eaton blower on CL for VG30

Scaramoche

Get a cowl induction hood.I also see a 70 'bu or velle in the back ground.Wasnt that one guy who posted a vid of him self racing around a suburb from nm?Said he had a turbo one and was SC'ing the other?

Thats the same blower thats on the fronty and X right?

Edited by nismothunder

So what are the American Californian smog rules? Can't modify anything?

Basically anything you bolt on/change must be CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved. I doubt a SC onm a pathy is approved. There are some loop holes, but for major mods you had better know exactly what you need to do/have to be legal or you'll never get it registered. 1975 or earlier is smog exempt so that's what the hot rodders use as a base.

It sucks some times, but the fringe benefit is having breathable air so I don't cry too loud. :shrug:

B

Pretty much everywhere besides California it's 25 years or older is smog exempt, and all you really need to pass is a working emissions system that keeps the emissions numbers below the legal threshold. Example, the 2004 350Z roaming around here with a Corvette ZO6 motor passed emissions and is street legal.

Arkansas has a population of 2,673,400 people and an area of 53,178.62 miles for a population density of 50.27 people per square mile.

California has a population of 33,871,648 people and an area of 163,695.57 miles for a population density of 206.92 people per square mile.

Big difference there!!

What I did not say was that not ALL of California is under smog laws, only the major cities and urban areas which have a certain population density and size.

I live 50 miles north of San Francisco and have to smog check my vehicles. Another 50 north and there is no smog checking.

While is does cost $ and can be inconvenient, I'm actually quite glad for it. If 10% of the population were to go Redneck on their cat/exhaust/intake system with a hacksaw to get more performance or generally neglect the vehicle until it barely runs, I really don't think I would want to live here anymore... :shrug:

Back to the blower though. If I was in a non smog area, I seriously think I would buy that and a VG33, put them together with moderate cams and a Jim Wolf ECU, drop it in my WD21 with the Thorley headers, Magnaflow cat and custom Flowmaster exhaust. That should set me up with what, a 250hp WD21 minumum. 270-280hp maybe??

There wouldn't be a Mall that could stop me!!! :excl:

Seriously though. You could do everything under $4k and it would be awesome!!

B

If 10% of the population were to go Redneck on their cat/exhaust/intake system with a hacksaw to get more performance or generally neglect the vehicle until it barely runs, I really don't think I would want to live here anymore... :shrug:

B

What are you implying B?

DO you think the smog referee will notice that sticking out of the hood?? scratchheadyellow.gif

Oh well, I'm out...

B

In cali there is a loop hole for engines "same vehicle of same or newer year" Now pathfinders never saw an SC but the ENGINEs that are leagal for swap are vg30, vg33, vq... etc...

That supercharger will easlily pass smog TESTS because it will not boost at idle and it might not boost at cruise if you don't step on the throttle very hard. If nothing else wire the bypass open for the test.

I been doin allot of studying on this SC and its bigger brother the M90. They are pretty awesome and almost like they are not even there when it comes to emissions testing and or casual driving MPG. Now put it to the floor and it goes from tame to beast in a heartbeat.

What are you implying B?

I'm not implying a single thing Bud, I'm stating simple fact based on accurate numbers. If people out here weren't held accountable to how clean their car/truck runs, they would let things go to sheit and it would quickly become unpleasant/unhealthy to live here. Maybe people there are more socially responsible with the environment and their vehicles and don't need monitoring but maybe is due to the 25% relative population pressures that keeps things clean. :shrug:

All that said, I firmly believe anyone who cuts their cat off/hollows it out is a serious arsehole in my book, regardless of state or testing.

In cali there is a loop hole for engines "same vehicle of same or newer year" Now pathfinders never saw an SC but the ENGINEs that are leagal for swap are vg30, vg33, vq... etc...

That supercharger will easlily pass smog TESTS because it will not boost at idle and it might not boost at cruise if you don't step on the throttle very hard. If nothing else wire the bypass open for the test.

I been doin allot of studying on this SC and its bigger brother the M90. They are pretty awesome and almost like they are not even there when it comes to emissions testing and or casual driving MPG. Now put it to the floor and it goes from tame to beast in a heartbeat.

Yes, there are loop holes, but I think you have a simple understanding of them. For example, a smog test can be failed due to a visual inspection. If they say "hey, this doesn't have a SC option on it" and you don't have paperwork that shows it is allowable, it fails. You never started the vehicle...

