Need help with Fluids

onefast87

'95 Pathfinder: I just changed the ATF in the transfer case and the guy at the store told me Dextron 3 was superceded by Dextron 4 which was superceeded by Dextron 5 and that they are all backwards compatible (anyone have a comment on this?). When I changed the ATF in the transmission, I bought the fluid at the dealer as I've read that the transmission is very particular about what type of Dextron it uses. That said, it seems that all Dextron fluids are not created equal. My advice: suck up the costs and buy it from the dealer when you are changing it in the transmission.

Edited by lint

Dexron III has not been superseded by anything. It's still out there, on a shelf in almost any store. That's all power steering fluid is as well.

I believe you put transmission fluid in the transfer case when you have an auto, in case a seal were to start leaking and transfer fluids. At least that's what I've read multiple times in threads on this forum. I used the search function and found 8 pages of threads with information on fluids...

"Dexron III has not been superseded by anything. It's still out there, on a shelf in almost any store."

Damn! I hate it when those parts-guys start talking like a knowitall just to make the sale and sell me the wrong stuff.

I Dont believes atf goes in the tcase? Thought it was gear oil but I may be just ignorant to autos

you can put ATF Dex III or Gear Oil api GL4 75w90 in the t-case. Just don't mix them. I would run whatever is in your tranny just incase the seals start to leak. (since the T-case IS THE SEAL on the MT)

Edited by MY1PATH

• 2 weeks later...

ok i bought everything i need to to a tranny/diff/transfer case flush.

next question is where do you fill the transmission from?

on my 5 speed, i would fill it from the shifter location.

Down the dipstick tube, it's no fun and hard to find a funnel small enough.

USE ONLY NISSANMATIC-D FOR ATF

it is Dexron III with a viscosity modifier

the dealer sells it for dirt cheap

it looks like i'm late again :mellow:

ya its a little late for me.i got a great deal on a 5 gallon pale of esso ATF dexron III.

next questions is there a filter on the auto transmission?

im a little confused by the sticky post "Changing auto tranny fluid?".

i was just gonna drop the drain plug,drain the auto fluid, refill, drive and repeat.(2 flushes) am i missing something?