I don't wanna junk it but.....

Lisa

I am not a mechanic and I only have a slight clue about what I need now. I am posting for my son and husband who will need to to the work if possible.I have a 1994 pathfinder. We bought it in 2006 for $2000. for my 17 yr old daughter. It ran fine everytime she got in it. The front end needs some boot or joint replaced but my husband has never gotten around to it. The only issue she had was the car kept locking her out(and helped further her career as a car thief JK). She also couldnt take it on the highway due to the "death rattle" (Darn) Fast forward 4 years. My 18 yr old son is now the owner. THe car has fallen apart. It has no outside door handles, the moonroof isnt hooked on due to lock out issues. We replaced the altenator and a bunch of belts. Now it is overheating everytime it runs, water is running out of the bottom, the water pump might be bad, needs a thermostat, and some hose on the underneath needs to be replaced but no one knows how to get to it. UGHHH! I like the car and feel that it is a great car for my kids to drive around in since it is a tank. But is it getting to the point of no return? My hubby wants to junk it and not spend any more money on it because he feels the transmission is the next to go. The pathfinder has 257,678 miles on it.

Wow! YOu are not shy about stating your issues in your first post! First of all, welcome the the board. There is a lot of information here on how to keep your Pathfinder going strong, even after 300,000 miles. Besides what it needs, how well was the vehicle maintained when it was being used on a regular basis? If it was just trashed and not taken car of, like any vehicle, it may continue to "nickle and dime" you for years to come. Pathfinders have been known to "take a lickin', and keep on tickin'", so to say. Im going to post some links that should help you with your problems. Also, you may want to start a Welcome thread in the New People Start Here thread. Post up some pictures so we can see what shape your rig is in. OK, here we go....

Keyless entry issues...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19755

Front end/suspension issues...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28544

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=255

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28120

Water pump/Timing belt.....

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12828

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23280

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26483

Door handles...well, they are pretty self explanitory for anyone. Remove the door panel, roll the window up, unbolt the handle and replace. Reassemble in reverse. Yes its work and may cost a few dollars, but there is always the Junk yards, Craigslist or even the for sale section here. Hope this helps and if you have more questions, ask away!

Oh, you may wanna consider flushing the transmission and adding a external transmission fluid cooler. Our auto transmissions do no like heat! The factory cooler is just not enough!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I had the same problem with a door handle, its easy to fix and prevent it happening again. As the dude above said its not hard at all to replace door handles, I've done it and I dont do stuff like that, I usally just leave a window open.

As you said your self, it has 257,678 miles on it. Its an old truck but it should run good for years too come. The water leaking is most likly the retarded hose that is on the intake, you cant remove it with out pulling the front end off, but at 257k the timing belt is in dire need of replacment along with the water pump.

But it also has at least 2 teen drivers and is beaten pretty baldy, I'm not one too point fingures but most of the time girls are harder on stuff them boys. As far as over heating, I wouldnt be too worried about that, I've ran one with the same engine without any coolant(or very little) and it never caused any problems with the head gaskets or bearings.

I'd also like to mention that regardless if you've done some repairs over the last 4 years, you only paid $2000.00 for a quality vehicle that is as you stated, built like a tank. Real world prices for a comparable alternative is going to likely cost at least that much, plus safeties and additional repairs if they are needed. These vehicles are reliable and tough if they are taken care of,(key words) and there have been many who have gotten over 500000 miles on the engine. Most of your worries are cheap fixes with the exception of the timing belt, which is only expensive if you have someone else do the work since it is labor intensive. But with the tutorials and posts on this forum anyone could do it, not to mention the community of here with vast amounts of knowledge in all things Pathfinder Related.

Even if the tranny does go as you husband suspects will be the next issue, that too can be replaced at a reasonable amount. The best thing about owning a older vehicle is that a lot of stuff can be repaired right were it stands and isn't obligated to be go to the dealership to be plugged into a computer. I had little to no experience with anything mechanical when I bought my First Pathfinder, a 91, but thru these forums I managed to do all the repairs to it that were necessary on my own.

Go to the wrecking yard with some basic tools, take some door handles, find the door locking mechanism from the link provided above and follow the direction to solder the board. Buy the parts for a timing belt, thermostat, and whatever else it is you may need do to the rad leak after you are sure what it is and get your husband and kids to take it apart. Get both your kids to help so they get a basic understanding of how a vehicle operates cause later in life they may know enough to not get taken advantage of by garages with false quotes. Front end shimmy at speed may be the Lower Control Arm Tension/compression Rod Bushings that attach to the frame. The cups that they sit in are known to rust or break off.

And finally, Download the Factory SERVICE manual from this site. It is KEY to understanding everything and simple to follow if you know how to read. Keep it alive. It just needs a bit of love. If you are uncertain about the Rad leak and what it is or where it is coming from, give us more details on here and we may be able to help diagnose the problem area more effectively and its free.

