Not off to the best start...Oil Pressure Light

OK...I paid the $1300+ bill at the garage, drove home and walked back after dinner to pick up my new to me 1988 Pathfinder.

Turn the key, starts right up and the oil pressure light does not go off. I had walked from my house after dinner 3 miles to the garage, the shop was closed and at this point it was dark. I decided I needed more light to see if this was something I could possibly deal with so I drove the Pathfinder home 3 miles with the oil pressure light on the whole time. I get home and the engine bay stinks of smoking oil. NICE... I pop the hood and check the oil level in the garage. The level is about 1/2 to 1 inch above the H! I have a mityvac so I sucked out some oil, to be honest I have no idea how much I got out as the mityvac's reserve was almost full and I had to stop. I check the oil level again and it is still a little above the H. I decide to ask my wife to follow me the 3 miles back to the garage and I drop the Pathfinder back to the shop last night. On the 3 mile drive back to the garage the Oil Pressure light stayed on and only a few breif occasions would it flicker off for a second and then back on...

Questions:

- what could cause this? (too much oil is that possible?)

- did I do or could I have possibly done any permenant damage driving the car on my 6 mile round trip with the oil pressure light on?

I was hoping for a better start to my Pathfinder ownership... I have to say something good about my Pathfinder the A/C!!!!!!!!! It blew instantly ICE COLD, really meat locker cold! I was very impressed.

Thanks again listers!

Andrew

yes, it's caused by having too much oil in it. You may have blown an oil seal somewhere, so check the filter, pressure switch, and the weeping hole for the rear main seal (between the transmission and engine there is a small hole at the bottom of the bell housing). If you didn't excessively rev or load the engine, you might be ok, but it's best to clean any leaked oil off the areas I mentioned, get the proper amount of oil in there, start the truck up and watch for leaks. If the engine stays clean, take it for a mild test drive and check again. If there is not leaks, put the engine under load and check again. If it stays clean, consider yourself lucky, as the mechanic (if you could call them that) may have just spilled some on the manifold while they were over filling it. The engine can take about 3 5/8 quarts, and it's better to be a little low on oil, than too high.

Im not completely sure but on my 92 pathfinder ( the vg30e and not the vg30i like yours) my oil pressure light only seems to come on when the oil is low but I have never overfilled it to see if that would cause it also. The only thing I could imagine is to much oil in the motor can cause it to get forced out the gaskets like the head gasket. I knew someone a few years ago that overfilled his 240sx with a whole extra quart of oil and it pushed his head gasket out. Personally I would yell at the shop for over filling it and then I would change the oil myself so i know it has the right amount in there.

Edited by edicer2

This is not sounding to promising... I called the garage this afternoon for a update. The owner of the shop told me the mechanic who worked on my car told him the Oil Pressure Light was on when the car was delivered! Uh no I just bought the car and I am not completely new to buying cars I have owned over 85 cars in my 46 years... Fortunately the owner agreed the light was not on when the car was dropped off. He then tells me "We can not get it to start..." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him I walked 3 miles to get the car last night and it started first turn of the key. I drove it 3 miles and shut it off, let it sit for about 45 mins and turned the key and it started again and drove it right back to his shop last night.

UGH! Could the oil pressure light being on for 6 miles have anything to do with the Pathfinder now not starting?

I am begining to think my 37 year old Alfa Romeo is a reliable car... Just Kidding.

It will blow your cam seals, and other crap out, I would check those cam seals since oil will leak on the t-belt. If your mainseal is leaking, thats no biggie. The engine not starting could be anything, is it just clicking? Or is it turning over and not lighting up?

Back to the oil part, did the oil smell like gas? If so it could be injectors or a tbi leak thats allowing the fuel to leak into the cylinders.

Did youlet the oil flow back into the pan before checking it (hey, it'll read funny with the oil falling backinto the pan, stranger things have happen)

It will blow your cam seals, and other crap out, I would check those cam seals since oil will leak on the t-belt. If your mainseal is leaking, thats no biggie. The engine not starting could be anything, is it just clicking? Or is it turning over and not lighting up?

Back to the oil part, did the oil smell like gas? If so it could be injectors or a tbi leak thats allowing the fuel to leak into the cylinders.

Did youlet the oil flow back into the pan before checking it (hey, it'll read funny with the oil falling backinto the pan, stranger things have happen)

It is just fast clicking. No start. He told me he tapped the ECU (?) under the passenger seat to see if he can get it to start. No luck so far.

They probably just knocked the oil pressure sender connection off when they changed the filter. If the wire touches ground, then the light lights up, right? I doubt driving it as far as you did with too much oil did anything, and I doubt the starting problem is related.

