Potential Brake Failure with 31 tires?

ModiFinder

I just got this warning on a website regarding 31' tires for my 97 SE.

"Warning! When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure."

Does anyone here have any knowledge of this? I was about to buy the tires and it scared the crap out of me!

This is the site with the info:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

brake failure is a very bold statement nor do they explain what can actually happen. just a very vague and ambiguous statement.

when upsizing your wheel/tire combo, your ABS can fail if you get to about +12%. a +3% change will mostly affect handling of the truck, speedometer, etc. it's always nice to upgrade your braking system with at least better pads, maybe some SS lines, and better fluid. other than that, you'll be fine.

It's a CYA/disclaimer BS. Yes, it can affect braking, but generally if you upsize drastically or your braking system is worn/weak/corroded/malfunctioning to begin with.

There are people driving around with 33" tires and the stock brakes without issues.

B

I concour. It is CYA.

WARNING!

Doing anything may kill you.

I figured it was exaggerated to avoid legal issues later.

edwinsyip: what should I expect in handling? how much of a difference is it?

i have 31's on mine, and really not much difference in handling, or braking. my abs is workin great, since it gets used EVERY DAY right now (ice as far as the eye can see).

but you should account for up to 5mph difference on your speedo. mine's about 3, but i used a gps to find that out.

Thanks everyone for their comments on this. It is becoming obvious that it was a legal disclaimer. The tire size is only 4.5% bigger from the 265/70/15 to the 31/10.5/15.

Now I only have to decide between Duelers and Geolanders.

going from a 265/70/15 to 31s should be barely over a 3% increase. maybe a 3.5% increase, if that.

the 31s are actually an optional size that we use regularly in the shop for Frontiers, Pathys, etc.

I went from 265/70R15 to 31x10.5 on my '97, and I can tell you it drives different, but the brakes work just fine, and the ABS has been working overtime because of the snow. Also, I can confirm that there are no clearance problems.

Put them on and enjoy the awesomeness.

Edited by pathfounder

I went from 265/70R15 to 31x10.5 on my '97, and I can tell you it drives different, but the brakes work just fine, and the ABS has been working overtime because of the snow. Also, I can confirm that there are no clearance problems.

Put them on and enjoy the awesomeness.

pathfounder: what do you mean by differences in the drive? I keep on hearing there are changes but could you tell me some of the specifics?

I would say that he means it probably holds shifts longer and feels slower because of the bigger/heavier tires.

pretty much, yeah.

modi, it's basic physics. you're putting a tire with a larger circumference on there. brake distance is going to increase, acceleration is going to slow, mileage will probably be affected a bit, your handling shouldn't suffer a whole lot though, to be honest. most 31s come in 6-ply applications meaning it's a stiffer tire. you've got more sidewall now, which usually results in a "mushier" type of ride, but the stiffer tire counteracts that a bit.

biggest things you'll notice are increased brake distance and slower acceleration. that's the big things.

and if you put them on yourself, you'll feel the weight difference. My 31 bfg's have quite some weight over my 235 geolanders. It does accelerate a little slower. And braking distance a little farther. But nothing you can't handle. And you WILL get rubbing issues, fully depending on your rim choice. Back spacing plays a big role in whether they will rub or not. Mine used to rub when reversing at full lock until i switched rims.

The transmission (auto) has always been a bit early on shifts, and I find it hunts at 70 km/h, although not too badly. It did that a bit before with the 265's anyways.

The main difference I notice is in cornering, the wheels are slower to re-center, and the rear end is a bit more loose feeling. I chalk these things up to the height of the sidewall being greater.

The differences are very minor all in all. I think a layperson wouldn't even notice.

pretty much, yeah.

modi, it's basic physics. you're putting a tire with a larger circumference on there. brake distance is going to increase, acceleration is going to slow, mileage will probably be affected a bit, your handling shouldn't suffer a whole lot though, to be honest. most 31s come in 6-ply applications meaning it's a stiffer tire. you've got more sidewall now, which usually results in a "mushier" type of ride, but the stiffer tire counteracts that a bit.

biggest things you'll notice are increased brake distance and slower acceleration. that's the big things.

This makes perfect sense.

The transmission (auto) has always been a bit early on shifts, and I find it hunts at 70 km/h, although not too badly. It did that a bit before with the 265's anyways.

The main difference I notice is in cornering, the wheels are slower to re-center, and the rear end is a bit more loose feeling. I chalk these things up to the height of the sidewall being greater.

The differences are very minor all in all. I think a layperson wouldn't even notice.

This made me think. I have a manual transmission and I have always found that the 1st and 2nd gear are really mean for very low speeds. They feel very torquey and they are great in the mud but on the road they are slow but once you get to 3rd. I always assumed this was because it was a SE and it has the 4.6 ratio. So technically this transmission works better with larger tires such as the 265 and since they quite a bit closer to the 31' than the 235s on the other Pathfinders.

I am starting to wonder if it would make more sense to wait longer before I decide what kind of tires to buy.

and if you put them on yourself, you'll feel the weight difference. My 31 bfg's have quite some weight over my 235 geolanders. It does accelerate a little slower. And braking distance a little farther. But nothing you can't handle. And you WILL get rubbing issues, fully depending on your rim choice. Back spacing plays a big role in whether they will rub or not. Mine used to rub when reversing at full lock until i switched rims.

I think I saw a few places where the say the back spacing numbers I should be looking for to avoid the issues with rubbing. Especially when I put the lift in.

i believe there was someone that posted that there were differences between the 1G R50 SE and LEs, being that the LEs will experience more rubbing as compared to the SEs.

the SEs that come factory with the 265/70/15s will not rub unless the tires come brand new with an insane amount of tread or the springs are sagging like crazy and the shocks/struts are beyond blown.

One add'l factor in whether you get rubbing or not is the true size of the tire. Not all 31 x 10.5 tires measure a true 31.000 inches and 10.500 inches. With the diameter there can be roughly one inch difference..ie. 30.50 to 31.50 inches in true measurement variance across different brand/model tires. Similar variances with width. I ran Mich LTX M/S 31x10.5 on my 97 SE ...they only rubbed slightly at full wheel lock..but did this from day one til I took them off 9 years and 100K miles later. Replaced with Revo 2 31x10.5 and they don't rub at all ...wheel lock or not. Check mfr sites etc as they often have true tire measurements on there.

One add'l factor in whether you get rubbing or not is the true size of the tire. Not all 31 x 10.5 tires measure a true 31.000 inches and 10.500 inches. With the diameter there can be roughly one inch difference..ie. 30.50 to 31.50 inches in true measurement variance across different brand/model tires. Similar variances with width. I ran Mich LTX M/S 31x10.5 on my 97 SE ...they only rubbed slightly at full wheel lock..but did this from day one til I took them off 9 years and 100K miles later. Replaced with Revo 2 31x10.5 and they don't rub at all ...wheel lock or not. Check mfr sites etc as they often have true tire measurements on there.

Thanks piste. I have started to check out all the size differences but I have not always been able to find the actual sizes of the tires.

So I still have the 265/70/15 on the car and last night I was coming back from a trip down what is call 'the cut' in Vancouver which is basically a steep 800 meter (1/2 mile) hill with a 40º curve at the bottom. Although his is not that bad on its own it is part of the highway and the speed limit is... actually I am not sure what it is because we all go at our own risk down that hill.

The issue was that coming down the hill getting close to the bottom people decided to go from 80 km to 0 as fast at they could for no reason (common there) but my brakes started to feel loose. It scared the hell out of me because I basely managed not to park in the trunk of the car in front of me.

Is there any way of beefing up the brakes for the R50 (97 SE)?