New rear bumper

0415111241.jpg

Any comments are welcome. I think I need to widen it a little.

0322111652.jpg

The only build pic I have.

I used a peice of 10 gauge steel that was bent into a 4"x6"x4" channel. The shackle mounts are made out of 3/4" thick steel welded to a 1/4" plate that is 6"x6". Thats what the carage bolts hold. I got a reciver tube from nothern tool and made the plate for the safty chains. For the bumper mounts I used 2"x4"x1/4" box tube. Then it was just a bunch of cutting and welding.

Nice work! :aok:

You don't have to illuminate your license plate?

yes... actually he does in PA :whistle: (and a cop with a 'dude can give you issues about how the plates bent. Your actually supposed to be able to clearly read all characters/the state at the top/the expiration tag/and the website at the bottom. But I've ran tinted covers for years with almost 0 issues)

Build looks nice though, I like it. Simple yet effective. :aok:

I used a plate moun from an 80s GM full size car that had the fuel filler behind it. It's near the end of my 'members rides' thread (on my phone or I'd link it for you). I didn't lite what I did but I didn't mount my liscense plate to it (yet), just a vanity plate for now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A tree grabbed my bumper on a latenight wheeling trip. It ripped the metal where the vehicle mount is. I think it would be too big of a pain in the ass to fix. So----

oldbumper.jpg

I am going to make a new bumper using this.

newbumper.jpg

I was thinking something alot like this.

112122-lg.jpg

I will keep you guys posted.

Here is what I got done today.

bumper.jpg

It's 52 3/4" long by 8" tall. I have 3/8" thick plates being cut for the ends. Once they are done and welded on it will be 53" long and stop at the edge of the tail lights. As soon as I get the plates welded on I can do the corners. I designed the plates to bolt together but I think once I get it all made I might weld the 2 ends on.

Edited by jwmyers23

Yep, damn town cop said something. I had 2 state cops complement me on the bumper. I think im going to mount it on the spare tire rack (some how). Any ideas

LMAO!

The tube bumper looks like it will be sweet...

Here is what I got done today.

bumper.jpg

It's 52 3/4" long by 8" tall. I have 3/8" thick plates being cut for the ends. Once they are done and welded on it will be 53" long and stop at the edge of the tail lights. As soon as I get the plates welded on I can do the corners. I designed the plates to bolt together but I think once I get it all made I might weld the 2 ends on.

Looks good but I think the tubes are too far apart from each other. Are you accommodating a body lift?