Ridiculously cool idea to help me think about!

kefferjoe

So i have a 99 pathy v6 4x4 and all and i really want to turbo it just for fun...i am getting really close to being able to complete this idea by swapping a 300zx engine into it....i run into an issue here with the tranfers case and 4x4 parts stuff and maybe some fitment issues but idk....i was also thinking about getting a custom manifold and rebuilding the engine replacing the ecu injectors oil pan all that...im looking for a way to do this cost isn't an issue i just think this would be super cool to have a lifted sleeper pathy i really dont care for putting me down and what not i realize what im doing is ridiculous but i have the time and money for it so i just need ideas. thanks

Wouldnt it be a vg33?It is a 99 after all.

You're right, I missed that. VQ engines came to Pathfinder in '01. VG33 engine has only been used in Pathfinders and minivans apparently, so probably no bolt-on turbos for it. VQ, on the other hand, was in Altima, Maxima, 350Z, Infiniti G35 and M35. There are definitely aftermarket parts! If money is no object, easiest way to go, I would think, would be to swap out VG33 for VQ35, then find a bolt-on setup:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html

Maybe, instead of swapping out your engine, you can trade in your '99 for an '01 or later R50, then do the bolt-on. I think that would be easiest of all.

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking about this too. $5K to turbocharge my Pathfinder?

--Howie

Edited by Howie

most people (like me) upgrade their vg30 to vg33 in their z31 and swap the turbo crap onto it and its a major improvement! so u can use ur motor just get a the couple of turbo parts u need and swap parts not whole motors

Would probably cost alot to get your drivetrain to be able to hold the power though, oem clutch aint going to cut it @ 250+ foot pounds lol

OEM clutch might not handle the power, no. But the rest of the drive train will not be an issue at all.

VG33 NA 9.3:1 compression ratio plus a turbo=fun. Everything that bolts on a turbo VG30 will bolt on to a VG33.

Don't over boost it and it will reliably put down some power. 12-15PSI aughta do you some good. :aok: You can make a hell of a lot more power boosting a VG than you ever can with a VQ35.

Ok guys you have peaked my interest again on this concept of turbo charging the VG33 R50. Where are the parts? Give us a run down on what we need to get some power out of these R50's that don't have the VQ motor. Only thing I know is to up grade the cams and intake which helps but not enough.

VQs have fairly small limits to how much power they can reliably put out in the long run. Upside is they produce a substantial amount of power stock.

I have heard this as well, the VQ35 is pretty much topped out on reliable power as is. You can add more but the engine just wont handle it well. 250hp coming from a 3.5liter aluminum block engine is pretty good though I think, lighter and much more powerful than the VG engines.

the vg has been around alot longer and has much more after market due to that so u can get forged parts and cams and its a iron block. my vg33 z31 has a gt3582r on 15psi making 470 hp right now and its a stock motor and has been like this for over a year so far.

the vg has been around alot longer and has much more after market due to that so u can get forged parts and cams and its a iron block. my vg33 z31 has a gt3582r on 15psi making 470 hp right now and its a stock motor and has been like this for over a year so far.

Finally you post a number! Lucky man, you're over the golden rule! 1HP per 10LBS. I bet it's a blast! :beer:

Finally you post a number! Lucky man, you're over the golden rule! 1HP per 10LBS. I bet it's a blast! :beer:

HA yeah its a blast thats what its making right now on this piss poor tune with e85 I need to being it and get it tuned again after installing my bovand intercool. This hauls though can still light up the tires around 70+ if i drop it down

Your best bet would be to get a junked Z31 turbo to use as a parts car. All the turbo components will swap right on. You can use your stock tranny. Swap to the z31 flywheel and clutch and starter motor. With the stock Z31 manifolds, you run into the issue of firewall clearance ( a BFH should do the trick) and then the stock turbo location hitting the steering rack (uncomfirmed as far as I know). Then engine management becomes an issue. I've been talking to a shop about this. You can go full stand alone if you want (money) OR you can get the Z31 ECU, and wire it inconjuction with the stock R50 ECU or just run the Z31 ECU by itself re-wired to control everything (theory). Problem here is you have OBDII, while the Z31 is OBDI, or even OBD0 (I can't remember off the top of my head) so emission becomes an issue (if you have this). Z31performance.com has a lot of info on turbocharging the VG33E (although its for the Z31. You have to search for it, I won't do it).

Also, another idea (since you have money) is to do a VG34E. Basically you get VH45 pistons out of a 90-94 Infiniti, and use VG30DE(TT) connecting rods. You have to bore your block 0.060 over (machine shop can get the exact measurement) and you have to fly cut the pistons for valve clearance. Also recommended to P&P the head, and use VG30E Camshafts for best results. This can net you about 230-250HP. Then turbo it!!

Good luck and hope this little info helps.

Jose

I actually have a junked 92 300z out in my back yard will these manifolds bolt straight on? And am i looking at any clearance issues with anything? This will be neat i cant wait to get started with all this....and i have an automatic and i want to keep the transmission because it has the 4wd transfer case on it...well here goes a good experiment assuming parts bolt up this should go smoothly :)