auto trans questions

ahardb0dy

I know the early hardbody auto tranny's were non overdrive, like what I had in my 87, Can the newer OD tranny's be used in place of the non OD tranny? If so does anything have to be replaced, computer,etc?

My neighbors friend has a hardbody and needs a tranny I know the place where I bought my JDM engine has tranny's but I'm sure they will be OD tranny's so wanted to ask about this before I told him.

Thanks

I thought the tranny computer is behind a panel on the passenger side, behind the seats?? :scratchhead:

I'm pretty sure the tranny will bolt up but yes, you would need the computer for it. SC88Pathy ran into this issue when his 87 pathy tranny crapped out on him and knows it far better. Try searching with his name or PMing him but he is having computer problems and may not be on line for a few days.

B

I thought the tranny computer is behind a panel on the passenger side, behind the seats?? :scratchhead:

I'm pretty sure the tranny will bolt up but yes, you would need the computer for it. SC88Pathy ran into this issue when his 87 pathy tranny crapped out on him and knows it far better. Try searching with his name or PMing him but he is having computer problems and may not be on line for a few days.

B

the trans computer is in the panel next to the passenger side rear speaker yes

No, a transmission newer than '87 will not work. The L3N71B is the non-overdrive 3-speed transmission and the RE4RO1A is the newer (and weaker) 4-speed overdrive transmission. Both will bolt up, however, the wiring between the two is entirely different. I've spent hours tracing wiring diagrams, and unless you rewire through the entire engine/transmission electronics harness it simply isn't going to work.

On the Hardbody Truck the AT control module is under the seat next to the ECU.

On the Pathfinder it behind the panel next to the passenger side rear seat.

And as Kingman said, it will not work.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out last night the Hardbody is a manual trans. The guy that I got the JDM engine for my 94 and who I got the price on the auto tranny is now listing a manual tranny: details below, is this a good price?

*** JDM ORLANDO ***

" YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR ALL REASONS JDM "

***WE ARE THE LARGEST JDM DISTRIBUTOR IN SOUTH EAST BUY WITH CONFIDENCE***

!!WE WILL BEAT ANY ADVERTISED PRICE IN THE WHOLE SOUTH EAST AREA!!

!!! IMPORTED DIRECTLY FROM JAPAN !!!

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

JDM 89-95 NISSAN PICK UP TRUCK / PATHFINDER

VG30E

V6 MANUAL 4X4 MANUAL 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION ------------------$549!!!

THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION WE HAVE IN STOCK WAS REMOVED FROM A JDM NISSAN PICK UP TRUCK IN JAPAN AND IMPORTED DIRECTLY TO US WITH APPROX 65K MILES!

THIS TRANSMISSION WILL WORK WITH GIVEN YEARS/MODELS ABOVE IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE US A CALL OR WRITE US AN E-MAIL

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

!!! ALL OF OUR ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS COME WITH WARRANTY!!!

here are the pics from the listing:

a4ap2e.jpg

2d8mc5w.jpg

10x7dp0.jpg

sw8s20.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy