "clunking" noise if I turn the steering wheel sharp either way while idling; the noise seems to come from right under the engine...

I have already replaced my stock rubber trailing arm bushings with polyurethane ones from 4x4parts.com, and I do not have the "rear-end steering" problem any more (a.k.a. the "death wobble"), if that's what you're talking about.

My trucks steering wheel recently went 20* to left to get it to go straight.... sucks, looks funny, Im gonna hope my alignment when I put my new tires fixes it

yea mine looks so funny sometimes it's scary...lol

Edited by brerben

I would definitely check this out. You don't want to lose your steering entirely. Doesn't really sound like a tie-rod, ball-joint, or bushing problem to me. It sounds more like the steering wheel/shaft is losing its fixed connection to the system.

how convenient! yup, I have the 1st, 2nd and 4th symptoms listed on that site. I've had a leak of some sort for the last few months in the front of the vehicle around the steering rack, and I started having the symptoms when that leak began.

Edited by brerben