Extraction Machine (Pathfinder)

MrJim

Well, we had a Winter Blast in the NW today and so I lowered my tire air pressure and headed out for work.

Snowday_ready.jpg

I travel from one location to another all day in my work for Dell Computers and today was one icy thrill ride from beginning to end.

Snowday_drive.jpg

I eventually lost count of how many people I pulled out and I never thought I would get tired of pulling out stuck vehicles but I sure did today.

***Check out this icy parking lot from the night before the actual snow storm. It is SLICK out there...

Snowday_ice.jpg

I pulled out a new Jeep Wrangler that lost control and spun out into the median of Interstate 5 where he was floundering back and forth with his stock tires. I hooked up and pulled him right out.

Next, I passed this Ford Ranger 4x4 that was having real trouble on a icy hll. I stopped and the two occupants spoke no English (Mexican). They either had a busted 4x4 system or did not know how to use it. Anyway, with the language barrier in place, I just hooked up and pulled them about a mile up the icy roadway.

extraction2.jpg

On my way back down the hill, I found this small car that was not able to move any further up the hill due to ice too so I turned around and pulled the lady up the same road. **Notice the tracks of the Ranger I just rescued in the foreground on the road.

extraction3.jpg

Later, I was just trying to go home and happened upon this mess where one car was in a ditch hard on the left and another was sideways on the road on the right where it had already been smacked by one car sliding down the ice. I hooked up to that car first and the driver was very reluctant to let me even try. He wanted to wait for a tow truck. I told him that I was not planning to charge him. I had to get on my Pathfinder a bit to get his car moving up that icy road. It was very steep and I even fell twice just trying to walk on it. When I got his car to the top, he thanked everyone one but me and went on his way. Whatever...

extraction1.jpg

When I got back to the base of the hill, the bystanders were all saying, "That is one badass rig", and "That Pathfinder is amazing". I ate that up of course.

I asked who owned the green Saturn in the ditch and they said it was someone they knew in the neighborhood, but nobody knew where the owner was. The road was so icy that I did not have any concerns about just dragging it out and back on the road with my winch, so that is what I did.

Once it was safely on the road and in a secure spot I tried to leave, but a guy in a nice 2x4 F150 ended up in the ditch as he attempted to go up the hill to his house. He was dangerously close to a barbed wire fence on the side of the road so it took some skill to get him out of that. I delivered him to his driveway and he asked if he owed me anything. I said no and headed for home again.

Snowday_sliders.jpg

Snowday_ready2.jpg

:D:PB)

Nice, my wife won't let me go out and play in the snow. We have the same conditions here so it's nice to know what the Pathfinder is really capable of doing. What did you lower your tire pressure to ? The wife might need to use the Pathfinder to get to work tomorrow, so I thouht I might air them down a bit. Working from home does have its benefits.

he thanked everyone one but me and went on his way. Whatever...

Outstanding story! Yet as I sit here and read it, but I cant help but wonder what the expression on peoples faces would of been if there had been a team of Pathy's just going around rescueing them?

Can anybody else picture that? I mean what do you think the local Nissan Dealers sales would be that week?

Here they come to save the day, mighty Path's are on their way..... :lol:

I would not mind doing that with some of you guys all day. In this area at least, we'd probably would make the news................

Jim thats awesome..........

youve certainly flown the banner for us.

keep up the good deeds, surely it will pay off one day.

btw wot does the sticker to the back of your rig say? i cant make it out.

oh and do you drive the pathy for dell???? didnt ya get a company car? oh well you are way better off with the pathy!!!

also did you get my pm

steve

The sticker on the back window says www.nissanpathfinders.com

I don't get a company car, but I did get a $12,000.00 deduction for mileage last year from IRS. Actually, I rarely drive my Pathfinder for work unless the weather is bad. I bought a 1990 Ex-Cab Ford Ranger last January for $750 and then got the $12,000.00 deduction for the mileage that I put on it. Works for me. :D

Wow nice story and pics Jim,

Id love to pull some people out here but with the bald tires that would be alittle challenging :( But someday my pathy will be might enough to help out the community :)

• 3 years later...

I had a similar story happen last winter with my Pathfinder as well. I was driving on the freeway after a snow/ice storm, and a 1/2 ton Chevrolet 4x4 had slid off the side of the highway into a small ditch. It wouldn't have been so bad except it was full of snow and icy water. I pulled over to the side of the road, and got out to ask if they needed some help.

The guy looked over at the Pathfinder, and laughed a little and said, "that little thing won't pull us out". Keep in mind a stock 94 SE with brand spankin new 31/10.50 BFG All terrains. I just turned around opened the back and pulled out my tow strap. I positioned my front tow hook to the front of his truck, told him to put it in neutral( I didn't want him to run into me), and I would do the rest.

I must admit, I was a little nervous. I didn't want the Pathfinder to make a fool of us, so I put it in 4 low, in reverse, and slowly started backing up. I spun a little at first, but we started making some ground. The back end started to swing around toward the freeway, so I started to turn the wheel just a little, which gave me a little more traction. And to his surprise, he was back on the freeway.

I got out, with pride, a puffed up chest, and a huge smile and disconnected the tow strap. The guy and his passenger came over and gave me a high five, and asked what just pulled him out... I said a bone stock Pathfinder. I asked him if he was able to take it from here, and shook his hand, and off I went to work. That had to be one of the best feelings I have had in a car. It was awesome. I rewarded the Pathfinder with a pat on the dash and a full tank of Premium gas.

Here in Vancouver I didn't have much chance to play on the snow.

BTW, would the truck be more stable on a slippery road if I keep my back tires @28 psi and front ones @30? Just because there is more weight on the front...

I heard people pumping up their tires above 32 psi.

Guest SuperSon

Mr.Jim we need more guys like you in this community. 2 thumbs up man brother :aok::aok:

Sure would like to know what tires those are coz thats what Im buying :D

Edited by SuperSon

Jim lost his good job, his wife divorced him and he's living with a GF in Washington now. His Pathy has a blown clutch, hasn't been driven in a year or more. He's driving an old Ford Ranger to work and trying to keep on top of the bills. It's a sad story, but he just doesn't seem to be interested in NPORA anymore. He wouldn't help us get rid of the viruses, wouldn't get me owner access to upgrade the software, and has not responded to emails from hardly anyone. I also believe that he has been using the money people send in for membership to keep the site running, but since nobody's sent anything in in a while, he's been too broke to keep the forum site running.

I have to also say I pulled one out today. :aok: He just about went over a revine. Pulled him out and took him home. Truck wasn't driveable.

On behalf of Jim.....I'm going through the same thing right now and he will pull out of it. @!*% Happens sometimes and you need to keep moving forward and be there for yourself and the kids if you have any! I have two little ones and to be honest, I hope he doesn't have to go through the crap I've had and having to with having the two boys.

Keep the Faith JIM! :beer:

I too did some extracting. Pulled my friends 2006 protoge out of a snow drift at lunch. Had to use moms isuzu rodeo as the pathy ain't drivable at the moment.

Too bad to here about jim, its a great thing that he started. I right now also have no cash and the pathy's been off the road for 2 years next september :sniff: