Nissan gl-4

1987caddy

Hey everyone, I'm replacing the clutch this weekend and I thought I would change the transmission fluid. The dealer has the gl-4 in stock and is it synthetic or dino oil? It's 11 bucks versus 19 for royal purple. Which would be best? Can't order online, takes too long. I changed the fluid 20k miles ago with redline. Would it be ok to reuse? Having to buy 8 quarts can get pricey. Thanks

I don't know how long recommended use is for MT90, but IIRC the tranny oil change is every 30k miles and if you drive hard, wheel, do water crossings, etc, the interval may be less. I'd say play it safe and don't reuse the Redline, or you can jsut wait another 10k miles and change the tranny fluid then. Regardless, it will have no effect on the clutch...

As for is it dino or synthetic, I'd guess dino, but just call and ask them...

B

If you start having a stiff shifts in the future. The redline mt90 will smoothen the shifting out. That is why I put it in my new transmission to begin with. Yea it is a bit pricey but still cheaper than a transmission overhaul.

Mark

Edited by msavides

I had to order from summit racing. The goofball at the dealership tried to give me pennzoil gl-5. I told no thanks I like my transmission in one piece. I pulled up a pic of the Nissan gl4 bottle to prove that Nissan has there own line of gear oil. Ordered from summit on Monday and it showed up the next day.

Redline Mt90 is the best stuff IMO.

Redline MT90 (75w90)-Full Synthetic GL4 made specifially for our type of transmission (japanese & "soft" internals) I order it direct from redline by the gallon and it gets to me in 3 days.

Royal Purple 75w90- Full Synthetic GL4 & GL5 (can use it on tranny, t-case AND diffs) Found at most local retailers and is compatible with other types (can mix with blended, dyno, mineral etc...)

Nissan GL4 (75w90)- Dino oil, can be ordered at most dealers... I prefer one of the above.

I change my tranny and diff fluids on a ~2yr interval

IF I did get a little water in them from crossings I would splash some seafoam(4oz) to will dry them out and the water vapor would escape thru the vent line.

But if you keep up on your seals (inner axle and input/output shafts) water has a very hard time seeping in there. IME

So is the royal purple 75w90 ok for the transmission (5 spd for a 91) even though it says gl 5 on it? (as well as gl 4)

yes royal purple Meets both standards therefore tho is has the protection level of a gl5 and it also has the corrosive phosphor removed in accordance with the GL4's spec.

IIRC 1 gallon mt90 is like 55 bucks direct from redline.

Looks like I will just place an order from Redline, way cheaper online. Also, I don't need to pay $72.50 for 5 bottles when I can get the same amount in 1 gallon + 1 bottle for $62.50, right?

But I was gonna get fluids for the diffs as well, but they need 80w90 right? Which redline doesn't have? Then there's the transfer case... sigh, too many fluids! Amsoil has synthetic 80w90. Is that good?

Probably this should be in that "lube" thread in the garage section.

Some info I put together a while back..OEM GL-4 is a 75W-85 with a 12.1cSt. MT-90 is a little thick compared to the OEM stuff, which has a viscosity of 12.1cSt. MT-90 is 14.0 or so cSt. This is not a big deal in warmer climates, but the MT-90 was a little notchy in my tranny. The easy thing to do is add a quart or more of Redline MTL. MTL has a vis. of 11.1cSt and is the same base fluid as MT-90 so they mix fine. This will get you closer to the 12.0-12.5cSt range, which is optimal for these transmissions. Right now though I have the OEM stuff and my shifting is fine at any temp here in New England.