93 Pathy Se vibrates severely

dragracerjosh

Im looking to pick your brains here is whats going on:

When you go over a bump it shakes violently in the steering wheel. The Tires are all newer and in good shape, made no difference when I rotated them. Everything feels tight in the front in and looks ok which is what confused me!

Other than this it drives pretty good and runs real nice.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Lug nuts all on snug? Age/condition of the shocks? How did you check the front end, juts visually looking or jack it up and feel for wheel bearign/b.j./tie rod end/etc play? Does your truck have a steering stabalizer on it?

I'd guess idler arm, center link, ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc. Just a matter of which...

I'm willing to bet that your lower control arm brace bushings (towards the rear, a bar that goes through the frame) are shot (most are, they don't last long) and that affects the ability to handle a hit greatly.

B

Good idea!! :aok:

B

I just noticed you posted about it already, I was skimming for "tension rod" and "compression rod" specifically here before I replied so I didn't catch your post.

So X2 to what B already said. :lol:

X3 To tension rod bushings. Also check your Centerlink. Does it vibrate at highway speeds too? I had a mystery shake/handling issue that I finally fixed after 2 years turns out it was the upper control arm bushings...

Neither do I, the correct term per Nissan is "compression rod." "Tension rod" is used on the 2WD and older (pre-'87) Nissan trucks.

Rockauto has them. $23 for a set of polyurethane Moog ones. Look under suspension.

• 4 weeks later...

Replace your front (anti) sway bar bushings and endlinks. Replacing mine made a huge difference on the handling when going over bumps and in changing lanes. A kit should cost 25-50 dollars depending on your location.

I don't have sway bars and know they make a difference but i would suspect that a different component that was worn out wore out the sway bar bushings and it will soon come back...typically the sway bar only helps in roll where a bump or excitement in the suspension will give you bump steer being the sway bar has no impact on steering just body roll

also with the compression rod bushings i had bad vibrations on the highway and a pot hole or crosswind would give me "bump steer" and the only way to correct was to reduce my speed and let it oscillate out then accelerate...driving cross country with a trailer was not fun like this...