B

Thankfully in WA we don't have visual tests.

Essentially, to pass a WA emissions test, your O2 sensor needs to function properly, along with your cat.

My 1985 Supra with a 0 mile 3.0L swap with no EGR, passed with better numbers than a prius. So :shrug:

Yes, there are loop holes, but I think you have a simple understanding of them. For example, a smog test can be failed due to a visual inspection. If they say "hey, this doesn't have a SC option on it" and you don't have paperwork that shows it is allowable, it fails. You never started the vehicle...

B

agreed visual would def. fail the second they opened the hood. But there's away around that as well...

The lower manifold is the same if you have all the TB and upper maifold coolant lines removed (visually looks the same without them) you could remove the SC, put a reguar upper manifold on in a few hours and pass smog. How often do you have to smog? 2 yrs?

or get an 87 pathy to do this to because the will be exempt in 2012...

my 89 won't be getting a full time blower till at least 2015

B

Hmmm I thought CARB allows engine swaps as long as that engine was available in that chassis throughout its life...now i've never seen a SC 87-95 stock but its still a VG series engine and say its a VG30E or I did nissan ever put this SC on a 3.0L in a VG30 engine? and if so is the engine badged different? an example is the VG30DETT...

Plus you can always keep your stock parts and pass smog...a SC install like this should take what 4-6 hrs? you smog once every 2 years whats 8-12 hrs every 2 years of wrenching? I knew a guy who swapped heads on a mustang out there just to pass smog and as soon as he got home he swapped it right back over

or do what i did and plate it in a different state be a "seasonal or contract" worker

or find a smog shop that will "overlook" the modifications...I talked to a guy who would do it down in LA county but I lived in Kern so that was no good for me

CARB is such a bitch...we're doing CARB certification on the electric vehicle that i was on the design team for...it's 0 emissions....well if you don't count all the coal burned to charge it up but I guess most of CA is powered off the hoover dam and maybe some wind farms and maybe some solar farms but they probably sell all of that "free energy" to AZ and NV but yea 0 emissions and one charge is good for 100ish miles and you could probably run your house off of it for 3 days :shrug: green ain't always so green

I chuckled tonight when me and the gf got in my pathy (muffler is laying in the back b/c i pinched the pipe out of the cat on a rock..."your exhaust isnt legal"...my response was welcome to SC baby :D...

All that said, I firmly believe anyone who cuts their cat off/hollows it out is a serious arsehole in my book, regardless of state or testing.

B

OK, Who the f#@k said the "C" word and got B's panties in a bunch?

I'm an asshat then B. Ok there is no engine in my white truck, but still.

Did I remove it for hp? No.

Did I remove it because I hate the environment? No.

Did I remove it because my exhaust doesn't get up to temp on my drive to work? Yes.

There is just far too many #$$@&$#@%'s out there scare mongering about what is good and bad. I don't believe one more than the next.

They all seem full of shet. I don't know who to believe, I don't see how anyone could :shrug:

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, but just because someone removes a little thing from their car, they are treated like a rapist.

:scratchhead:

*Snort* :lol:

I wish I had the cash for that, or it was closer. I've wanted to supercharge my Pathfinder for a long ass time now, love the sound of them. There are a few pictures of a blown Pathfinder floating around on here, I can't remember where though.

Put a smaller pulley on it and run 12-13 LBS instead of the stock 8-9. The SC VG33 Xterra and Frontiers only put out 210HP in plain stock form. Smaller pulley and the compression ratio of an NA VG (8.5:1 instead of a boosted 7.5:1) alone would make worlds of difference. Headers, cams, tuning, exhaust, etc. on top of that...

This guy went the odd route, attaching the factory throttle body sideways running to the supercharger. I didn't even think the throttle body would function like that...

Edited by Kingman

I'm not implying a single thing Bud,

B

Dam B, go have a beer and cool off man, I was implying that you were implying that we're all rednecks in Arkansas. Although that would not be too far from the truth :D , shiite

*Snort* :lol:

I wish I had the cash for that, or it was closer. I've wanted to supercharge my Pathfinder for a long ass time now, love the sound of them. There are a few pictures of a blown Pathfinder floating around on here, I can't remember where though.

