R50 Steering Stabilizer

shift220

It's something I've been working on for quite a while and went through quite a few "prototype" mountings before I did this one. The bracket is very rough (and already rusty after one day road testing) but it gives you the idea. I also wanted to make it an easy install (I would say roughly 15-20 min from stock).

The result:

PFSS.jpg

So far the results are great! No more bouncy steering wheel over bumps. I tried it on some very rough alleyways (snow, ice and ruts) and I had way less feedback then before. This should take a lot of the load off the rack and other components as well.

You can also see my steering rack "brace" tucked behind the power steering line bracket. It basically clamps around the rack and holds it in place (no more worries about bushings).

I'm still going to run it for a while (and beat on it offroad) to see if any issues arise. So far it doesn't make contact with anything. I was also worried that it would cause feedback due to it mounting to the tierod but I didn't notice anything under normal driving.

Edited by shift220

Nice work. One thing though, is there a chance it could hit the sway bar if the suspension really compresses or are my eyes just messed?

Xplorx4 beat me too it oops.

Edited by adamzan

The picture is a bad angle to show the clearance but there's about 1.5" above and below the shock. It doesn't make contact under normal driving. I haven't tested it under "extreme" conditions but I will soon.

Yes, with the larger tires, the feedback was very annoying.

This was more of a sneak peak more then anything. I still have a bit of work to do on it.

I could definitly benefit from something like this with my 34's, so is this a kit you are going to be selling? How much would it cost and is it bolt on or welding required? Also would you supply the modified tie-rods in the kit and could you make them out of thicker material than the stock ones? I have a problem with going through tie rods when I rock climb..... so the thicker the better. How would this affect the adjustability of the tie-rods for alignment? Is it a stabilizer of one side or both. I figure that you would just have to put it on one side and it would help the whole rack?

Edited by muddfildvaynes

From the pic he first posted it looks to me that the stock tie rod is still being used. Looks like there is a c clamp or ubolt type of clamp used to attach the stabilizer to the tie rod. It also looks as if all the kit is bolted to places that are already existing on the subframe. And yes the bump steer would def be something that I would not miss, and im starting my job training today so ill finally start having some income so id be on the list to get one if he makes them :bounce:

Wow. just saw this. So any new test results?

Jose

Still driving around on it. I'm trying to put it through it's paces and see if anything comes up.

I could definitly benefit from something like this with my 34's, so is this a kit you are going to be selling? How much would it cost and is it bolt on or welding required? Also would you supply the modified tie-rods in the kit and could you make them out of thicker material than the stock ones? I have a problem with going through tie rods when I rock climb..... so the thicker the better. How would this affect the adjustability of the tie-rods for alignment? Is it a stabilizer of one side or both. I figure that you would just have to put it on one side and it would help the whole rack?

Are you bending rods or killing the actual joint? Something could be done with the rod to beef it up if needed...

Have anymore pics and different angles to see how exactly it goes together? How does it mount to the tie-rod is it welded or clamped? Would you be able to make some thicker tie-rods and how much would something like that run?

The bracket I used for the stabilizer currently bolts (u-bolts) onto the rod. If I feel the mounting is solid enough then I will consider selling kits. Yup, the installation is very easy and nothing needs to be modified. The only issue I have now is that the tierod moves around (rotates) because of the play in the tierod end on the knuckle. I won't go into to much detail but if you grab into your tierod and try to twist it, you'll see what I mean.

The bracket I used for the stabilizer currently bolts (u-bolts) onto the rod. If I feel the mounting is solid enough then I will consider selling kits. Yup, the installation is very easy and nothing needs to be modified. The only issue I have now is that the tierod moves around (rotates) because of the play in the tierod end on the knuckle. I won't go into to much detail but if you grab into your tierod and try to twist it, you'll see what I mean.

I know what you mean. I just adjusted mine, and they twist. I can see how this would be a problem with keeping the stabilizer in straight alignment all the time. I wonder how you would remedy such a thing?

Jose

• 3 weeks later...

thicker rods would be nice anyone consider sleeving them ? I might try to sleeve mine but is bending one better than breaking the rack or how it mounts? I will always carry a spare now.

This is what I had in mind for my truck... right now I have moog on it and they are solid. but we'll see if they break...

DSC09833.JPG

The stabilizer is still going strong as far as I can tell. Still haven't been able to play with it offroad between life and the cold weather. I would be more keen on making this a kit if it didn't move the tie-rod around like it does. Ideally it would mount to the rack where the inner tie-rod screws in but then it's in the way of the boot and you lose some threads in the rack.

Maybe I'll try mounting the one end directly on the knuckle and the other on my "custom" bracket. Keep in mind, I would like this to be an easy install to sell as a kit.

As for the tie-rods themselves, the rack would probably be pretty tough to damage. But you do bring up a good point as tie-rods being the weakest link on purpose. I wouldn't hesitate to sleeve a set of tie-rods if mine ever go.

What about mounting to the top of the outer tierod, fab a custom outer tierod with the bolt on top that it would need? Or would that be too far of a reach for stabilizer and rubbing issues between the tierod and the stabilizer while turning? Also from looking at your intial pic it looks like you had to cut some metal out for it to fit in there.... could you take some more pics? I am trying to imagine what all it would incompass to put one of these on.... If it comes to it couldn't you make some inner tierods with a bolt in the location that the stabilizer is clamoped to? Just some ideas