How to remove radio antenna

I'm replacing my front fenders, and I need to get the radio antenna disconnected. I don't have the power antenna just the standard one, but I can't seem to find any kind of plug to unplug the wiring from the mast? Is there some sort of plug or junction box in the wiring in between the antenna and the stereo? I would think there would be something to avoid fishing the whole long cable out....

In my 88 hardbody, there was a connection but it is in the dash behind the glove compartment. So to truly unplug it, you have to pull the wiring out from under the dash, then through the body out by the fender. You have to pull the fender off to actually access the place where the wiring goes into the cab. Was a huge pain when I did it to replace the fenders on the hardbody. I ended up cutting the wire and installing a new antenna that I bought at the store that just sits zip-tied under the dash. I put the antenna back on the fender after repainting the truck, but it is more for decoration to cover up the hole. The antenna under the dash gets excellent reception.

Last one I pulled I had the same experience as Northernpathy (was also on a HB but a 93). I also did it the same basic way only I had my new connected antenna along the outside of the right framerail. The fiew stations I actually listen to have strong signals so I didn't really have an issue either.

I started pulling a power antenna from a 97 PF Saturday at the junkyard, I took the inner fender out and the bottom of the antenna had one bolt and the antenna cable does go into the cab, the one I saw had a rubber grommet, I removed the grommet and pulled on the cable but it didn't move at all so I have to agree that the cable needs to be unplugged from inside first. In my 87 Hardbody I don't recall having to remove the fender to remove the antenna.

Another problem you will have is getting the wire with the plug on the end out of the cab. The hole and grommet sit way up near the top of the dash. Even after pulling out the heater blower it was very hard to reach that area. At that point (an hour of trying to pull it out safely) I just said to hell with it, cut the cable and installed the new antenna under the dash. Replacing the antenna is really not something Nissan planned out.

RustyButt????

rofl

i was wondering this same thing, but figured that it had to be disconnected at the stereo too..

Hey now! Lol yeah I'm going to have to change the name cause all the rust in the car is starting to go away. Well I found that taking the glovebox out and removing the plate behind it allowed access to all the wiring. I found a plug for the antenna, and used the sneaky old indian trick of taping a piece of wire to the antenna wire that I pulled out to make putting routing it back in a breeze.