Put a smaller pulley on it and run 12-13 LBS instead of the stock 8-9. The SC VG33 Xterra and Frontiers only put out 210HP in plain stock form. Smaller pulley and the compression ratio of an NA VG (8.5:1 instead of a boosted 7.5:1) alone would make worlds of difference. Headers, cams, tuning, exhaust, etc. on top of that...

This guy went the odd route, attaching the factory throttle body sideways running to the supercharger. I didn't even think the throttle body would function like that...

He said he had problems with fuel pooling in the intake since he mounted the TB that way. I was thinking you could remove the injectors and make a plate to hold them at the entrance to the intake manifold just after the SC, more in their original position. Plus I'm not sure about spitting fuel thru the SC. I don't know a lot about it, but that sounds a bit sketchy to me.

put a smaller pulley on it and run 12-13 LBS instead of the stock 8-9. The SC VG33 Xterra and Frontiers only put out 210HP in plain stock form. Smaller pulley and the compression ratio of an NA VG (8.5:1 instead of a boosted 7.5:1) alone would make worlds of difference. Headers, cams, tuning, exhaust, etc. on top of that...

funny you say that cause its all wrong... the VG33ER ran 4psi of boost and the same 9:1 pistons as its N/A brother.

He said he had problems with fuel pooling in the intake since he mounted the TB that way. I was thinking you could remove the injectors and make a plate to hold them at the entrance to the intake manifold just after the SC, more in their original position. Plus I'm not sure about spitting fuel thru the SC. I don't know a lot about it, but that sounds a bit sketchy to me.

the paddles are teflon coated

funny you say that cause its all wrong... the VG33ER ran 4psi of boost and the same 9:1 pistons as its N/A brother.

4PSI? Not what I've read, a few different places have said different things and when I was talking to a small Nissan mechanic shop that's been in business for 25 years, he told me what I wrote. If it's only 4PSI, 40HP from that low of boost would theoretically mean there's much more room for power to be made.

Do supercharges run the risk of pre detonation like turbos do?

But I wouldn't need to even mess with the throttle body since mine's already completely fuel injected, and it almost looks like from the picture in the ad the runners on the lower intake manifold are the same or similar to what I have, and if that's the case the supercharger could be bolted right on. :shrug:

I want to find someone with a supercharged truck and stop them so I can take a real close look under the hood.

agreed visual would def. fail the second they opened the hood. But there's away around that as well...

The lower manifold is the same if you have all the TB and upper maifold coolant lines removed (visually looks the same without them) you could remove the SC, put a reguar upper manifold on in a few hours and pass smog. How often do you have to smog? 2 yrs?

or get an 87 pathy to do this to because the will be exempt in 2012...

You and UNCCP have a good point about swapping back and forth, I'm just not sure I want to deal with that. I'm somewhat Nunya...

No, that won't work. California stopped the rolling the date along every few years. Smog exempt 1975 and earlier has been capped for almost a decade. I bought a 1978 VW back then thinking I would only have to smog it once or twice and then be home free. No, they announced the exempt year freeze a year later. :angry:

Hmmm I thought CARB allows engine swaps as long as that engine was available in that chassis throughout its life...now i've never seen a SC 87-95 stock but its still a VG series engine and say its a VG30E or I did nissan ever put this SC on a 3.0L in a VG30 engine? and if so is the engine badged different? an example is the VG30DETT...

Plus you can always keep your stock parts and pass smog...a SC install like this should take what 4-6 hrs? you smog once every 2 years whats 8-12 hrs every 2 years of wrenching? I knew a guy who swapped heads on a mustang out there just to pass smog and as soon as he got home he swapped it right back over

or do what i did and plate it in a different state be a "seasonal or contract" worker

or find a smog shop that will "overlook" the modifications...I talked to a guy who would do it down in LA county but I lived in Kern so that was no good for me

CARB is such a bitch...we're doing CARB certification on the electric vehicle that i was on the design team for...it's 0 emissions....well if you don't count all the coal burned to charge it up but I guess most of CA is powered off the hoover dam and maybe some wind farms and maybe some solar farms but they probably sell all of that "free energy" to AZ and NV but yea 0 emissions and one charge is good for 100ish miles and you could probably run your house off of it for 3 days :shrug: green ain't always so green

Yes, true and good point. As I said though, I'm not sure I want to deal with that. Why?? Lazy! I already have more work than I can do...

OK, Who the f#@k said the "C" word and got B's panties in a bunch?