Ok he got it running. He said he dumped the oil out and refilled it himself adding some LUCAS oil additive to see if he could get the oil pressure up? He said the oil pressure seems to be fine but the Oil Pressure light keeps flickering. He is thinking it is the oil pressure sending unit. He then went on to say the Meineke database he has access to does not show where he would find the oil pressure sending unit on my 1988 Pathfinder. I then suggested he might want to reference the FACTORY SHOP MANUAL for the 1988 Pathfinder I left for him when I dropped the car off. UGH....

the sensor for the oil light is right beside the oil filter (towards the front of the truck). Why was he tapping on the computer? Normal mechanics instinct would tap on the starter for a clicking-start issue :scratchhead: No offence, but your mechanic confuses me

the sensor for the oil light is right beside the oil filter (towards the front of the truck). Why was he tapping on the computer? Normal mechanics instinct would tap on the starter for a clicking-start issue :scratchhead: No offence, but your mechanic confuses me

No offense taken! NPORA has been much more helpful then my "mechanic" time to find a new mechanic...I hope I can make this Pathfinder a reliable winter commuter, not looking promising so far.

you got time :lol:

WhiteOwl was abotu a phone call away from goeing for a last ride to the crusher before I got ahold of him, gotta sink a little bit of blood, sweat, tears, some hopes, a couple dreams, and a fiew junkyard parts into it first though :aok:

I have to agree with nunya, My pathfinder was in the condition the previous owner thought It was to the point of parting out, I bought it for under a grand spent a few days working on it and about 50 dollars worth of parts and it became a great rig. I think the biggest part of making a pathfinder work is working on it yourself and show it you care then it will love you and work for you.

• Like 1

You definitely need to find another mechanic. The first thing he should have done was put a manual oil pressure gauge on it to make sure it had good oil pressure before running it anymore. And if he can't find the oil pressure sending unit without a database he doesn't need to be a mechanic!

James

• Like 1

the oil filter is directly above the starter, so it's common for the starters to get oil soaked from oil changes, then they die.

the oil pressure sender for the dummy light is behind the filter (going toward the back of the block)

I'm going to guess there is a bad connection to the sender, as usually once those dummy lights come on, permanent damage has been caused.

find a new mechanic, sounds you have Kyle working on your truck!!

• Like 1

Putting Lucas oil stabilizer in the crank case is a good way to speed up the death of a VG.

UGHHHH! Is this true? DAMN IT.... Should I take it for another oil change when I pick it up? I wish I was more of a wrench mechanic instead of a "internet" mechanic. I look up stuff and try to figure out what they should be doing.

Unlike my wife she coughs, gets on the net and next thing she knows she has days to live.

Should I be VERY concerned about having this LUCAS Oil Stuff in the engine?

Thanks to all who have replied! I am going to stop off at the mechanics on my way to work to show the mechanic where the oil pressure sending unit is....

Putting Lucas oil stabilizer in the crank case is a good way to speed up the death of a VG.

gotta disagree and say it's like sea foam... hurts some-helps some-snake oil for some. I run Lucas in EVERYTHING I own (about the only brand loyalty I have). In my personal experience, it saved a motor that SHOULD have blown (and I'm still running on)

No it's not. I ran it for years without issue. I know of tons of people with all different types of motors that run it. There's no problem with it.

People like to point fingers as to why their junk fell apart. Whether it be a Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Honda etc, I guarantee you, if the motor died, it wasn't because of an oil additive.

gotta disagree and say it's like sea foam... hurts some-helps some-snake oil for some. I run Lucas in EVERYTHING I own (about the only brand loyalty I have). In my personal experience, it saved a motor that SHOULD have blown (and I'm still running on)

Nunya! THANK YOU! I am just going to leave it in for 3k and then just go back to regular dino oil. Speaking of oil any specific weight/brand I should consider? I tend to always use mobil1 oil filters in all of my cars and will probably do the same in the pathfinder. They seem to be the best of the readily available oil filters in my area.

Thanks again to everyone. I called the mechanic this morning and told him where he would find the oil pressure sensor in my car.

His comment "Boy you're good! I should hire you" uhh.... ok

Eh, personally I would avoid long-term use of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It's basically some thick gear oil, and just thickens your oil up a grade. It usually masks problems, not fixes them. If you do benefit from a thicker oil, use a thicker oil instead of using Lucas. And what a terrible name they picked. Stabilize definition: to make or hold stable, firm, or steadfast. I certainly don't want my oil to be "stable", I want it flowing.

OK the mechanic just called. They put my Pathfinder up on a lift and low and behold the wire to the oil pressure sending switch was disconnected and was barely touching it's connector. He plugged it back in and the car is ready to pick up...

Fingers crossed this is the end of this problem.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Andrew

There seems to be quite an issue with putting Lucas in VGs due to the bearing and oil pump tolerances. It's been known to cause some serious cavitation (exploding air bubbles that gouge the pump gears) in the oil pump and send bubbles of air through the engine.

I didn't say it isn't safe in most engines, I said VGs specifically. No other mass produced engine is built as tightly as one of these and that's where the problem arises. Jeeps, Chevys, Fords, etc are fine with it because they run babbitt bearings and aren't assembled to the same retarded specifications.

Edited by Kingman

Ok first long trip for the fresh out of the shop Pathfinder. 32 miles to work. (gotta pay for my $1300 repair bill) So far I am into the truck for $2300. I paid $1000. for it 170k, 5 speed, working A/C, 97% rust free Colorado Pathfinder that just moved to the New England area this winter. Thanks again to all who have helped!