A/C Compressor noise

adamzan

So my a/c compressor is making funny noises now. Have been told it sounds like the clutch and bearing are shot. What do you guys think? And its not the alternator or idler pulley, those are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62o-77HablA

Excuse the nasally voice but it is allergy season

That's the same noise mine was making, except it made the noise when the AC was off also. If the sounds bothers you, then take off the belt. If it doesn't then I'd suggest buying a new compressor. I am dealing with the same thing right now and from research I found out its harder to change the clutch over the whole compressor, and doing the whole thing will last you longer. I'm saving up for a new compressor now, it sucks :thumbsdown:

I would try recharging it with freon first.(You have to determine if you have R-12 or R-134 in the system)They are NOT compatable or intermixable. Sometimes the refridgerant will leak out over the winter. (which is why you want to occasionally turn it on in the winter). There is an oil in the system as well. If recharging doesn't help, than take it to a shop that can recharge it and put dye in the system, if there are any leaks it will show up under a black light or (uv) light.

If the refridgerant is gone, it's like free wheeling the system. (No gas to compress) and it will make quite a rackett!

I would try recharging it with freon first.(You have to determine if you have R-12 or R-134 in the system)They are NOT compatable or intermixable. Sometimes the refridgerant will leak out over the winter. (which is why you want to occasionally turn it on in the winter). There is an oil in the system as well. If recharging doesn't help, than take it to a shop that can recharge it and put dye in the system, if there are any leaks it will show up under a black light or (uv) light.

If the refridgerant is gone, it's like free wheeling the system. (No gas to compress) and it will make quite a rackett!

There should be a low pressure switch in the system, so when it gets below a certain pressure it opens the the circuit so the clutch will not engage.

Sounds to me like the compressor is about to kick the bucket.

Also when the A/C is on the clutch is locked up and the bearing does not turn.

134a can be put in righ ton top of 12, that was all smoke and mirrors when 134a became the norm to sell "retrofit" kits. All you need if you have a r12 system is the low side adapter fitting for r134a gauges. Also it wouldn't kick the compressor on if there wasn't enough freon in the system.

You got parts trucks, swap a compressor since your clutch is goeing (or turn the radio up and hope it dont lock up)

Yeah I have a spare compressor but I was hoping to not have to empty all that good r134a. Plus I don't have a place to properly dispose of it. I think I'm gonna go with the radio option for now but how long do you guys think it will last?

I checked the low side port pressure and its within the specs in the fsm so i assume its properly charged. It still gets cool (though it takes longer to get there) though. I guess 16 years and 358,000kms is pretty good for an oem one.

Edited by adamzan

I would try recharging it with freon first.(You have to determine if you have R-12 or R-134 in the system)They are NOT compatable or intermixable.

Oh yes they are, I've done it. When the conversion BS came out so did a product called freeze 12. It was a direct replacement for R12 without converting it. I was working in fleet repair and my boss loved this stuff because it was cheap. I put two cans in my old dodge shop truck to find out the expansion valve was bad. I took it to a local shop to evacuate it legally so I could change the valve. They connected it to a sniffer and told me it was 70% R12 and 30% 134 and wanted to charge me $75 to dispose of it. I went back to the shop and just cracked the line.

So this freeze 12 was just 134 in a can the size of an R12 can. Now as for what oil is compatable with 12 and 134 I'll just take their word for it.

James

Good info on the R134 vs 12 myth. I've always wondered about that. Especially since I smoked a compressor once after having it recharged with R134 on a car that was delivered from the factory with R12. Now the only problem is locating R 12 without having to buy it in bulk, so it's affordable. :FartExplode-vi:

I checked the temps at the vents and it is within spec according to the FSM. So the compressor part is working ok I guess just noisy same with the free wheeling bearing. I kinda wanna swap it out for my good compressor but don't wanna lose my charge.

The gasses are compatible but the oils may not be. You can also use either an R12 or an R134 compressor and it would not make a difference. I currently have an R134 system with an R134 drier and the R12 compressor. :lol:

I checked the temps at the vents and it is within spec according to the FSM. So the compressor part is working ok I guess just noisy same with the free wheeling bearing. I kinda wanna swap it out for my good compressor but don't wanna lose my charge.

Mine has been making noise (little different than yours) for several years now. At first I was worried about it but did not have the time and extra money to throw at it. Before I knew it, it was a year or two later and at that point was figured I'd just let it go, if it blows then I would worry about. That was a couple years ago, and other than being louder, it still works :aok:

A/C is one of the areas I specialize in aircraft maintenance. I would check/replace your oil first. Having a large 13+ lb system we have nifty lil sight glasses to view the level but I reckon it's not the same on automotive (I wouldn't even know either, only owned one rig with A/C and I removed the compressor.) You can evacuate the system, recycle the refrigerant, separate the oil and re-service the system. If that don't work I would replace the compressor or just remove it all together and enjoy the fresh air depending on your environment. A/C isn't really needed in the mild south-west WA climate! Best of luck.

A/C isn't really needed in the mild south-west WA climate!

Guessing that was in rdsponce to me?

Actually I'm not worried about the way it works. When I first got the truck the R12 level was low... but I did not really care. Then I ran across a conversion kit for next to nothing on a clearance shelf, so I gave it a shot. Had the balance evac'ed and "converted" and refiled myself.

Needed for SW WA? Nope not at all, but when I am sitting on the I5 corridor through the Sea/Tac area in the middle of the summer, waiting for someone, anyone, up ahead to start moving... it's nice to have :aok:

My friends here say we don't need it but after a long day of work outside it sure is nice to be sitting in a cold dry truck vs a hot humid one.

just an FYI. While they might work together the R-134a molecule is smaller than that of R-12. This makes a lot of converted systems leak because the the hoses are not made for R-134a.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that didn't take long, I'm pretty sure the compressor @!*% the bed today. It makes a loud groaning noise and really labors the truck when it turns on. I got out and looked at it and it smelled like burning...something!