Good luck. Keep us posted, and You really should give us a proper introduction. Let us get to know, and you us a little bit in the future. This community is the best out there for anything concerning Pathfinders and some of the nicest people I have ever met. I've received parts from all over this continent and even as far as New Zealand in an effort to aid with some of my repairs over the years.

Yeah, you have to do maintenance or it will fall to pieces. Obviously your daughter (typical woman :hide: ) didn't keep up on minor repairs and now you are stuck with bigger issues. As Dowser said, you have probably less than $3000 into it now, put another $2000 into it and it could go another 250-300 thousand. Or scrap it for $50 and go get a loan on another car that will need maintenance also. :togo:

you've owned it for 4 years already, you know what you have. scrap it or trade it in on another used suv a couple years neweer with a couple less miles on the clock... what are you getting? Someone elses POS that they didnt want to do the laundry list of maintnance on and a detail shop at a dealewrship made look purty for a week.

The basics were already covered and linked for you so I ain't gonna bother repeating them... but show us some pics so we can see what kinda shape truck your workin with here and dont be shy about making a new member thread. We can help de-teen it round here :aok:

:welcome:

Welcome Lisa!! Take a moment to consider what everyone has said, they are all valid points. The nice guy who coppied all the repair links for you is a dealership mechanic so you can count on what he has posted.

Yes, your truck needs work and someone has to do it, but it doesn't have to bankrupt you either. Tell your son to get on here and learn how to work on his vehicle, he'll be glad for what he learn all his life. If he doesn't seem excited about it, have him go through the Member's Rides section to see what people have done with trucks like his. If he still isn't willing to work on it, smack him in the back of the head and tell him to enjoy walking... :tongue:

B

Lisa, it sounds to me that you're the only person you know that's interested in fixing the truck. It sounds like over the last four years your Pathy has been rode hard and put away wet.

I hope your desire to keep your truck is strong enough to take these gentleman's advice, but if your family's resistance proves too much, please don't junk your truck. You won't make much by scrapping it. Better that you sell it cheap to someone who is willing to put in the time to bring it back.

I just recently put a ton of work and money into restoring a 1991.... I learned a lot doing it... but I kinda wonder if I should have spent that much money. One thing to consider I guess is if the truck you have right now is the one to put the effort into, or if you would be better off junking it and buying another one (even another 1994 Pathfinder) to put money into. This is going to depend on stuff like frame and body rust etc etc.

Unless it has a real solid infrastructure (ie. not too much rust, the tranny is actually in good shape, etc) and with that amt of miles on it.... I'd sell it for whatever you can get and start with something new. For $2K over 4 years...less what you get for selling it now.. you got your money's worth. OTOH..buying used is always a risk. IMO..THE BEST strategy to minimize vehicle cost in the long run...is buy new and maintain it well from the beginning. Good luck.

BTW...if indeed has ALL the problems you touch on ...including tranny, CV, timing belt, bushings, etc..PLUS doing what's likely been regular neglected maint such as tune, fluid changes, etc..you could be looking at anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000..give or take.... in repairs/maint...depending on many factors ...whether your hubby can do all the labor..etc etc.

I agree with Piste. I've put close to 2000 into mine in just parts alone. I can't imagine what it would cost for someone to do it!

These parts are (mostly) maintenance items (brakes, rotors, shocks, springs, tranny cooler, fluid changes, major tune up components, lighting and small oddities. I have found that with the help of this forum and a set of totally basic hand tools, the work is surprisingly easy....simple almost!

That said, I am planning on getting at least 8 more years out of it, and my cost of ownership.... will be under 50.00/month for the vehicle. Plus gas. Don't forget the gas.

All in, this is a great vehicle for a 17 year old to learn how to wrench on. If he doesn't want the rig, you could always donate it to your local high school auto program. They probably would issue a tax deductable receipt (they do in Canada). Or, sell it and get him something that he is more interested in.

Just a newbies two cents, but if my parents had handed me a rig like the pathy i own and love now it would have saved me from FOS (ford owner syndrome). on that same blue oval issue i recently traded a trick out lifted beefed up 89 bronco for my pretty stock pathfinder and don't regret it one bit. these rigs hold up great and resale on them kicks other suv's in the rear, plus getting 17mpg. my vote better the devil you know fix and keep. Kids need projects. Just tell him chicks dig guys with grease stains and wrenches. :rofl: good luck

Thank everyone for the great advice! I can't wait to share this with my guys. Maybe we can save this pathy yet. I do have to say that my daughter treated the truck like a baby ( except for the whole checking the oil thing)since she is the one who paid the $2000. for it. My son on the other hand got the truck handed down to him for free and treats it as such. He has been known to have his friends on the roof and for running into walls at car washes. LOL.

If I may quote myself??

Welcome Lisa!!

If he still isn't willing to work on it, smack him in the back of the head and tell him to enjoy walking... :tongue:

:D

Best of luck, we prefer to keep Pathys running... ;)

B

Update: Today my guys got the right hose(after 2 tries),thermostat, radiator by pass hose and a radiator cap. Things are looking up. Now they just have to get the foot of snow off the truck and get to work.