HELP with Heat and Light Solution

MY1PATH

So last month we had a power meter installed and after a trial period we are going to be receiving electric bills... Well, we'll get billed if were go above a pre-set average...

Last month I used over 3,000 KWH and the average for this region is 900 a month and I have no idea what our housing average is going to be set to.

I believe most of that power consumption came from my beat up 900w/1300w heater in my "garage" Its actually a large closet at the end of my car port where I do all my projects.

I looked at other heaters and found a 300w heater that is well suited to small spaces http://www.sears.com...ku=03298711000P But I am concerned about running a grinder or welder next to that and I really do not have allot of space... And a working thermostat would be nice so it only runs when its needed.

Moving on my second problem is light. In the ceiling pointing straight into the back of my welding helmet is the only light in there. This makes allot of glare when I am trying to see what I am welding. Re-mounting the light is not allowed but truing it off and using a bright positionable light might work.

I don't have allot of money to spend and I don't want to pay more when it comes to billing. so I figured I could combine solutions? I doesn't necessarily need to stay warm in there as long as I can be warm when working so I figured instant heat from light Might work...

how warm would I feel with a 700 watt Halogen light shining on me and my parts? or maybe a Cheaper 500w?

8258976_9359574_200.jpg4119004_2465824_200.jpg

If this works I would save energy costs greatly because It would only be on when I'm in there. If its plenty warm I could even put lower watt bulbs in it for more saving...

Anybody have experience with how much warmth from light these lamps give off?

Other ideas?

Edited by MY1PATH

A 1300W heater running 24/7 will use under 1000 kWh per month (1.3*24*30=936).

I have one of those 500W work lights and it is fairly bright... almost all the power in incandescent lighting is given off in heat though, so it will produce basically the same amount of heat as a 500W heater. If you switch your 1300W heater to a 500W light (used for heat and light) then it will be colder in there, but maybe that is ok.

Not sure if this is helpful. I think its kinda hard to tell exactly how much heat and light you need for your setup without being there. I find the work light is quite handy to be able to move around and set up wherever, so maybe you could buy one (should be pretty cheap?) and even if you don't end up using it as your main light it could come in handy.

hardbody; That led light is nice. Not sure if it matches the intensity of a 500w halogen (intense light is good for welding) and it doesn't give off any heat.

sewb; thanks for the feedback on the light. Glad to know it wastes allot of heat energy. your math is good but even 900 less KWH a month would put me at about 2,100 instead of 3,000. The other half is probably the IceMachine, or the rust heat exchanger out back that they won't replace.

The closet is MAYBE 9'x9' and about 1/3 of that is taken by shelves so my actual layout and work space is about 6x7.5

Edited by MY1PATH

I got a 1000 watt worklight (2 500w lamps) stand from Home Depot this Christmas. Very nice setup, and they put out a good amount of heat, especially when they are aimed at or near you.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202066789/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

They are cheap, but I'm pretty impressed with the quality so far. Built better than the ones I saw for sale at Lowe's

yeah its 50/50 with lowes/home depot.

Depending on what I'm buing I'll look it up and see who has the better brand.

Def home depot for the Millwaulke hole saws and Irwin step drills.

Hmm maybe I will replace my overhead with a heat lamp.

I just bought a cheap 500w work light. It puts off some heat and enough light to light the whole room even if its pointed at the wall.

Still lots of glare, the damn walls are white. Looks like I need to make a glare hood for my welder.

The 500w pointed right at my welding table lets me see everthing thru my dark lense (when I cover the black from glare) so Its certainly gonna be usefull for welding.

But this one is cheezy and poor so I'm going to go back and get a better one and a heat lamp bulb. That seems to be the way to go right now...

I'd avoid using the lights for heat, they will be too bright and make you uncomfortable. I recommend propane heaters. They are cheap to run, very effective, portable and you can monitor your fuel use up front, no surprise charges. Here are two that I have...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=93178739&PMPXNO=24570766&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

This one is for my 2 car garage and is enough to keep things reasonable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QUZGS8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005LEXI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KS9SPACZA4R7C5V8C5W

Mine is like this, not sure if it is the same brand (at the other house) but I love it. Plastic body and not truly rugged, but works great as a personal heater in small areas and sips fuel. Use it at home, camping, where ever...

B

I do not have adequate ventalation for propane. 6ft x7.5ft But hell if its good enough maybe I can throw the doors open and it will still keep me warm.

I do most my work with a tinted lense so BRIGHT will not be uncomforatble. I keep a shade 2 (like sunglasses) on at all times and cover it with a shade 9 when welding.

Edited by MY1PATH

Well, if you read the links...

4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 200 square feet

Clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient; heavy-duty wire guard

Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels

Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included)

Measures 9 by 14-1/5 by 14-2/5 inches; 1-year limited warranty

The second one is designed to be used in small enclosed spaces. I've even used mine in a tent... ;)

B

yeah I saw that, I guess I'm just leery of using flame based heaters in small areas. Technology has come a long way tho, so I may consider it thanks.

So last month we had a power meter installed and after a trial period we are going to be receiving electric bills... Well, we'll get billed if were go above a pre-set average...

Last month I used over 3,000 KWH and the average for this region is 900 a month and I have no idea what our housing average is going to be set to.

I believe most of that power consumption came from my beat up 900w/1300w heater in my "garage" Its actually a large closet at the end of my car port where I do all my projects.

I looked at other heaters and found a 300w heater that is well suited to small spaces http://www.sears.com...ku=03298711000P But I am concerned about running a grinder or welder next to that and I really do not have allot of space... And a working thermostat would be nice so it only runs when its needed.

