Horsepowa

iPath

I was having a discussion with my friend about the pathfinder's power. He was saying how there was no way the 3.5 made 240 when his 4.3 s10 was rated at 190. He said there was no way that was rhwp (which obviously it isn't) and I went on to tell him all manufacturers rate horsepower from the engine, not wheels. He said I was wrong and that my engine was overrated, nothing I said would make him think otherwise. I'm correct in thinking that car manufacturers generally rate from the crank, right?

Usually at the crank, they can advertise higher numbers then and still not be lying. Drivetrain absorbs alot of power though and it dont mean squat if you ain't got good gearing, shift points, etc

Your arguing with a chevy driver, tell him his 4.3 doesnt have the balls too keep up with a 4.2 ford let alone a little 'san engine. Yep its at the crank, has been since the 70s, it used be SAE or net horse power.

People get all wound up about Horespower when in fact, especially in trucks, it is all about torque. Even then, people get all wound up about the peak torque. What is really important is the torque over the useable RPM range. No doubt, the 3.5 has a higher peak HP and I think even higher peak Torque. But don't discount the 4.3 all together. I bet a pathy would beat it in a race. But it might be a different story towing. The chevy owner in this case needs to get some education though, as the pathy would likely surprise him!! - I have a 4.3 and a 3.5, I know!

I stop light drag raced my buddy in his 4.2 with my old Pathy once. Smoked him! His rig had a messed up throttle position sensor though. Regardless I attribute the win to both my driving skills and pure Nissan Muscle!