Rear Body Lift Bolts for a 90-95 (M12x1.25x180) grade 10.9

Dowser

So a couple of weekends ago, I went to a local hardware supplier that handles a large selection of various hardware. They carry everything for the farming, and trucking industry so I thought I may get lucky. No such luck, BUT, they said they could get me these bolts and have them for me in no time. So I asked if they could order me up 4. While I was at it I also got her to get me some UCA spindle bolts that were 10.9 grade and 60mm long and order 4 of those. So it was just the 8 bolts I was looking to get.

A few days later I get a call telling me they are in. I head down to the store, she hands me the hardware, I'm very pleased so I toss my mastercard on the table while I inspect them further. I didn't even ask how much they were because its 8 bolts. Just 8 pieces of hardware. Nothing that would indicate that I was about to be raped. She swipes the card and hands me the receipt to be signed. I grab a pen and just as it hits the paper I see the price.

$105.87 :omg::ill:

I'm stunned. I think that there has to be some sort of mistake. Nope. They cost just over 18 dollars each. The UCA spindle bolts were just over 5 dollars each.

I immediately back pedal and say there's NO WAY I'm paying that. She returns the cash to the credit card and I leave the store shaking my head thinking did I just *my "vocabulary" is so small* myself buying the early model Body Lift for $114 thinking I could source those myself for cheaper then the difference that AC sells their 93-95 kit?

So here I am. Asking what you guys think.

Can any of you find these bolts for fairly cheap? If we can, we should post it up here for others to utilize.

Edited by Dowser

This has been beat up a bit before and yes, the bolts are hard to find and expensive...

Maryland Metric IIFC and I can try to source my local 'reliable hardware and steel' who has always impressed me.

Exactly what size/pitch/length bolts are we talking aboot?? M10 doesn't sound right...

B

The size, not source thread...

Here is some info on the captive bolts (rear most two) for a 95 (Should apply to 90-95 4 door. M12x1.25 BTW. 150mm should work for the 2" lift, but 180mm will work for for both)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5325&st=0

Edited by Precise1

Precise.

Ya I've read that thread thoroughly and I was aware that they were hard to find and fairly expensive, but when I think "expensive" in Bolt terms I think $8-10 dollars for a single bolt, not $18 bucks. I was also kind of under the impression that there was a typo on your part, :shiftyeyes: because even though you mention M12x1.25x180 for the rears, a little farther down, (page 2 Post #29 and #31) OSR mentions that his rear bolts are the same width as all the others and that he couldn't get the Black ones that are M12 to screw in. Which got me thinking again that perhaps it was just for models 93-95 that had M12 size rear most bolts. But I was having difficulties believing that they just changed the rear most bolts for 93-95 even after running M10 in the rears of the 4 doors from 90-92. I figured perhaps there was some sort of typo based on the information I could find. :shrug:

I hate to bring this topic up obviously because I know its been talked about extensively and I know that not only because I've been around a long time, but also because I know how to use the :search: function a lot and have read PLENTY on the topic. That Body lift thread you posted is one of only a couple that I could find that gave the bolt dimensions, with others answering the size based on IIRC knowledge and refering to that Body lift thread for bolt dimensions. But from that thread it sounded like others were having differing issues with the bolt widths. So perhaps you can see what where I'm coming from.

So just to put this issue to rest and so I can have the correct title name, The rear most bolt size is supposed to be M12x1.25x180mm from 90-95 or 93-95, and everything else should be M10 in width? And finally, I was unable to track down a thread concerning suppliers for those rear most bolts. My apologies if it was covered and I was unable to locate it. Feel free to post the link up if you locate it.

Adamzan,

It would be nice to see the cost variance for sure. If for nothing else then to see if I was getting screwed. If its a much nicer price and I can't locate something better perhaps we order a set and you can send it with the idler arm when that goes out.

I'd still like to see what other out there can come up with and at least make this a thorough enough thread to not only give a final answer to the topic, but to give resources to those wishing to use the search to find a source of purchase.

Edited by Dowser

So just to put this issue to rest and so I can have the correct title name, The rear most bolt size is supposed to be M12x1.25x180mm from 90-95 or 93-95, and everything else should be M10 in width?

Why not go out and remove the bolt that is in the rear body mount on your truck and see what you have?

Precise.

Ya I've read that thread thoroughly and I was aware that they were hard to find and fairly expensive, but when I think "expensive" in Bolt terms I think $8-10 dollars for a single bolt, not $18 bucks. I was also kind of under the impression that there was a typo on your part, :shiftyeyes: because even though you mention M12x1.25x180 for the rears, a little farther down, (page 2 Post #29 and #31) OSR mentions that his rear bolts are the same width as all the others and that he couldn't get the Black ones that are M12 to screw in. Which got me thinking again that perhaps it was just for models 93-95 that had M12 size rear most bolts. But I was having difficulties believing that they just changed the rear most bolts for 93-95 even after running M10 in the rears of the 4 doors from 90-92. I figured perhaps there was some sort of typo based on the information I could find. :shrug:

IIRC, what I've read is (:D) the rear bolts were upgraded in 1990 (North America) when the 4 door was sold and the reason was to better support the rear which was heavier (and maybe weak with a tire carrier). I'm not sure what OSR ran into, I barely remember it (no time to look now) and I installed 1/2-13 bolts myself because I had to cut the rear open and remove the welded nuts on mine. One thing I have to follow is that I wrote down the bolt diameter/pitch/length and as a machinist, I would have verified the thread before posting it. No problem questioning it and it better be right, because I'm supporting it. :D

:unsure:

B

1 website....mcmaster-carr (www.mcmaster.com)well they had them a month ago and now they dont so i wasnt of any help...I just cut out the old capture nut and used a 10.9 from lowes with a fender washer :shrug:

u only need either 2 new bolts or 2 new nuts depending on what route you go...

The best part is SteevO is working to get a kit together that comes with the rear bolts :aok:

95 3" BL:

DSCN6261.jpg

PM and i'll give you some insight on getting that rear bumper relocated (basically remove 6 bolts, cut the stud plate in half and reinstall 2 bolts on each side and everything is happy

182898_784329335927_36619102_41479708_3632884_n.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

FYI - The torsion bar anchor bolts are M12x1.25x175mm 10.9 grade. You could snatch some from a JY. They should be the same for just about any Nissan truck. I took my measurements from a 4x4 Hardbody. Courtesy Parts has them listed for under $8 or you could go to your local Nissan parts counter and ask nicely for the wholesale pricing discount.

IIRC, what I've read is (:D) the rear bolts were upgraded in 1990 (North America) when the 4 door was sold and the reason was to better support the rear which was heavier (and maybe weak with a tire carrier). I'm not sure what OSR ran into, I barely remember it (no time to look now) and I installed 1/2-13 bolts myself because I had to cut the rear open and remove the welded nuts on mine. One thing I have to follow is that I wrote down the bolt diameter/pitch/length and as a machinist, I would have verified the thread before posting it. No problem questioning it and it better be right, because I'm supporting it. :D

:unsure:

Well that makes sense to me. I think what threw me off that original reasoning was the 2 posts that I mentioned and no one commented on it afterward. Perhaps I'm suffering from a case of "Keep it simple stupid" syndrome. And for the record, It wasn't that I was doubting your ability to measure the bolts properly because I'm certain that you would be unemployed if you preformed that incorrectly. I was doubting your ability to type in the correct size on the computer after you made such "Precise" measurements. <--- See what I did there? That was just for you. :new576:

Alright then. So I can chalk this up to being another thread stating that the rear most bolt is a M12x1.25x180mm. Pfffft. Like who doesn't know that by now? :shiftyeyes::whistle:

Why not go out and remove the bolt that is in the rear body mount on your truck and see what you have?

Well that is a very good suggestion. And definitely where I should have started before questioning the bolt size. But I lacked the basic common sense to think of that at the time. I would go out here right now and check if I didn't already know the Bolt Size was M12x1.25x180mm. :rolleyes:

FYI - The torsion bar anchor bolts are M12x1.25x175mm 10.9 grade. You could snatch some from a JY. They should be the same for just about any Nissan truck. I took my measurements from a 4x4 Hardbody. Courtesy Parts has them listed for under $8 or you could go to your local Nissan parts counter and ask nicely for the wholesale pricing discount.

That is Bloody Brilliant. If this has been mentioned before then I've never seen it. That's a pretty sweet find and exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see for this thread. Nice work. :aok:

Edited by Dowser

• 4 weeks later...

That is Bloody Brilliant. If this has been mentioned before then I've never seen it. That's a pretty sweet find and exactly the sort of thing I'd like to see for this thread. Nice work. :aok:

I went to the Nissan parts counter today and picked up a pair of torsion bar adjusting bolts for $6.50/each. I think you could use them for any height body lift from 1-3". There is enough thread to cut them down to size. Now I can finally go install my $100 body lift.

Dowser, try Spaenaur, Brafasco or Fastenal They are the bigger hardware supply companies I can think of. They will definitely have what you're looking for, but at what price, i don't know...

Thanks Nige.

I had checked with only Fastenal since there is one here, and got the same quote that Fleury posted. $13.00 each. I'm going to look into the others and Post up their Quotes.

I'm going to contact a Nissan parts guy also and see what they charge here in Canada. No doubt there's some sort of ridiculous markup because they come from the states or some nonsense.

We'll see. Thanks for the additions all.

That works for me too! Nice! I'll still check on the pricing from Canadian Dealers for those of us out there that require it. Thanks again!