Moving on my second problem is light. In the ceiling pointing straight into the back of my welding helmet is the only light in there. This makes allot of glare when I am trying to see what I am welding. Re-mounting the light is not allowed but truing it off and using a bright positionable light might work.

I don't have allot of money to spend and I don't want to pay more when it comes to billing. so I figured I could combine solutions? I doesn't necessarily need to stay warm in there as long as I can be warm when working so I figured instant heat from light Might work...

how warm would I feel with a 700 watt Halogen light shining on me and my parts? or maybe a Cheaper 500w?

8258976_9359574_200.jpg4119004_2465824_200.jpg

If this works I would save energy costs greatly because It would only be on when I'm in there. If its plenty warm I could even put lower watt bulbs in it for more saving...

Anybody have experience with how much warmth from light these lamps give off?

Other ideas?

You might want to take a look at one of these (below) I picked one up from Lee Valley for 60$...heats the tools up!!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?c=&cat=1,43456,43465,44590&p=44590

Quartz Overhead Radiant Heater

Convection heaters rely on heating the ambient air to transfer heat energy. Radiant heaters do not. They emit infrared waves that, like the sun, warm objects directly (people, workstations or tools), without drying the air, or circulating dust and other particles in the workshop.

For hard-to-heat workshops and garages, this ceiling-mount heater is particularly convenient. The quartz elements have two settings – 760W and 1475W, producing 2590 and 5030 BTU/hour respectively. The housing rotates and swivels to let you aim the heat where needed and a pull cord keeps the controls conveniently within reach.

Lightweight (about 5-1/2 lb) and easy to install, the heater has a built-in 25W halogen lamp, which can be used alone or with the heating elements (standard G9 halogen bulb included). Silent, clean and efficient, it operates on the high setting for a maximum of 15¢ an hour (based on 10¢ per kWh).

For indoor use only. 24" wide by 3" deep by 11-1/2" high. Metal cabinet with steel and ABS mounting bracket. One-year warranty. 12.3 amps, 120V. UL/CUL approved.

Now that is nice! Ol blue. I actually looked at a radiant heater for next winter.

I wound up getting this lamp

http://www.lowes.com/pd_320778-337-PQS45UT_0__?productId=3182629&Ntt=work+light&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dwork%2Blight

and it puts down some heat and light but its constuction and assembly leaves much to be desired. and it has not off switch just a plug. I looked at craftsman and its exactly the same thing (maybe assembled better) but it has a 2 stage dimmer in the balast to change its bright ness. In the end I'm going back to get this one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326183-2121-KBL750WHL_0__?productId=3323060&Ntt=work+light&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26Ntt%3Dwork%2Blight

the display model is the most rugged of the ones I seen in several stores it has the widest range of pivoting motion (the others could only angle up not down) Power switches, brightness options and it has an outlet right on its face (Will get used allot) Seems like the most functional option for me. It will make an awesome welding aide outdoor work aide as well.

If thats not warm enough next winter than a radiant heater will replace old beat up fan heater I have.

Now that is nice! Ol blue. I actually looked at a radiant heater for next winter.

I wound up getting this lamp

http://www.lowes.com/pd_320778-337-PQS45UT_0__?productId=3182629&Ntt=work+light&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dwork%2Blight

and it puts down some heat and light but its constuction and assembly leaves much to be desired. and it has not off switch just a plug. I looked at craftsman and its exactly the same thing (maybe assembled better) but it has a 2 stage dimmer in the balast to change its bright ness. In the end I'm going back to get this one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326183-2121-KBL750WHL_0__?productId=3323060&Ntt=work+light&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0%26Ntt%3Dwork%2Blight

the display model is the most rugged of the ones I seen in several stores it has the widest range of pivoting motion (the others could only angle up not down) Power switches, brightness options and it has an outlet right on its face (Will get used allot) Seems like the most functional option for me. It will make an awesome welding aide outdoor work aide as well.

If thats not warm enough next winter than a radiant heater will replace old beat up fan heater I have.

I hope that works out for you if not those radiant lamps have been around for years and are probably getting more and more efficient. I have one over my work bench and keep one mobile for thawing thngs out.

It sounds like you do a fair bit of welding...do you think that might be also be related to the spikes in your hydro bills?

Hydro Bills? you mean electric? No. I use a ready welder, it runs off of batteries (Preferably deep cycle) and I top the batteries off with my truck(if needed) when I warm up my engine in the morning. You get allot of welding out of two 12v batteries.

I can see maybe another 3-400KW from misc lights and my computer 500w power supply (but I think it only draws that much when its working hard)

Witch leaves another 600kw witch might be my rusty heat pump out back. Maybe after they Check my power consumption they will replace it.

Hydro Bills? you mean electric? No. I use a ready welder, it runs off of batteries (Preferably deep cycle) and I top the batteries off with my truck(if needed) when I warm up my engine in the morning. You get allot of welding out of two 12v batteries.

I can see maybe another 3-400KW from misc lights and my computer 500w power supply (but I think it only draws that much when its working hard)

Witch leaves another 600kw witch might be my rusty heat pump out back. Maybe after they Check my power consumption they will replace it.

so here's the space I work in BTW. It's 8.5'x8.5' including shelves. Total Floor space is 5.5'x7' Working on the postrunner one end is always on a shelf.

th_FABCave.jpg

and that little heater in the front took a crap today. The fan died and the coils got red and loose untill they fell into eachother and shorted even more...

I unplugged the smoking heap and hit it with a hose untill it was cool enough not to light my trash can. Good thing Its summer soon.