I'm an asshat then B. Ok there is no in my white truck, but still.

Did I remove it for hp? No.

Did I remove it because I hate the environment? No.

Did I remove it because my exhaust doesn't get up to temp on my drive to work? Yes.

There is just far too many #$$@&$#@%'s out there scare mongering about what is good and bad. I don't believe one more than the next.

They all seem full of shet. I don't know who to believe, I don't see how anyone could :shrug:

Not that I'm completely disagreeing with you, but just because someone removes a little thing from their car, they are treated like a rapist.

:scratchhead:

What does this have to do with no motor in Dog?? If you did remove the cat, yeah Bud, I think that is pretty lame and irresponsible. It is your choice, but that also my opinion. The cat is there for a reason and it does work. Would you like independent sources as to how and why?

Dam B, go have a beer and cool off man, I was implying that you were implying that we're all rednecks in Arkansas. Although that would not be too far from the truth :D , shiite

Hey now, I didn't know where you were going so I gave an honest answer... :shrug:

As for being Redneck, that is not limited by state or even region. Redneck is a way of life (often dictated by a cap on intelligence and/or education)!! Arkansas?? Hell, check out Warshington, the damn place is crawling with Rednecks!! :D

B

What does this have to do with no motor in Dog?? If you did remove the cat, yeah Bud, I think that is pretty lame and irresponsible. It is your choice, but that also my opinion. The cat is there for a reason and it does work. Would you like independent sources as to how and why?

B

Vix has no engine and no cat.

Ok the cat does work... Removing hydrocarbons from exhaust gasses.

But it does nothing for carbon dioxide and running a cat releases nitrous oxide which is far worse than co2 as far as green house gases go.

How about the mining of platinum and palladium? Very eco friendly that is :rolleyes:

If I had the resources that some groups do I'm sure I could convince the world that not running blinker fluid would kill puppies.

I guess I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to such things.

We just phased out all wet back fire here in Ch-ch because of our "smog"..... WE LIVE IN A FREAKIN BOWL. Of course it'll fill up with smoke :togo:

Thanks for the adult debate B :beer:

Damn, now I'm confusing your trucks...

Carbon Dioxide is plant food and is released in our every breath. Yes, it contributes to the green house gasses but I think it can be shown that we ourselves (and all of our pigs, sheep, dogs, cows, etc) contribute significantly as well. Because the cat doesn't stop it doesn't argue not to use one...

Nitrous Oxide considered over a 100 year period, it has 298 times more impact per unit weight than carbon dioxide.

Damn!! Ok, I did not know those numbers but I have to question how much is produced by the cat? Is it more or less harmful in relation to the amount of HC without the cat?? What is the effect before and after 100 years?? I am going to try to find out and will post it.

Mining is bad news, definitely bad news for the environment, but... but this material can all be recycled so what damage has been done need not be repeated. What did you do with the old cat?? Keep it? Throw it away? Get paid for recycling it??

I do understand what you say though. For example (IIRC this correctly), the nickel for the Prius battery is mined in China (killing minors and gods knows what), shipped to Japan for refinement, shipped to Europe to be turned to nickel foam, shipped back to Japan to be assembled, then shipped (to the US??) to be sold. Sure, it uses less gas when it is on the road but how much energy and resource was needed to make it?? I really do understand the hidden cost principle... ;)

Yeah, special interest groups and media campaigns virtually control popular conception. I can honestly see it as someone who doesn't watch TV and popular media...

I have to throw numbers at you now though...

California has a population of 33,871,648 people and an area of 163,695.57 miles for a population density of 206.92 people per square mile.

New Zealand has a population of 3,862,000 people and an area of 103,733 miles for a population density of 37.23 people per square mile.

One other pertinent factoid...

California general coastline length of 840 miles

New Zealand general coastline length of 9,404 miles

I dare say you are a bit better ventilated down there, eh?? :D

Seriously though, I don't think you have ever driven to the Sacramento area (state capitol area 1.5M people) and seen the brown haze that sits above it on calm or 'bad' days that obscures the snow capped Sierra mountain range beyond it. That is only the 6th largest urban area in the state and the stain it leaves is disgusting and unhealthy. This is why I support reasonable and effective smog regulations for vehicles, but maybe... hopefully it is not that bad where you live. But still, even if it isn't, does that mean you shouldn't care? We are all on the same rock... :shrug:

:beer:

B