Frontier hauling capacities

OldSlowReliable

Looking into buying a new car next summer...

Mother (who will be greatly assisting in payments) wants me to get something along the lines of a 2010 ford focus :wackinit:

Mainly because she wants a warranty after bad experiences with buying used cars w/o warranties, and them being lemons.

With a 2002 range crew cab short bed frontier being only 9" longer than my current 98 malibu, and I've always liked the frontiers, I'm trying to convince her that they are a good choice...however,

she talks from experience as working as a large animal veterinarian and driving trucks with a 2k lb vet unit in the back, claiming ANY AND ALL trucks are horrible in the snow, which I know

isn't entirely true, especially when said truck has a 'tame' v6 and 4wd with the rear axle being pretty close to the cab...and she says in winter the bed will be useless to haul my stuff home from college, even though the cab space alone is much more useful in hauling the items I need to, she also says she wouldn't let me put a topper on it because 'they are ugly as hell'..

so, for those of you who own these, or know someone-

How are they REALLY in snow?

What is a realistic mpg?

Realistic hauling capacity to haul my wd21? (w/weight dist hitch) I've heard 5k w/o hitch, 7k with

Apx weight of a topper?

other persuasive topics lol

additionally-

heard of any decent performing/reliable vehicles in the 2010 for under 17k range? Every vehicle I suggest, she shoots down with some misinformed/unreasonable reason lol, list of shot down vehicles-

-Anything subaru

-Chevy cobalts

-All SUV's

-Pretty much all trucks

-Dodge

Shes basically looking for a vehicle that doesn't exist! lol

For the trucks being useless in the snow. This is not really true. With a good set of AT tires and 4x4 it's perfectly fine. A few friends that own 2wd pickups usually put a couple patio stones in the back for traction in the winter.

Gas mileage will depend on how you drive but I would guess between 15-25mpg depending on which truck you get.

Instead of a "topper" you could just get a tonneau cover.

Any truck is better than any low slung, @!*% box car in the snow. Just throw a couple sand bags in the bed and there is no issue with it being "too light".

If she wants something with a warranty, maybe look at a used 2nd gen.

what my dad used to always do with his pickup, was to shovel the snow from the driveway into the bed of his pickup, that way it gave the rear end some extra weight and when it got warmer the snow would just melt. probably not the best thing to do with all the road salt but the snow he put in his bed was out of our driveway so I guess no salt. He did this in a 69 Chevy step side with the wooden bed and I never saw anything bad from doing this. But I agree get a tonneau cover instead of a cap.

Hmm, what to say first...

Tell your mom (how old is she?) that she is not the foremost expert on vehicles... ;) I'm not bashing the lady but I doubt her knowledge is superior to people's who fix and modify vehicles for fun and profit. In other words, pay attention to what is being said in this thread Mom, it has much experience behind it...

Is this to supplement the Pathy or replace it? If it is to supplement, then a Focus type vehicle would be much better. My mom bought a brand new Focus wagon (2005?) and it was a piece of crap. Several problems with it, the most significant is that the tranny failed and was replaced with less than 30k miles on it. Yes, it was under warranty but I don't care. That is pathetic and I would have a hard time trusting it after that. She has owned a used Toyota Matrix for 3-4 years and has had no real problems, nor has my wife with hers. Pretty decent and useful design, so small wagons have their place.

Trucks in the snow: They do just fine if you weight the rear and maybe have adjustable shocks. LSD makes a big difference too. I have filled the back of the truck with snow also, it's free, there when it is needed and self disposing!! A topper would actually supply some of that needed weight and make for a secure area but at least install a locking hard cover.

Toppers are ugly as hell?? Well, who is driving the thing and it is a vehicle, not an accessory!! :rolleyes:

I don't advise buying new, buy slightly used. It may take longer to find what you are looking for, but you should get more for your $. Also, with the amount of $ you are talking about, you could easily fix up an older vehicle and have PLENTY of cash left over for the oddball mechanic bill.

In summary, trucks are quite viable vehicles (why do you see them everywhere otherwise?) and forking out $ for a brand new cheap car isn't guarenteeing value or reliability.

B

Wow! Thanks for all the help!

I'll definitely mention these things to her, she's pretty intuitive about cars, but she always references her old work trucks, and my uncle's old 2wd s10...

I also mentioned how the pathfinder is basically a truck with a topper, and how well that does in the snow, and if I need to put weight in the back of a truck, I should be putting weight in the pathy!

This would be replacing my 98 malibu, but not supplementary to my pathy, as this needs to be sufficient for west michigan winters (the pathy's high point) and comfortable/safe/efficient on the highway..

This all kinda depends on if I transfer to a better college, that would reduce my trips back home to 1/2 the distance/time, and to a route purely backroads @ 55mph (in which case I would be driving the pathfinder, and outright selling the malibu)

I've driven 2 of those trucks, a beat up 190k 98(or 99 first year ex-cap) and a like new 120k 02 crew cab(the 02 had balls too it compaired to the 98, I mean it would spin both rear tires half way through second) The 02 I drove on ice covered roads a few times when still in school( awsome teacher, she let me work on her truck and got my Nismo cap for me) I never had a problem with it, but it did have brand new Courser AW's on it.

As far as a new 2010 year car/truck, have you driven a new Escape AWD, my mother has a 06 awd limited (I dont know if this is what its called, but it has leather and everything but the outside temp gauge in it). It gets good mpg for a little truck, 26 summer highway and 19-21 this time of the year city.

I've driven 2 of those trucks, a beat up 190k 98(or 99 first year ex-cap) and a like new 120k 02 crew cab(the 02 had balls too it compaired to the 98, I mean it would spin both rear tires half way through second) The 02 I drove on ice covered roads a few times when still in school( awsome teacher, she let me work on her truck and got my Nismo cap for me) I never had a problem with it, but it did have brand new Courser AW's on it.

As far as a new 2010 year car/truck, have you driven a new Escape AWD, my mother has a 06 awd limited (I dont know if this is what its called, but it has leather and everything but the outside temp gauge in it). It gets good mpg for a little truck, 26 summer highway and 19-21 this time of the year city.

I will not drive a ford escape....lol...sorry! hahaha

Yeah, I really like the styling/features of the early 2000's...as well as the $$ :D

There nice trucks and they go the same places true 4wd's do but they just get better gas milage. But of course its a ford product so you need to unbolt the engine to change the plugs (not kidding, you unbolt the front motor mount and lift the engine to get them)

There nice trucks and they go the same places true 4wd's do but they just get better gas milage. But of course its a ford product so you need to unbolt the engine to change the plugs (not kidding, you unbolt the front motor mount and lift the engine to get them)

I just hate the styling and ford engineering...If I buy domestic, I'll start with chevy ;)

I just hate the styling and ford engineering...If I buy domestic, I'll start with chevy ;)

There styling has come a long way, but I like AVylances too(I like cladding)

trust me, my family has never had a truly *good* experience with chevy...but we all buy only chevys (mostly)...its weird

Who has, a guy I know has 80k into his 2002 avylance and its stock. I'm not BS'ing you ethier, his tune ups cost him 1200 dollars(he's not the smartish) But its a funny avy too, it has a 6.0 in it.

18mpg is respectable too me, the 6.0 can tow a lot but it wasnt offered in the first gen avys, only the 5.3 and 8.1 where.

The plastic isnt on all of them.

The hauling part is because of there gearing, they have 2 ratios, 3.73 and 4.10.

So basiclly want you want is a 4 door suv or pick up that gets good milage. Well then I would look at a colarado, There little 3.5s haul good (straight 5 popper) and get good mpg. I personally thought about getting one, they where 20k for standerd cab short bed z5's(I think thats there off road package, z something) But I couldnt find one with a stick all where autos. But there hot little engines, really, they have cool air vents so the battory doesnt blow up. And the plus side too these, is you can find wrecked(light front damage, bags are ok) crew cab 2wd's for 3k.

18mpg is respectable too me, the 6.0 can tow a lot but it wasnt offered in the first gen avys, only the 5.3 and 8.1 where.

The plastic isnt on all of them.

The hauling part is because of there gearing, they have 2 ratios, 3.73 and 4.10.

So basiclly want you want is a 4 door suv or pick up that gets good milage. Well then I would look at a colarado, There little 3.5s haul good (straight 5 popper) and get good mpg. I personally thought about getting one, they where 20k for standerd cab short bed z5's(I think thats there off road package, z something) But I couldnt find one with a stick all where autos. But there hot little engines, really, they have cool air vents so the battory doesnt blow up. And the plus side too these, is you can find wrecked(light front damage, bags are ok) crew cab 2wd's for 3k.

lol, if I ever get a truck and its not 4wd my mom will murder me ;)

and if I ever try to get a colorado, my sister will murder me...haha

and if I ever try to get a 2wd colorado, my sister and my mom will kill me together!

Long story, my sister was about to buy a 2wd colorado for like 10k, but settled on a lemon of a 04 kia optima....and shes hit 10 or more things since she got it.......I couldn't imagine how the truck would look by now!

I wouldn't be OPPOSED to a small 2 door honda accord, or a sedan...if I was sure they would be alright in the snow....

good gas mileage is basically better than my malibu....(20/25) unless of course I get something with 4wd, when that number is a little lower for the added benefit of 4wd..

she has mentioned she'd be alright with a newer r50...I pointed one out to her, and she noticed it was alot more like her WJ....a little more highway oriented so to speak...and I pulled the

"its the same basics of my truck....so I'd be able to work on it easy!" haha

Morning whores, how are we on this wonderful winter day?

Wait, this dont go here!

Get a colarado, or the Izusu i350, both are the same truck, you can find lightly wrecked, low milage ones(under 30k) for 3-5k.

I'd stay away from the honda and camry idea, the newer camrys are sludge monsters and POS(you can run full syn and your timing chain(06+) come out looking like hell)) If your looking for a comuter car then I say a 98-02 sl2 with a 5spd. There cheap(500-2000) go 300k and are dependable, they knock down 40+mpg too. I would stay away from the singal cam ones unless you want too swap the head with a 96/older one.

Edited by nismothunder

What you describing sounds like a 3.0 ranger or mazda, small 4x4 truck with a small 6 that gets decent milage. You ruled out the bad ones already, the dodge,honda(there not dependable) and the toylets(if there not 350 powered or a 22 there junk)

That leaves Ford(there dependable, but a bit more money) and chev. You can rule out the S10/blazer and ford explders,they have bad trannys and top ends(although, the blazer/s10 zr2 is wicked, heavy duty tranny(yes, bigger clutch bans) and fron and rear diffs, but the problem is most have been beaten and pieced togeather with stock non zr2 parts A.K.A whimpy @!*%) and there a chevy so they rot out with in 2 weeks of owner ship.

NISMOTHUNDER will prolly :ar15: me, but our 2.2l 4cyl 5 speed 1996 Camry has been pretty reliable. We picked it up in april of 2006 with 88k on it and it now sits(and drives!) with about 160k or so. Replaced the clutch, tires,rediator, I think a belt-not sure and one of the front axles. Gett about 32-35 highway and when I dd'd it I think i was getting aboot 24-26ish city?

Also, from what i've read the little 4cyl Rangers seem to be well liked. Never owned one but you see enough of them around

Nope, the older ones are good, its the newer ones(2000+) that are having a lot of problems. If I could find a 88k or 160k on it I would buy it, but everyone seems that a 15 year old import kick about car is worth 4,000+, when I can get a 10 year old car american car with the same milage for 500.

I dont see it as a import vs american car, I dont favor ethier more then another(well, I dont care for dodge trannys and there new look). I like cars that runs good and will last.

The big issue I have with getting a 'lightly wrecked' truck, is that chances are theres a million other things waiting to go wrong.....and I will only have about two months to find all these things, because once I start up college again, there is no working on them (I live in dorms)

assuming I can find one w/o a salvage title...but don't get me wrong, some banged up sheet metal isn't going to deter me...

Edited by OldSlowReliable